• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How many dance fans, also like Indie Rock?

M

midwestclubber

Being a fan of Underground Indie Alternative music myself, and knowing several other dance fans who also are. Im curious to see how many of you also like this kind of music, and would it work mixed in with some dance? There are stations in the uk that play both, Beat 106 in Scotland is a good example, but would it work here? Its hard to imagine it in the States. The only comercial stations that ever sounded close to this, was the (OLD) WLIR 92.7 Long Island, and 93.3 KTCL in Denver. KTCL hasnt sounded like this since the late 90s, maybe early 2000, but they BOTH changed, so it must have not worked for them.

> Being a fan of Underground Indie Alternative music myself,
> and knowing several other dance fans who also are. Im
> curious to see how many of you also like this kind of music,
> and would it work mixed in with some dance? There are
> stations in the uk that play both, Beat 106 in Scotland is a
> good example, but would it work here? Its hard to imagine
> it in the States. The only comercial stations that ever
> sounded close to this, was the (OLD) WLIR 92.7 Long Island,
> and 93.3 KTCL in Denver. KTCL hasnt sounded like this since
> the late 90s, maybe early 2000, but they BOTH changed, so it
> must have not worked for them.
>

We did it on Cain FM.... not gonna happen on Groove D.

I love Indie Rock. I was a listener of both Indie "rock" and dance throughout the 80's and into the early 90s. When Alternative music died (after the Cobain invasion), I stuck solely with dance music. I don't know why either, I just did.

Today, my iPod is just as likely to have Tegan & Sara on it as it is Delerium. I can listen to the two interchangably. Way back in the day, CFNY in Toronto often mixed in dance with indie music. Eg, it was common in 87 to hear Raze - Break for Love mixed in with The Smiths - Shoplifters of the World.

I also really still dig that modern pop dance music, stuff like Erasure or remixes of Blur. Probably why I think "The World is Mine" is so cool. And what riff IS that song ripped from? Simple Minds ?

Dance and Indie rock (Alternative)
Basically , thats what I do on my station.

I still find a lot of times, when you go from one genre to another, thats when you tend to lose listeners.
in the USA, it seems people want only one format.

http://k-bear101.tripod.com

I think that's always been the case with every format. There is "alternative" that leans very closely to Dance...stuff like Chemical Bros.

The two sorta morphed together back in the day. The Electro-pop sound of the 80s, and to a lesser extent, the shoe gazer thing in the 90s. Gwen Stefani did a good example of a dance/alt crossover with What ya waiting for.

Or maybe we've been trained by radio to be narrow.

Dance and Indie rock (Alternative)
> Basically , thats what I do on my station.
>
> I still find a lot of times, when you go from one genre to
> another, thats when you tend to lose listeners.
> in the USA, it seems people want only one format.
>
> http://k-bear101.tripod.com
>

Love both genres. Unfortuneatly Philly radio currently pretty much snubs both of them since Y-100 was shut down earlier this year and Mix 95.7 switched to BEN and dumped the only commerical mixshow that bothered to play dance music. :(

> I think that's always been the case with every format.
> There is "alternative" that leans very closely to
> Dance...stuff like Chemical Bros.
>
> The two sorta morphed together back in the day. The
> Electro-pop sound of the 80s, and to a lesser extent, the
> shoe gazer thing in the 90s. Gwen Stefani did a good
> example of a dance/alt crossover with What ya waiting for.
>
>
> Or maybe we've been trained by radio to be narrow.
>
> Dance and Indie rock (Alternative)
> > Basically , thats what I do on my station.
> >
> > I still find a lot of times, when you go from one genre to
>
> > another, thats when you tend to lose listeners.
> > in the USA, it seems people want only one format.
> >
> > http://k-bear101.tripod.com
> >
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom