• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How does one "license" a format?

K

Keith_Lake

I read on another radio message board how the "Jack" format currently sweeping the nation is the creation of one person who is currently reaping meeny meeny pesos from it. The same is true, I believe, of the "Arrow" format and a bunch of others.

How does one go about creating, copyrighting and licensing something as elusive and ethereal as a radio format? What would stop me from patching an Ipod directly into a transmitter and calling it "Bill" or "Loomis" or some other cutesy name, as long as it ain't "Jack"?

I may have found my entry into the radio business again.

KL

<a href="http://home.nc.rr.com/gttyson/lastradio.html">The Last Radio Station<a>

> I read on another radio message board how the "Jack" format
> currently sweeping the nation is the creation of one person
> who is currently reaping meeny meeny pesos from it. The
> same is true, I believe, of the "Arrow" format and a bunch
> of others.
>
> How does one go about creating, copyrighting and
> licensing something as elusive and ethereal as a radio
> format? What would stop me from patching an Ipod directly
> into a transmitter and calling it "Bill" or "Loomis" or some
> other cutesy name, as long as it ain't "Jack"?
>
> I may have found my entry into the radio business again.
>
>
> KL
>
> The Last Radio Station
>

"Jack" is a copyrighted name and format by some guy in Colorado I think. The "Bob FM's" are licensed by Sinclair Telecable in Norfolk, where they started the first one on 106.1 (soon moved to 93.7) a couple years ago. There are other incarnations, but I think the only way the idea is proven an infringement is by name. In other words, a station like 95-7 Ben FM in Philly is a "we play everything" station, but they don't have to license the format because they aren't called "Jack."

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is how it works.

Think of it as the whole Clear Channel "Kiss FM" debacle. Stations could be CHR, they just couldn't call it Kiss FM.<P ID="signature">______________

Eastern NC & Raleigh/Greensboro Board Moderator</P>

> "Jack" is a copyrighted name and format by some guy in
> Colorado I think. The "Bob FM's" are licensed by Sinclair
> Telecable in Norfolk, where they started the first one on
> 106.1 (soon moved to 93.7) a couple years ago. There are
> other incarnations, but I think the only way the idea is
> proven an infringement is by name. In other words, a
> station like 95-7 Ben FM in Philly is a "we play everything"
> station, but they don't have to license the format because
> they aren't called "Jack."
>
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is
> how it works.
>
> Think of it as the whole Clear Channel "Kiss FM" debacle.
> Stations could be CHR, they just couldn't call it Kiss FM.
>

"Jack-FM" and "Playing what we want" are registered trademarks of Big Sticks Broadcasting/Buzznet Media (Cadillac Jack Garrett and Famous Amos, among others) and is licensed througout America by Wall Media (some other licensor distributes in Canada).

Because of what is trademarked ("Jack" and the slogan), a license must be obtained to use either in the United States or Canada. That is what Infinity did--they paid Big Stick Broadcasting/Buzznet Media for the ability to use "Jack" and the slogan "Playing what we want".

Now, it's true that the Jack-style/variety hits format itself cannot be trademarked or copyrighted, anymore than Bill Drake could have trademarked his style of Top 40--but he could trademark/service mark the slogans and whatnot, like "Boss Radio" (he didn't). The format is not a product or service that could be "personalized" or positively defined (for lack of a better word): playing the top music records with announcers and jingles is not particular to a Drake station or any other station; it is instead the way radio stations work. No oldies station could trademark or copyright the oldies format (the first oldies station to use "oldies" however could have obtained the trademark to "oldies" however).

The moment Cadillac Jack and Famous Amos used "Jack" or "Jack-FM" it was trademarked by law. By registering it (and the slogan), they obtained additional nationwide protections under the Lanham Act (15 USC 1051, et seq.) and international treaties. That means that anyone nationwide who wishes to use "Jack", "Jack-FM", or "Playing what we want" to identify their station must obtain permission (license) from Big Sticks Broadcasting/Buzznet Media.

You may be asking yourself, what about Bob-FM, Ben-FM, et al.? There may indeed be a trademark dilution case there, where the "Jack" originators plead that there is a "likelihood of confusion". "The courts will typically look to a number of factors, including: (1) the strength of the mark; (2) the proximity of the goods; (3) the similarity of the marks; (4) evidence of actual confusion; (5) the similarity of marketing channels used; (6) the degree of caution exercised by the typical purchaser; (7) the defendant's intent. Polaroid Corp. v. Polarad Elect. Corp., 287 F.2d 492 (2d Cir.), cert. denied, 368 U.S. 820 (1961)." (Overview of Trademark Law, <a target="_blank" href=http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/metaschool/fisher/domain/tm.htm>http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/metaschool/fisher/domain/tm.htm</a>)

But, a court may decide that "Jack" is far enough removed from "Bob" to avoid confusion; it would be a tighter case if a NYC station went with "Jackson-FM" or "Jackie-FM" in light of 101.1 being "Jack-FM".

As for "KISS" being a CC trademark--they have a national trademark on the "Kiss" name, it cannot be used without Clear Channel's permission/license. However (and this goes for "Jack" as well), if a station in area X was using the "Kiss" moniker before Clear Channel licensed it, that station in area X may continue to use it without playing Clear Channel a thing--first in time, first in right. Although Clear Channel may have a national registered trademark, it must bow to those who had a localized trademark/servicemark in a certain area that pre-dates the CC registry.

BTW--Just ran a search, and "Kiss FM" in a stylized format is trademarked, but "Kiss-FM" as words themselves is not. It may be that Clear Channel is only using "Kiss" in certain geographic areas, and not registering it--then they are only protected for that specific area and any foreseeable areas to which they may expand. (Example: assume CC only had "Kiss 108" in Boston and no other Kiss stations. They have a trademark by law for Boston and its general area even if not registered. It's probably assumed that CC could foresee expanding its Kiss franchise to Hartford, CT, so an operator may be enjoined from using "Kiss" there. But a station in Seattle, WA could adopt the "Kiss" moniker and CC could do nothing about it if they did not register the "Kiss" name, because Seattle is not a foreseeable market expansion from Boston.)

> "Jack" is a copyrighted name and format by some guy in
> Colorado I think. The "Bob FM's" are licensed by Sinclair
> Telecable in Norfolk, where they started the first one on
> 106.1 (soon moved to 93.7) a couple years ago. There are
> other incarnations, but I think the only way the idea is
> proven an infringement is by name. In other words, a
> station like 95-7 Ben FM in Philly is a "we play everything"
> station, but they don't have to license the format because
> they aren't called "Jack."
>
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is
> how it works.

If I recall correctly, CHUM Radio of Canada owns the Bob-FM trademark, and is under license in the United States through consultant Joel Folger, who helped Sinclair Telecable implement the format in Norfolk.

Another example are modern rock stations that call themselves "The Edge." The station has to be consulted by (or pay a fee to) Jacobs Media in order for a stations to call themselves The Edge.

> Nicely done, Johnny. What do *you* charge an hour??
>

I'd tell you...but I'd have to charge you. :)

"Talk is cheap. Unless you're talking to a lawyer."

So what you're saying is "Jack" is the creation of CONSULTANTS?!?!?!

AAAAAAARGH

KL

href="http://home.nc.rr.com/gttyson/lastradio.html">The Last Radio Station<a>

> So what you're saying is "Jack" is the creation of
> CONSULTANTS?!?!?!

"Playing what they want."
<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

> So what you're saying is "Jack" is the creation of
> CONSULTANTS?!?!?!
>
>
> AAAAAAARGH

No, "Jack" is the creation of two very recently former on-air talents, Cadillac Jack Garrett (Bob Perry) and Famous Amos (Russ DiBello), late of New York radio, including Jammin 105. "Jack" started as an Internet station back in 2001, and since then has been marketed and licensed to other stations and ownership groups (including Infinity).

If that's a consultant (it's not), then so be it. But other than licensing the stuff (and maybe providing some direction), it's not the reviled consultant you seem to know and loathe.

Remember, the consultants normally aren't calling the shots--PDs, GMs, or Regional Vice President of Programming (a particularly Clear Channel title) are the ones doing the dirty work. However, there are some consultants who miss the line between consulting and running.

"Jack's" originators aren't like that--they're licensing what they own.

> However, there are some consultants who miss
> the line between consulting and running.
>
> "Jack's" originators aren't like that--they're licensing
> what they own.

But it appears that they are indeed missing that line.

SparkNet -- owner of the "Jack" concept, is suing Bonneville for using the imaging phrases "Whatever We Want" and "Whatever We Feel Like." on their Jack clones in four markets, claiming it infringes on SparkNet's trademark "Playing What We Want".

In an interview on LARadio.com this morning, SparkNet attorney Derek Newman, after saying SparkNet is "a consulting service", was quoted as saying:

"Companies are trying to knock off JACK, but they aren’t doing it legally and they aren’t doing it well because you don’t get <u>the playbook and the research</u>." (Emphasis mine.)

Sounds like a "run it our way" license agreement to me ...

</P>

> But it appears that they are indeed missing that line.
>
> SparkNet -- owner of the "Jack" concept, is suing Bonneville
> for using the imaging phrases "Whatever We Want" and
> "Whatever We Feel Like." on their Jack clones in four
> markets, claiming it infringes on SparkNet's trademark
> "Playing What We Want".
>
> In an interview on LARadio.com this morning, SparkNet
> attorney Derek Newman, after saying SparkNet is "a
> consulting service", was quoted as saying:
>
> "Companies are trying to knock off JACK, but they aren’t
> doing it legally and they aren’t doing it well because you
> don’t get the playbook and the research." (Emphasis mine.)
>
> Sounds like a "run it our way" license agreement to me ...
>

First, just so some parties are set (this doesn't really get into my post, but it helps set out who is who): the "Jack" concept (name, slogans, playbooks, etc.) are trademark-registered and owned by Robert Perry, aka Cadillac Jack Garrett, of Big Sticks Broadcasting and Buzznet Media. Perry and Buzznet have established Sparknet Communications/Wall Media/Gary Wall as their official U.S. licensing agent (i.e., anyone who wants to use "Jack" has to go through them).

Sparknet is suing Bonneville on behalf of the trademark owner as its licensing agent.

Second, I have nothing inherently against consultants (neither am I necessarily pro-Jack). I am pro-owners of programming concepts (blame capitalism). Here, the situation is totally different from a typical consultant agreement: Buzznet/Big Sticks Broadcasting OWN the name, slogans, and the associated playbooks and research and concepts. "Jack" was a development of Bob Perry, and he has the right to control its use and dissemination across America.

Buzznet is a typical consultant: they have a framework in which they want to PDs to work--but the station's development is still at the local level, and up to the local (used broadly) PD to implement correctly.

But, Buzznet is also NOT your typical consultant: not many consultants have developed, trademarked, and OWNED an entire programming concept and format. That's what Bob Perry and Buzznet have done; they OWN the "Jack" concept, including the name, slogans, and the associated programming details that go with it.

It's true you cannot OWN the variety hits format (hell, I was doing it on college radio years ago, so my "trademark" pre-dates "Jack")--but variety is a fluid, undefined concept that cannot be trademarked or copyrighted. The "Jack" founders have no problem and no legally enforceable action against anyone who wants to do a "Jack"-like format. Buzznet's problem is with the likelihood of consumer confusion that will occur if Bonneville (and others, like "Ben-FM" and "Bob-FM", for example) use terms like "Jack" and similar slogans. Badly done "Jack" by non-licensed companies using same or similar slogans will dilute the good name "Jack" has/will obtain in the marketplace.

The music selection and format style cannot be protected; but the other stuff can be. And unless Bonneville, et al., pay for it, they should not be able to reap the benfits to the exclusion of the owners.

In this sense, they are not consultants. They are OWNERS. And, Infinity and others have signed up to the "Jack" program--they take all that comes with it. No consultant (that I know of) has a wholly OWNED programming concept.

Hell, even Bill Drake (the ultimate consultant) didn't own his concepts.

Let me clear this up. Big Sticks Broadcasting holds the JACK trademarks and licenses those marks to SparkNet. The playbook and consulting comes from SparkNet and they are the company marketing JACK-FM in the U.S.

> Let me clear this up. Big Sticks Broadcasting holds the
> JACK trademarks and licenses those marks to SparkNet. The
> playbook and consulting comes from SparkNet and they are the
> company marketing JACK-FM in the U.S.

I'll buy all that, but I wonder if SparkNet can win against Bonneville's use of imaging phrases similar to the Jack imaging. At some point, you have to step back and determine if using the word "whatever" in imaging can be considered a trademark infringement.

I hope Bonneville doesn't roll over and play dead like Fisher did. I'd like to see how this plays out in a courtroom.

</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom