• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How Will Ryan Seacrest Do KIIS-FM and "Live with Kelly" at the Same Time?

I thought I was specific - DJs speaking for about 10 seconds in the middle of 3-5 songs, but at no other time. It amounts to almost no DJ content at all.

If it gets them ratings then why should they change? It may not give YOU a compelling reason, but their target demo obviously likes what they're doing.

But as I said, there are lots of stations with talkative DJs, but perhaps they don't play the music you want. That's a choice you have to make: Talkative DJs or a specific style of music. But I can tell you that every city has at least a half dozen stations with talkative DJs. Just tune up and down the dial. Or would you prefer me to give you a list? Certainly the guy who is the topic if this thread is an example of a DJ who talks quite a bit. The other iHeart CHR host Elvis Duran is another. Another guy we've mentioned in this thread, Steve Harvey, is a third example.

Last edited:

The Seacrest show is made up of "work parts" which are inserted in each station's programming at the time and position needed. It has been that way for years. He's not "in the studio" doing a live show most of the time. And it's not an "LA" show, either. The station personalization is done separately.

Sad, isn't it? A fine example of why radio is going away.

Can't wait to see iHeart go belly-up. And it will, it's only a matter of time.

The only part that has been live for years has been some of the Monday show. All the rest has been pre-records. Nothing changes but the logistics.

Again, very sad.

Radio news and happenings these days is akin to watching a loaf spin in the can before it goes out the drain to the sewer.

There is. Anyone who listens to the show knows that he has a co-host: Sisanie. She handles all the local LA stuff, and has been with the show about two years.

Then the question is, What do you need Seacrest for?

Was it really worth unplugging Rick Dees for this Grade-C crap radio?

The show that is being "recycled" here is Idol. I had a party after the last show was on Fox. Ms. Flipper is a huge fan and so twice a week for months on end I had to see teenagers sing songs I've never heard of or butcher the ones I have (that they have never heard of). The "Idols Sing Billy Joel" episode a few years back was especially bad. I am not happy about the whole situation.

The show that needs to be brought back is The Gong Show. At least on that one, when they started singing off key, they were gonged away. Yes!! (Sadly, the genius behind the Gong Show, Chuck Barris, passed away recently).

ChannelFlipper is exactly right! And Gong will be back on ABC this summer. :)

Again, very sad.

Radio news and happenings these days is akin to watching a loaf spin in the can before it goes out the drain to the sewer.

No, this is using technology to allow talent to do a show even as part of a busy schedule.

Your comment seems a lot like those made by doubters who said that Bing Crosby's use of the tape recorder to pre-record shows would destroy those shows and radio. It didn't... it made radio better.

Sad, isn't it? A fine example of why radio is going away.

Can't wait to see iHeart go belly-up. And it will, it's only a matter of time.

If iHeart goes Chapter 11, certain debt holders would take a haircut and iHeart would get debt service that existing broadcast cash flow could be paid, allowing the station group to continue operating as it does today. The average listener would not note any difference.

No, this is using technology to allow talent to do a show even as part of a busy schedule.

Your comment seems a lot like those made by doubters who said that Bing Crosby's use of the tape recorder to pre-record shows would destroy those shows and radio. It didn't... it made radio better.

Disagree. Someone other than Seacrest is cobbling together bits of this and that into something loosely called a "show."

Dees? Live show. Casey's AT 40? Pre-recorded show. Cousin Brucie? Show.

In my opinion, you're using the word "talent" very loosely here. :)

Uh, revenue and ratings?

Hardly. Half-arsing four jobs doesn't make him a talent. No one watched American Idol for Seacrest, and his canned radio show on KIIS is a laugher.

And "American Top 40?" Psh. So many ummmms and aaahhhhhhs. Casey Kasem would hurl.

In my opinion, you're using the word "talent" very loosely here.

Radio is not something that can only be done one way. It never has been, going back to the 20s.

Ultimately, its the listeners who decide who has talent and who doesn't. In the case of Seacrest, the listeners love him. He is not responsible for any failings you might perceive in radio. He is one of the few people that listeners want to hear, and can only hear him on OTA. There are no talents you can name that mass audiences are listening to on other platforms, like Pandora or Spotify.

Hardly. Half-arsing four jobs doesn't make him a talent. No one watched American Idol for Seacrest, and his canned radio show on KIIS is a laugher.

And "American Top 40?" Psh. So many ummmms and aaahhhhhhs. Casey Kasem would hurl.

It doesn't matter if Casey Kasem would hurl, or if he would embrace it. This is today's audience, and Seacrest has done quite a good job at connecting with that that audience wants. Were he not, he wouldn't be in high demand--which also most likely speaks far more to his work ethic than someone with an axe to grind. He's not my cup of tea--but I recognize the talent he has and the effort he puts into all that he does, just as folks like Dick Clark did back in the old days. (And that young whippersnapper Clark wasn't to the liking of every old head back then either.)

Embracing what technology makes possible does not make anything less a "show." If the audience welcomes it, and by extension it delivers the audience advertisers are paying for, it's hitting the mark. How someone did it "back when" is utterly irrelevant in that regard.

Ryan Seacrest will never be Dick Clark. Dick Clark was an amazing talent, and I still remain in awe in his seemingly effortless ad lib skills from his early days from the clips from his Beechnut Show and American Bandstand.

That being said, Seacrest has come a long ways from his early days with Idol. He comes across a little warmer and more genuine than did Clark. Each has their own unique strengths and talents, so ultimately statements like my opening argument are unfair.

Nobody buys potato chips for the salt, but without it they taste bland and unexciting.

It is a different time. Sea rest is doing what today's CHR audiences want in a countdown show.

Last edited:

Nobody buys potato chips for the salt, but without it they taste bland and unexciting.

It is a different time. Sea rest is doing what today's CHR audiences want in a countdown show.

I agree. But that is more a personality trait than what audiences want. I for one am in the minority in that I enjoy him as the host of American Top 40. I admit I didn't like him at first, but he has grown on me a lot over a decade. In many ways he was the right guy to take over. There are things about the current show that does annoy me at times with the cross-pollination with On Air when it comes to celebrity guests that are non music related (Trevor Noah, this week) that has nothing to do with what the show's flow other than it's a celebrity plugging something. However one thing that I enjoy that Kasem never allowed was that we get the artists perspective with Seacrest interviews. That is a plus. And tell me something good is the Long Distance Dedication of the 21st century. In many ways it will never be what it use to be, but then again. It doesn't have to be. I listen to other countdown shows and he is THE BEST OF THEM ALL! (Dees is too old and NEEDS TO GO AWAY, Carson Daly is too bland and a poor carbon copy, Hollywood Hamilton is a veteran that gets it done, but has limited affiliate coverage.)!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom