• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How are KYA, KIOT, and KXLR Related?

I was listening to this aircheck of KOIT 1260 from July 1985, evidently taken shortly before their flip to soft AC, and I noticed something odd about the station ID announcement, which identified the station as "KXLR" instead of the expected "KOIT".

I know that KYA became a simulcast of KOIT in about 1983 or so, but how does KXLR figure in? The only KXLR I can find information on is an FM in Alaska.

So, it would appear that 1260 that, at the time, was not KOIT-AM, but rather KXLR, despite the fact that most other announcements ID the station as 1260 KOIT.

Also, did this station (KOIT/KXLR/whatever) broadcast in C-QUAM back then? This aircheck seems to be of a noisy AM-like signal, yet it's in stereo, so it would seem that it indeed was broadcast in C-QUAM (or perhaps one of the other competing systems that were briefly in use at the time), but I don't know for certain, hence the question.

Any information is much appreciated, thank you! It seems to represent a gap in the historical record that I've inadvertantly discovered (or not? Maybe this is all common knowledge; I wasn't alive then, so I can't say what went on :) ).

c

1260 in San Francisco used the call sign KXLR for about 6 months in 1985.

I don't think the call sign KYA was in use in San Franccisco after 1260 changed calls to KOIT (AM) in the early 80s, after the station was acquired by Bonneville.

KXLR broadcast a news-heavy format, at least during the day. It was very short lived, probably because much of its broadcast programming came from the Mutual network, which was itself dying.

I was listening to this aircheck of KOIT 1260 from July 1985, evidently taken shortly before their flip to soft AC, and I noticed something odd about the station ID announcement, which identified the station as "KXLR" instead of the expected "KOIT".

I know that KYA became a simulcast of KOIT in about 1983 or so, but how does KXLR figure in? The only KXLR I can find information on is an FM in Alaska.

So, it would appear that 1260 that, at the time, was not KOIT-AM, but rather KXLR, despite the fact that most other announcements ID the station as 1260 KOIT.

Also, did this station (KOIT/KXLR/whatever) broadcast in C-QUAM back then? This aircheck seems to be of a noisy AM-like signal, yet it's in stereo, so it would seem that it indeed was broadcast in C-QUAM (or perhaps one of the other competing systems that were briefly in use at the time), but I don't know for certain, hence the question.

Any information is much appreciated, thank you! It seems to represent a gap in the historical record that I've inadvertantly discovered (or not? Maybe this is all common knowledge; I wasn't alive then, so I can't say what went on :) ).

c

If this is an aircheck you found online, it's most likely of the day KOIT changed call letters to KXLR (July 14, 1985). Bay Area broadcast engineer Mike Schweizer recorded it and it's been up on Archive-dot-org for around 20 years.

What's confusing about it is that they jumped the gun and changed the calls on Sunday, the 14th, but the new format for KXLR, from Easy Listening to "Trendformation Radio"---a hybrid of interviews and what the station described as "new age jazz"---didn't happen until Monday, the 15th.

If you search Archive-dot-org, you'll find an hour of the old format from July 14th where they ID as KOIT, followed by an hour (still in the old format) where they ID as KXLR---and the 5:00 a.m. Monday July 15th hour, which has network news and the Jim Bohannon "America in the Morning" program, which is likely where the "Trendformation" format actually kicked off.

Here's R&R from the week of the change (scroll to page 3):

And R&R January 24, 1986, with the announcement that they're going back to Easy Listening as KOIT-AM:

I don't think the call sign KYA was in use in San Franccisco after 1260 changed calls to KOIT (AM) in the early 80s, after the station was acquired by Bonneville.

93.3 was KYA-FM until 1994. 1260 was divested to Bonneville when King got KSFO, and 93.3 picked up the KYA calls.

Back
Top Bottom