• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How will KGB respond?

M

MGDForEver

Now that KGB is the only classic rock outlet in San Diego, do you think they'd consider eliminating the evening replay of DSC in favor of JM in the PM? Further, if they would consider it, would JM consider taking them up on the offer? don't get me wrong, I think DSC are hilarious, but this could be a great chance for KGB to add more music back into their daily lineup with one of the greatest jocks in the business.

Jim is great. But, KGB ratings are the best they've been in a real long time now. Even BEFORE the only competition evaporated. I doubt they will try and fix what's not broken.

> Now that KGB is the only classic rock outlet in San Diego,
> do you think they'd consider eliminating the evening replay
> of DSC in favor of JM in the PM? Further, if they would
> consider it, would JM consider taking them up on the offer?
> don't get me wrong, I think DSC are hilarious, but this
> could be a great chance for KGB to add more music back into
> their daily lineup with one of the greatest jocks in the
> business.
>

JM at KGB? Been there, done that...

> Jim is great.
Yes, he is.

But, JM was let go from KGB prior to landing at KPLN.
Why would they hire back someone that they let go in the first place?

Re: JM at KGB? Been there, done that...

> > Jim is great.
> Yes, he is.
>
> But, JM was let go from KGB prior to landing at KPLN.
> Why would they hire back someone that they let go in the
> first place?
>

Love to hear him but yea he got blown out at KGB....would be nice to hear music in pm and not the replay of the am show........too much hate talk radio in san diego going to KYXY even more fans to make it #1 but I am sure someday they will change toooo hopefully not peace out jim

I would make a big heap out of the competition being all talk and no fire...and make a big thing of them being wholly satellite driven....

> > > Jim is great.
> > Yes, he is.
> >
> > But, JM was let go from KGB prior to landing at KPLN.
> > Why would they hire back someone that they let go in the
> > first place?
> >
>
>
> Love to hear him but yea he got blown out at KGB....would be
> nice to hear music in pm and not the replay of the am
> show........too much hate talk radio in san diego going to
> KYXY even more fans to make it #1 but I am sure someday
> they will change toooo hopefully not peace out jim
>

Why?

It's kind of a moot point. Now, there IS no competition.

- Doc

> I would make a big heap out of the competition being all
> talk and no fire...and make a big thing of them being wholly
> satellite driven....

I get the feeling that this Free FM is based too much
on a offensive strategy to Sirrius (and XM) and isn't
based in listener needs. Adam, Diamond Dave-you can't
learn to do morning radio in 30 days. There is simply
not a lot of younger targeted talk talent out there.

I would make a big heap out of the competition being all
> talk and no fire...and make a big thing of them being wholly
> satellite driven....
>
>
> > > > Jim is great.
> > > Yes, he is.
> > >
> > > But, JM was let go from KGB prior to landing at KPLN.
> > > Why would they hire back someone that they let go in the
>
> > > first place?
> > >
> >
> >
> > Love to hear him but yea he got blown out at KGB....would
> be
> > nice to hear music in pm and not the replay of the am
> > show........too much hate talk radio in san diego going to
>
> > KYXY even more fans to make it #1 but I am sure someday
> > they will change toooo hopefully not peace out jim
> >
>

> > Jim is great.
> Yes, he is.
>
> But, JM was let go from KGB prior to landing at KPLN.
> first place?
>
Definitely a fair point. If not JM, then how about someone else playing music in the evenings? My point is that if you're now the only classic rock station in SD, how about actually playing more classic rock?

Re: Why?

JM could always go back to KPRI, since he worked there back in the day before going to KGB!

Of course...it was a different KPRI...on a different frequency...meh, just an idea.

> It's kind of a moot point. Now, there IS no competition.
>
> - Doc
>
> > I would make a big heap out of the competition being all
> > talk and no fire...and make a big thing of them being
> wholly
> > satellite driven....
>

Actually...

A friend who works there told me that JM talked with Bob Hughes after KGB dumped him, but KPRI is voice-tracked except in AM Drive, and JM likes to work live. (And who can blame him?)

- Doc

> JM could always go back to KPRI, since he worked there back
> in the day before going to KGB!
>
> Of course...it was a different KPRI...on a different
> frequency...meh, just an idea.

Been there, done that...Over and Over and Over and Over times Infinity

> first place?

