• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How Much Modulation is Enough for Music on AM?

So here's a question for you: Since VChimp is able to listen to your play-station, that means technically you're streaming music. Have you signed up for Sound Exchange, ASCAP, and BMI?
*gulp*

No, I haven't, but it's password protected, and so far only two people other than myself have access (VChimp and a friend up in the Mendocino area). My understanding was that as long as I keep it on this private, case-by-case experimental basis, I'm OK. Yes?

c

*gulp*

No, I haven't, but it's password protected, and so far only two people other than myself have access (VChimp and a friend up in the Mendocino area). My understanding was that as long as I keep it on this private, case-by-case experimental basis, I'm OK. Yes?

c
My understanding is if you stream on the public Internet, you're streaming. For example; a subscription streaming service might require a password for entry. Now, of course you aren't charging a subscription, but a password is required for listening to the stream.
So yes, technically you were streaming.

Hmm, OK.

Since I can't afford the license right now, I guess I'll just shut the stream down so I don't get into any trouble.

It was fun while it lasted...

c

Hmm, OK.

Since I can't afford the license right now, I guess I'll just shut the stream down so I don't get into any trouble.

It was fun while it lasted...
Now just pray someone doesn't figure out that you've been streaming copywritten music, and start asking you to pay for what you've already streamed. Plus penalty fees.

Last edited:
Now just pray someone doesn't figure out that you've been streaming copywritten music, and start asking you to pay for what you've already streamed. Plus penalty fees.
I think you are overreacting. While technically in violation of copyrights, a personal stream is the same as having your music system connected to your home's wi-fi. The rights organizations know that there is no payback from controlling and licensing those things and the potential for bad publicity is outstandingly large.

Some guy puts music on his wi.fi so his invalid mother who is confined to bed can hear her favorite songs. ASCAP or BMI sues for royalties. The press talks about the disable grandmother who just wanted to hear Doris Day's songs one more time.

At most, you might get a C&D if they were able to prove you were even doing that. Even that is hard to do.

My understanding is if you stream on the public Internet, you're streaming. For example; a subscription streaming service might require a password for entry. Now, of course you aren't charging a subscription, but a password is required for listening to the stream.
So yes, technically you were streaming.
And if the stream is not accessible to anyone except the poster and his friend, it is for all effects protected and private. There is nothing in trying to find those users and billing them. And there is a huge PR downside.

And if the stream is not accessible to anyone except the poster and his friend, it is for all effects protected and private. There is nothing in trying to find those users and billing them. And there is a huge PR downside.
This is what I thought!

I know I'm taking a risk by doing it, but I thought I could protect myself from much of that risk by ensuring that it remains private (i.e., not publicly listed in a directory, where anyone can access it) and restricting access to myself and a few close friends. Kelly A's comments caused me to doubt even that, so I decided that, for the time being, I'd shut it down until the dust settles. A reset, as it were. There's a chance I may be moving soon anyway, so I might as well get prepared now to avoid at least some of the moving chaos later.

In the meantime, Part 15 AM broadcasting (provided I strictly adhere to the rules) has a more minimal risk, requiring only a nominal $312/year fee to BMI, correct?

c

In the meantime, Part 15 AM broadcasting (provided I strictly adhere to the rules) has a more minimal risk, requiring only a nominal $312/year fee to BMI, correct?

c
That only covers one of the 4 author/composer/publisher fees.

Putting the stream on local WiFi vs. the public Internet is two completely different things. I doubt his stream was encrypted, so there was no assumed security involved. Streaming copywritten music to the public Internet is still streaming.

Back
Top Bottom