• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Houston, I think the pattern migth be outta whack!

I can't absolutely prove it but I think KGOW 1560 might have a problem with it's pattern. I've mapped it and I was in a null when I was in Wyoming but heard it nightly. I'm in a null now as well from my location 250 miles NW of Anchorage, Alaska but I heard KGOW on top of KNZR Saturday night in the 11pm AK hour Sat. Sept 23rd.

Despite having no internet access when I DX, I didn't need it to confirm what I had was KGOW 1560 bellaire (HOUSTON) Texas.

Theres only one Vietnamese language station on 1560 in the entire US, and Vietnamese compared to the other asian languages just sticks out and is more obvious to me... but even so.. I was texting with a friend who pulled up their webstream and was comparing what I was describing to what he heard!

TEF6686 radio, 15 foot wellbrook loop and DXEngineering amp

Reports on this site have mentioned KGOW has been operating from the night site, at night power, for quite a spell. If so, it's beyond out of whack. Your report from Alaska, plus my experience with it here and quite listenable most days, tells me it's not shooting out over the Gulf as it is supposed to do. You'd think the reports of KGOW would be coming from Tampa, maybe the Keys, and along the coast. Instead, look where it's actually reaching.

The problems have been numerous for this particular facility since 2007, when it upgraded from its first Houston tower. What do you do, though? The facility has no translator attached, so no one in their right mind would want to take it off of Gow's hands. Viet Radio is currently in the process of purchasing KNGO in Dallas from the Hammond group, but not KGOW from David Gow down in Houston. Pretty much tells you what 1560 is worth right about now.

Reports on this site have mentioned KGOW has been operating from the night site, at night power, for quite a spell. If so, it's beyond out of whack. Your report from Alaska, plus my experience with it here and quite listenable most days, tells me it's not shooting out over the Gulf as it is supposed to do. You'd think the reports of KGOW would be coming from Tampa, maybe the Keys, and along the coast. Instead, look where it's actually reaching.

The problems have been numerous for this particular facility since 2007, when it upgraded from its first Houston tower. What do you do, though? The facility has no translator attached, so no one in their right mind would want to take it off of Gow's hands. Viet Radio is currently in the process of purchasing KNGO in Dallas from the Hammond group, but not KGOW from David Gow down in Houston. Pretty much tells you what 1560 is worth right about now.

KGOW was a NIGHTLY visitor in SE Wyoming.. and one houston engineer said "you hear it better than many houstonians do"

When I was in Tampa, I could turn the radio to the WNW and hear KGOW.

Then when I turned the radio the NE, I could hear WFME New York.

Back
Top Bottom