SD radio is full of re-treads. The market is chock full of some real prime examples, I wont mention names, but too much 'remember when' and 'glory days'. Sure some were 'big in the 80s' but that was almost 30 years ago.

XM and Sirius must lick their chops when they see that happening in markets of SD size, and its not just SD.

Re: Been there, done that...Over and Over and Over and Over times Infinity

> XM and Sirius must lick their chops when they see that
> happening in markets of SD size, and its not just SD.
>

Stay tuned, as there is one compelling issue that both services have to do:

Make a profit.

So, before they "lick their chops" they have to have more than jingles on air -- they need jingle in the bank deposit. Both in the sky services have been draining money since launch. Both expect to make money next year .... still a big IF.<P ID="signature">______________
+--
Chris
SDRadio.net</P>

San Diego In The Cross Hairs Of Satillite Radio...click, click...

>
> Stay tuned, as there is one compelling issue that both
> services have to do:
>
> Make a profit.
>
> So, before they "lick their chops" they have to have more
> than jingles on air -- they need jingle in the bank deposit.
> Both in the sky services have been draining money since
> launch. Both expect to make money next year .... still a big
> IF.
>

So you still think that XM and Sirius wont take off? You cant honestly be that naieve. They both have millions of subscribers, and we havent hit this years holiday sales, or the 'stern factor' yet. Yes it took alot to get these services off of the ground, it truely was an investment. But now they have the next 30+ years to work on their profit. Not just 'next year'. dont be so short sighted with your vision.

As for only having jingles on air...have you even listened? I own both services. Just about every channel I listen to has jocks. And they aren't low level re-hash either. The air talent on these services is beginning to read like a radio 'whos who' list of radio talent. Then the specialty shows on each channel, the talent on some of those shows...my goodness! From Liquid Todd to Tony Hawk (huh?!?!) to Cool DJ Red Alert to Groove Radio...it is what radio should be. In a market like San Diego, where they continue to re-hash, re-tread and re-use their buddies and in-laws that they worked with back in the day...FM radio is screwed. Especially with such high gross income households in SD, the people of San Diego can afford the monthly fees and recievers, that is if they dont get one free in their new BMW along with the first years subscrpition paid for. What is 10 bucks a month to a guy who makes $80,000+? Nothing.

I think the companies in large markets like SD have done themselves in by continuing to hand the listeners the same stale product over and over again and trying to pass it off as 'new'. Again, I dont want to mention names...but there are a few prime examples in San Diego. Owners should have looked to (break the bank a bit) bigger name talent...and breaking new talent to at least provide freshness. Bringing on some guy from the 80s, another guy with a 90s specialty show and breaking talentless talent that listeners dont relate to because they read the liner card, interviewed well, and are no more a threat then milktoast to ANYTHING is exactly why the demand and desire for radio service like XM and Sirius came about. What I think is even worse, is local FM stations airing the same syndicated programming (FOX Sports for example) that is provided on Satillite. You might say "well, they get the same thing for free on regular FM", but what they have done is provide a crossover and a name people recognize when considering these services...knowing that if they drive out of town or on vacation they wont have to worry about missing "JT The Brick". In this case I think local FM is providing an appeal for prospective Satillite radio buyers. The reminder will come when they take that drive into Vegas to party. Youknowhutimean. "Maybe that XM is a good Idea because I left all my cds at home and we still have 3 more hours till vegas...uho...accident...we ll be sitting here for 6 more hours with nothing on the radio...but if I had XM..."

FM in smaller markets will be better off battling these services because you dont see as many multi-million dollar homes and people in as higher gross income brackets as you do in larger metropolitan areas.

The only thing I see sticking around in the San Diego market in say, 10 years, is Local Talk Radio, Spanish and Syndicated programming designed to turn people on to purchasing Satillite radio. Even then Im not sure that will be a winning $$$ proposition. In fact I think San Diego will be one of the first and hardest hit by satillite radio over the next 5 years. Why? Bad PDs who have stroked themselves for years and a larger portion of the population who can and will pay for satillite radio.

Re: San Diego In The Cross Hairs Of Satillite Radio...click, click...

>
> So you still think that XM and Sirius wont take off? You
> cant honestly be that naieve. They both have millions of
> subscribers, and we havent hit this years holiday sales, or
> the 'stern factor' yet. Yes it took alot to get these
> services off of the ground, it truely was an investment. But
> now they have the next 30+ years to work on their profit.
> Not just 'next year'. dont be so short sighted with your
> vision.
>
Reality check. Both services lose more money than they have in income... for every dollar they take in, they spend three.

It will be many years... 4 to 5... before either could approach profitability. By then, we may have other broadband services that are more attractive.

For the moment, we have two very expensive services that have fewer subscribers than the cume of New York's top 2 or 3 radio stations.

Oh, holiday giving is a tiny boost for satellite. Most satellite radios are preinstalled in new cars, not add ons.

Sure,it is real and appeals to a smaller segment of the public. But it is not an imminent threat to the profitability of terrestrial radio, and, in fact, may never be.

Re: San Diego In The Cross Hairs Of Satillite Radio...click, click...

> So you still think that XM and Sirius wont take off? You
> the 'stern factor' yet. Yes it took alot to get these
> services off of the ground, it truely was an investment. But
> now they have the next 30+ years to work on their profit.
> Not just 'next year'. dont be so short sighted with your
> vision.
>

It actually is not a given that either of these will survive: this is not a world where investors will, for too long, tolerate big losses - they all want a quick fix.

But that issue aside, I can see where the Internet could make satellite radio unnecessary. I pay $29.95 for unlimited wireless broadband through my Treo 650. I slip that phone/PDA into a cradle in my car and listen to Internet radio while driving around town (and at home, I just plug in stereo headphones and put the Treo in my pocket). I've created my own playlist of Shoutcast-enabled stations. I also, of course, have full Internet browsing on the Treo (works really well) and a regular email service, so it's not one-trick-pony like a sat. radio (the Treo has talking GPS too). I still find it amazing that I can cruise along at 65 listening to an all-blues Internet radio station from Finland, and on DEFCON comedy I can hear uncensored comedy that makes Stern sound like, well what he is: a guy whose whole act depends upon having FCC restrictions, so he can titilate himself and his listeners by trying to see how far he can go before he gets in trouble. Stern will not be the savior of satellite and we will re reminded that the King of All Media has thus far only done well in one media: traditional broadcast radio.

Having full mobile Internet access makes a one-way satellite with a mere 100 channels of music only seem like yesterday's technology. The cell phone companies are doing some great things with expansion of on-the-go highspeed wireless access, even as prices drop. If I'm paying $29.95 for such access today, there's no reason not to expect it to be $14.95 before too long.

SIRIUS & XM COMBINE FOR 8.5 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS...LARGER THEN SAN DIEGO AND IN THE TOP 3 OF MARKET SIZE

>
> Reality check. Both services lose more money than they have
> in income... for every dollar they take in, they spend
> three.
>
Reality check. Old news. They have invested over the past few years to get off the ground and will be out of the red and into the black by next summer. Every business takes it in the beginning to get going. Dont matter if your a satillite radio provider or a kiosk in a mall...you will be in the red before you see the black.

> It will be many years... 4 to 5... before either could
> approach profitability. By then, we may have other broadband
> services that are more attractive.
>
Whatelse can I say beyond you being wrong, because they expect to be making profit beginning about the summer of 2006. 2007 should be all profit for XM. Other broadband services that would impede on teresstrial radio?...I concurr. Terrestrial radio is taking it on all angles.

> For the moment, we have two very expensive services that
> have fewer subscribers than the cume of New York's top 2 or
> 3 radio stations.
>
Expensive? Not at all. Im not rich, and I own both services. Definatley not expensive to the large amount of people in a market like SD where the average individual gross annual income is a gazillion times what these services cost! The fact is the total amout of subscribers of both services is well over 8 million people which would make them as large as major top 5 markets. Larger than SD. If NYs top 2 or 3 stations have a cume of 8 million, which I doubt, that is impressive.

> Oh, holiday giving is a tiny boost for satellite. Most
> satellite radios are preinstalled in new cars, not add ons.
>
Tiny boost? Not at all. GM alone is adding 1.5 million radios in 2006. That is only one company, in one year. Ford expects to add 1 million sirius subscribers over the next 2 years. XM just inked a deal that will put millions of XM radios in their and Infinity autos over the next couple years. Even Delphi has sold 2.6 million units to date. Throw in the Sprint deal, and some others on the way...it just gets uglier.

XM added 310,000 subscribers alone in the third quater, they currently have about 6 million subscribers. SIRIUS added about 210,000 bringing their total to about 2.5 million subscribers. Which actually makes SIRIUS satillite market alone the equal of San Diegos population. The two combine for 8.5 million subscribers which makes them the equivilant of #3 market in the US. Second to only NY and LA.

>
> Sure,it is real and appeals to a smaller segment of the
> public. But it is not an imminent threat to the
> profitability of terrestrial radio, and, in fact, may never
> be.
>
Smaller segmet of the public? Millions of subscribers over the past few years isnt a small segment David. The current total of 8.5 million subscribers is not a small segment. Would you call Chicago a small market? AND This is somthing that is really just getting of the ground and gaining in popularity. Yet they are already a top 3 market on their own with approxamitly 8.5 million subscribers. By next summer they will both combine to have over 10 Million Subscribers. By next years end there will be more satillite radio listeners then NY radio listeners.

The future is here. High gross income citys with stale, recycled programming like San Diego have been marked for termination. Like I said, 5 years and your average San Diego radio listener will not even be able to identify JACK from 91X from AM. And it will be the companies and programmers that did it to themselves.

? for Crusty Bob

I pay $29.95 for
> unlimited wireless broadband through my Treo 650. I slip
> that phone/PDA into a cradle in my car and listen to
> Internet radio while driving around town (and at home, I
> just plug in stereo headphones and put the Treo in my
> pocket).

I've heard about the Treo... How do you listen/hear the output from the Internet stream you have accessed while you are driving? I mean does the sound play through your car stereo speakers, does it have a built in oscillator transmitting over the FM band that you can access that way, do you listen on headphones/earphones (not too desirable while driving). I'd really love to be able to listen to live Internet streams in my car.

Regarding XM or Sirius, I had an add on XM unit in my previous car and it was a pain to use and tune while still trying to focus on driving. Then the "Oldies" channels programming was too restricted to Decades .... the 50s Channel did play some titles from '60, '61, '62, and '63, but then played a few songs (50s) I never heard of. I like a variety/mix of 50s-60s-and early 70s songs similar to the last few months of KOOL 99.3's playlist. I HATE reverb and I heard that too much on the 60s Channel, I HATED Terry "Motormouth" Young, then I remembered why I never liked Bruce Morrow and B Mitchel Reid (when he was on WMCA). XM only had 2 AAA-type channels that were too tame... Ahh XM just wasn't worth it and I find a lot of what I like on Internet radio stations such as RadioParadise.com and WOXY.com. I will gladly pay a little extra to be able to hear these stations as well as WRLL Real Oldies 1690 in my car. Terrestrial music radio offers little to me, I do listen to talk radio and sports talk radio. In the meantime here is what I do: I record streams of Internet radio I like at 75 minute intervals on my 'Replay Radio' software and then burn this programming onto 80 minute CDs which I listen to in my new car which has a 6 CD changer. Get the CDs at Costco in bulk, so they cost about 20 cents each.

1.4 billion reasons why .....

>
> So you still think that XM and Sirius wont take off?

I didn't write that; I believe that both companies have to show a profit, a return on investment. It's like the dot com industry that went dot bomb. Loved that sock puppet ....

> You
> the 'stern factor' yet.

Millions of subscribers: impressive. But they are lossing a lot of money. They may not have the 30-years you indicated when all those bonds and financing come due.

Also: I do have one of the services for baseball. It's great. I also have the other service via satellite TV with their music section.

Again, not being naive, it's a bidness -- while bidness is good in subscriber base, to survive those companies must show a profit.

From the SEC:

-595.19M What XM lost; and Sirius -802.46M (in millions of dollars). That's a total of one billion three hundered and ninety-seven million, six hundred and fifty thousand dollars.

Market cap for XM is: 6.63B and for Sirius: 9.26B

I do not disagree with your summation that these companies will survive; from an investor point of view, the large losses that nearly touch a billion dollars when the cap is really close, could cripple their growth in the long term and could cause a consolidation.

Stay Tuned<P ID="signature">______________
+--
Chris
SDRadio.net</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom