• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Houston's Radio News War Starts Now

petertrip

Inactive
Inactive User
Houston's Radio News War Starts Now

Cumulus Media is gunning for the news image in Houston currently held by Clear Channel's KTRH “newsradio,” and the weapons of choice are the new FM signal on 97.5 and a younger-skewing, FM attitude. “We know what’s at stake when we say we want to be the leading news radio station in the market,” Cumulus market manager Pat Fant tells BillboardRadioMonitor.com.

http://billboardradiomonitor.com/ra...article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000939274

KIOL who?

I think it is safe to say that Cumulus is concentrating way more on KFNC than KIOL. The company knew it could win the old KLOL crowd over with rock playing computer server in KIOL, but the bread and butter will come from KFNC.

Consider it a biased source, but the KFNC air talent claimed this format is a new one that will be getting great attention across the country - especially if it does well here.

If KFNC does succeed, Fant can put another notch in his belt of hits.

Re: KIOL who?

> If KFNC does succeed, Fant can put another notch in his belt
> of hits.
>
And if he doesn't, he can put a notch in one of his detail wrapped caskets.

LOL......I just couldn't resist!

SW

Re: KIOL who?

It was KFNC's first day. KIOL's first day didn't go real great either. I think there will be refinements made in the way the news blocks are handled. Right now you feel like you are overhearing a conversation going on at another table in a restaurant. It is fast paced, which it will need to be. The news has to be delivered to the radio audience though, not laughed about between those in the news room. I think that will chance fairly fast. KFNC could have a very good news product in a short time.

Now does Clear Channel bring back news to KTRH to match KFNC, since even though KTRH has been out of the news business for some time, many in Houston still think KTRH when it comes to news. KTRH has messed up lately on some big stories because it has no staff to cover them and true news people remember that. If KFNC can carve out a place where Houstonians tune to 97.5 FM for breaking news stories and their news blocks, they might win the war. I think that KFNC would do better if they were news from 5am to 7pm and did the talk at night. They would have the people that want news all day tuning in throughout the day. Eventually it would be nice to see them go to 24 hours. But then today was a good signal day. What happens when there is important news and you push the button in your vehicle and get Country music from Corpus?

Mike O

> > If KFNC does succeed, Fant can put another notch in his belt
> > of hits.
> >
> And if he doesn't, he can put a notch in one of his detail
> wrapped caskets.
>
> LOL......I just couldn't resist!
>
> SW
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom