• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How do I change bit rate in COOL EDIT?

One of our voice-over talents uses Cool Edit, but he does not know how to change sound quality bit rates. We would like him to use 256 kbps stereo . Currently he is defaulted at 128 kbps. Can someone please send instructions on how he change the bit rate? Thanks!

We use Adobe Audition and we thought the process would be similar so we instructed him as such but apparently the method may be different. Appreciate your help! josh

Josh: Does the talent use Cool Edit or Cool Edit Pro? I don't know if that would make a difference. I still have Cool Edit 2000 on my machine. (NOT Pro). I just took a file and saved it as an mp3 @256. Exact same procedure as in Audition 2.0

Be sure to remind the talent there is a choice near the bottom of that screen where you set low medium high quality which will affect which bit-rates appear in the upper part of the options window that you can select from.

Real easy for me to say because it's his money, not mine, but once in awhile I do something in CE2000 and when it comes to RESTORATION/Noise Reduction in particular, Audition just runs off and leaves Cool Edit in the dust. Once the Voice Tracking income reaches a comfortable level, he will love the day he upgrades.

BTW, 256 kbps stereo is the same quality as 128 kbps mono.

If all your VO guy is recording is straight voice, stereo is a waste of space and, if delivering through the Internet, bandwidth.

JQ... you win the prize for pointing us in the right direction.

Load a MONO file into either Cool Edit or Audition and you WILL NOT have the choice of saving it at 256. You only have that option if you have a two-track/stereo file open.

If for some reason you need it in stereo - tell your voice person to go to File: New: Stereo, choose 44100, stereo, 16 bit, ok. Record then Save As - under type choose mp3PRO then click on the OPTIONS button, choose CBR, MP3 and under drop down box choose 256Kbps, 44100. Click ok then name file and save. When talent records again in stereo it will automatically choose this setting until he changes it.

Should you want to save a voice-only file in MP3 format with the very best quality with the least amount of wasted space, save it as a mono VBR (Variable Bit Rate) MP3 with a setting of 100.

So I do most voice only work in AA3, and in MONO. I have the option on saving MP3Pro files at 128K 41000. BUT I overwrite that 1128 and type in 256 in the bitrate window, and it seems to make a difference. Is there any reason that it will only save at 128 as the best it can do with a MONO file? OR am I not really saving in 256..even though I manually type that in..???

The 128 kpbs setting for mono CBR MP3s is just a hard-coded preset in Adobe Audition. You can use the advanced settings to set it as high as 320 kbps. If you use 256 kbps for mono MP3s a lot, why not add it as a preset?

If you want to verify that your mono 256 kbps MP3s are indeed recorded at that rate, you can play them in a MP3 player like Winamp that displays the bitrate as it plays the file. Also, if you save a mono audio file at 128 and then again at 256 using a different file name, you can see in Explorer that the 256 file is twice the size of the 128 one.

BTW, I've never messed with MP3 Pro much, going with "normal" MP3 much. When Adobe Audition (then called Cool Edit Pro) came out with the MP3 Pro option, very few MP3 players supported MP3 Pro. I don't know how widespread MP3 Pro playback support is now, but if you try to play a MP3 Pro-encoded file in a player without MP3 Pro support, it doesn't sound that hot.

Of course..the file size is different, and I can hear a very slight difference (mostly in high freq artifacting) so I like the 256. I will really like it when we can adapt AAC as a standard..much smoother to my ear at least.

I've seen AAC and/or AAC+ used for streaming. (Bob Orban has produced a codec for decoding AAC+)

I don't have a program that will save a file as AAC as far as I know. Is there one that currently will do that? A program that will convert a WAV to AAC? Is this maybe part of the Apple family?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom