• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How do you rate Dick Clark's Rockin New Years Eve?

Kevin Lagasse said:
Agreed that Clark is still a class act, stroke or not. I hate Ryan Seacrest as well. He's famous for a FOX series I've never watched a single second of (and never will).

Yeah, "On-Air With Ryan Seacrest" was pretty bad. Unless there's some other series you're referring to that I'm unaware of. :p

Dick Clark is great.

I thought there was great improvement in Clark's speech than last year- even better than the Grammy's appearance a couple of months ago. He is a legend, and as long as he is capable of doing something, he should continue to do it. As for Seacrest... time to go in another direction. Why not Jimmy Kimmel? Keep in in the ABC family.

I think you mean the American Music Awards (AMAs)? Dick Clark started that show up in the 1970s to give the Grammy Awards some competition.

Kevin Lagasse said:
BTW, was ABC's production in HD? WTNH-DT didn't seem to be working here in Connecticut at midnight. I know the production on FOX and NBC wasn't. ???

Yes, it was broadcast in HD. So I guess that the MCO at WTNH forgot to switch to HD instead of upconvert....

Here in Northeastern PA, our ABC station was having problems with their DT signal. It kept cutting out every 5 seconds. I know for sure that it wasn't my cable provider since other people have been complaining about it.

Dick did very little in last year's broadcast. He was very still, not moving his arms (I believe his left arm was very bad last year and didnt move at all).

Last night, he talked alot more than last year (including counting down the last 15 or so seconds more "fluently" than last year), his voice was stronger than last year, he gestured alot more than last year (both arms), and took the show into and out of commercial breaks which I dont recall him doing at all last year.

He wasn't involved at all in the primetime (10pm-11pm) portion although Seacrest teased his eventual appearance several times. And I think he was done for the night by about 1215am ET when Seacrest finally moved into the studio.

I give Dick Clark one more year before he retires from the show for good. And I'd much rather see almost anyone other than Ryan Seacrest become permanent host.

As for the rest of the show, I wasn't terribly impressed with Fergie and the pre-recorded West Coast party or with Ciara and the pre-recorded New York party.

And I thought last year's live Times Square performance with Mariah was much better than this year's live performances with Rascal Flatts and Christina.

And did anyone notice that Rascal himself (during their first song) either momentarily forgot the words or maybe lost his place during the song?? Maybe his earpiece wasnt working and he was picking up too much noise. He picked it back up fairly well but it was noticeable to me.

When Dick Clark leaves, so will I. New Years Eve is nothing more than a group of under-talented, over-publicized, here today, gone by this evening "talent", whose performances...taped AND lip-synched makes you wish they would ALL go away when the year changes.

Time for Times Square to become the New Years "Yule Log"...just go from shot to shot of the crowds, the buildings, the lights, the ball and the confetti. I ll have my party and we can just look up from time to time. No hosts, "performers", cliches. Just that great Times Square atmosphere...

Studio20 said:
Time for Times Square to become the New Years "Yule Log"...just go from shot to shot of the crowds, the buildings, the lights, the ball and the confetti. I ll have my party and we can just look up from time to time. No hosts, "performers", cliches. Just that great Times Square atmosphere...

If you have one of those C-Band satellite dishes, you could watch something like that -- they usuaully have one feed up, mainly for local stations and foreign networks, to televise only the street scenes and the ball drop.

Another funny observation. When Meatloaf sang "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights", all the kids/dancers did not recognize the song. They just kind of stood there and did not know the words. They really did not know how to dance to the song. I am pretty sure he was brought in to capture the older generation, but most of the program was geared toward 15 to 25 year olds.

tlyle said:
Another funny observation. When Meatloaf sang "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights", all the kids/dancers did not recognize the song. They just kind of stood there and did not know the words. They really did not know how to dance to the song. I am pretty sure he was brought in to capture the older generation, but most of the program was geared toward 15 to 25 year olds.

The majority of which aren't even home (at least those 21 and up) on New Year's Eve.

74WIXYGrad said:
New Year's Rockin Eve without Dick Clark would be like the Labor Day MDA telethon without Jerry Lewis. We all know the day will come when we are without both, but it won't make it any more easier. Here's some thoughts on my blog.

http://wixygrad.blogspot.com/2007/01/well-happy-new-year-anyway.html

That's what they said a generation ago about Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians. In time, another tradition will be forged, and 25-30 years down the road, the next generation will be saying how New Year's Eve won't be the same without <insert host here>.

My observations on Dick Clark's New years Rockin Eve 07:

To his detractors I say this to you, HE DID GREAT! for a man who suffered a stroke,
Now last year I wept when he was on, because here was a man who to me IS "Mr. New Years Eve"
and he was struggling, but HE WAS THERE!
This year I saw a more stronger vibrant Dick Clark, still a bit of a stumble with words but the treatmant and the recovery continue, he was good!

Ryan on the other hand, lets just say that "The young grasshopper continues to learn from the teacher,but still has more to learn"

Now as for the rest of the show....

The Hollywood segments with Fergie, not bad, BUT RBD looked a bit naked without their costumes, but were ok..Meat Loaf was good, the audience may not be totally hip, but overall,its L.A.

The...One...Problem..I ..Had...was...with...the ...obvious...cue...card...reading ...NY....Host...what...was...her...name!?

and how about those gold pants..or were they stockings on miss Tynsdhal

Not bad... A-

Dick Clark did fine. And for the brief time he was on camera. He looked like he usually does. Prior to his stroke.
I wish him all the best in his recovery. Seacrest. He has to go! While I'm not a huge fan of Jimmy Kimmell.
He is better then Seacrest.

I have to agree with lugnuts and the other supporters of Dick Clark.

For those of you who have stated that he should pass the torch and all that garbage, you just do NOT know what in the world you are talking about. Furthermore, it shows you haven't a clue as to what he's gone through as a survivor of a major stroke.

For one, Dick Clark's New Years' Rockin' Eve continues to do very well for ABC every year.

Secondly, why do you think soooo many other networks, including CNN and FOX News, do this? Because of Dick Clark. His limited on-air involvement over the past couple of years on the show hasn't hurt it in the ratings.

Even when Dick Clark is no longer part of the show, it'll still do well for ABC and beat all the others on TV on New Years' Eve. Many people tune in Dick Clark because he IS synonymous with New Years' Eve. I tune in for that reason as well. When Dick Clark is no longer part of it, neither will I.

traficstud said:
I thought there was great improvement in Clark's speech than last year- even better than the Grammy's appearance a couple of months ago.

You mean the Primetime Emmys?

Jonathan Allen

The best coverage period was on NYCTV, which just showed the uncut feed everyone else was getting, but with no annoying hosts and natural audio.
Who needs poptarts?

toby said:
The best coverage period was on NYCTV, which just showed the uncut feed everyone else was getting, but with no annoying hosts and natural audio.
Who needs poptarts?
What was this available on? Or is it simply a local/regional availability?

network said:
I have to agree with lugnuts and the other supporters of Dick Clark.

For those of you who have stated that he should pass the torch and all that garbage, you just do NOT know what in the world you are talking about. Furthermore, it shows you haven't a clue as to what he's gone through as a survivor of a major stroke.

For one, Dick Clark's New Years' Rockin' Eve continues to do very well for ABC every year.

Secondly, why do you think soooo many other networks, including CNN and FOX News, do this? Because of Dick Clark. His limited on-air involvement over the past couple of years on the show hasn't hurt it in the ratings.

Even when Dick Clark is no longer part of the show, it'll still do well for ABC and beat all the others on TV on New Years' Eve. Many people tune in Dick Clark because he IS synonymous with New Years' Eve. I tune in for that reason as well. When Dick Clark is no longer part of it, neither will I.

Why do I have to support Dick Clark just because he's a Stroke survivor?
New Years is supposed to be a party, and seeing Dick in his condition was depessing, not inspiring, because for years and years he was in such good shape. Nobody is suggsting that He should not appear, but it should not be called "Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years." I would propose that he be a guest just as all the other guests (who got more airtime than he did, might I add). Nobody is suggesting he should go away. But this stuff is not a charity. I'm sorry that sounds so harsh, and I know I will get beaten up for typing that. But again, let's be honest, he was not better, and his count was off, and EVEN ABC NEWS noticed it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom