• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How Winnipeg Got Their Hockey Groove Back

I'm glad to see the NHL back in Winnipeg. Canadian fans are so fanatically loyal to the game
they really deserve to have it at the highest level. Hockey has never done well in Atlanta and
apparently it never will. For that matter Hartford and Quebec City aren't looking like such bad
hockey markets nowadays compared with some other places the league has tried.

Supposedly the AHL's Manitoba Moose will move to St. Johns, Newfoundland and become the
top farm club for Winnipeg's new NHL team.

Word to the editor over there:

"One name that’s off the list is Thrashers. True North didn’t buy the or the logo as part of the deal."

??? What? I get the logo part, but what is the team going to do now? they're not allowed to have the word 'the" in their new name... they didn't pay for the rights to use "the"! :D

Latest is that apparently they do have the rights to the name "Jets" and will play in the
Eastern Conference, at least for next season.

The Western Conference would make more sense (rivalries with Minnesota, Edmonton, Calgary)
but it looks like a bit of a scrum is going to break out between Columbus and Detroit to see who
gets to move into the East to replace them.

Now only if they can get the portrait of Her Majesty out of storage...

It would make sense to move Nashville to the Southeast, but getting Detroit on the tube at East Coast-friendly times seems to be the bigger priority.

Ironically, Atlanta was the westernmost team in the Eastern Conference.

Re: IS Quebec next???

JayR said:
Yeziknoradio said:

I'll paraphrase my previous quote...

Maybe Quebec City can somehow woo the Panthers away from south Florida.

Local groups in Quebec are organizing bus tours to NY Islander games, trying to provide sell-out crowds
that the Isles would not normally get. The goal is to convince their owner to bring the team north when
his lease in Uniondale runs out in another four years.

Ottawa almost lost their team a few years ago when the Coral center was almost declared bankrupt.
ScotiaBank (a bank in Canada) came to the rescue, took over the place and changed the name to the ScotiaBank center. (it's actually spelled "Centre" in Canada)

There was a little pinpoint in time where Quebec could have snatched up the Ottawa team if they felt it would be viable.

They have a pretty good shot at winning the current one (aside from the fact that the Bruins'
Tim Thomas is standing on his head to make saves).

What has to drive hockey fans in Canada nuts is the future potential of Team USA in the Olympics
and World Championships. All of the great Canadian players end up with NHL teams down here in the
states, where they have sons born who are US Citizens. The last names on those teams are starting
to read like a Whos Who of great Canadian players past. Canadians will be just sick over this once it
reaches critical mass.

FreddyE1977 said:
What has to drive hockey fans in Canada nuts is the future potential of Team USA in the Olympics
and World Championships. All of the great Canadian players end up with NHL teams down here in the
states, where they have sons born who are US Citizens. The last names on those teams are starting
to read like a Whos Who of great Canadian players past. Canadians will be just sick over this once it
reaches critical mass.

If I'm not mistaken, those "sons of America" are eligible to play for either Olympic team because they can have dual citizenship.

That was certainly the case with Mark Howe, Gordie's kid who was born in Detroit and
played many years with the Philly Flyers. I believe he had played for both Team USA and
Team Canada at various times. But he is the only one I can think of. I am told (and
maybe some Canadians on this board can confirm) that Team Canada is pretty cool
to the idea and not especially welcoming of a player who comes from the States, even
if he holds dual citizenship.

Some of the lower-tier Olympic squads (Italy, France) are made up almost entirely of
Americans and Canadians who hold dual-citizenship for whatever reasons.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom