• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HOT AC IN A MIDLIFE CRISIS

S said:
In Chicago, there probably is a hole for something like KLCK/KUCD/96X. The Mix is doing extremely well as Adult CHR, XRT is doing decently for a AAA (albeit an older-leaning one), and while Q101 wasn't setting the world on fire, a 2-share in an over-radioed market like Chicago can't just be dismissed.

As a trend though, I don't see it. The problem with the last Modern AC building boom (late 90's) is that companies tried to shoehorn the format into many markets that just couldn't support it. It's a niche format that only works if there's a format hole (would be silly to put Modern AC into a market with an adult and mainstream-leaning Alternative) and the population to actually support it (would be silly to put Modern AC into a market like NYC or Miami).

All good points. The only question is which underperforming station could flip to a Modern AC anytime soon. There aren't that many poorly performing stations now that the two lowest rated stations have been banished to HD/internet land (which might not necessarily be a bad thing). My guess would be an underperforming Spanish station if the ownership is willing to go for a contemporary music format, but right now there is not much room for new formats right now. That is when and if 101.1 gets blown up due to lower ratings than most suburban rimshot stations earn!

I'd love to see Modern AC in Chicago - I'm just a little unsure about why some markets support it and others don't (i. e. why Norfolk VA has two Modern AC stations, WPTE and 96X, while Richmond VA has the most conservative HAC in the country)

The only pattern I can really find is that in markets with extremely Rhythmic CHRs, Modern AC seems to fill a new music "hole" that's easier to draw listeners to than in markets where the CHR plays some Alternative-leaning music

WPTE isn't really Modern AC, unless Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, and Lady Gaga are now considered Modern AC.

96X is more of the prototypical new Modern AC (like KLCK), but they've got a long way to go to beat WPTE in the ratings.

The new 96X is doing way better than the old Alternative 96X was, though- they may have hit onto a good idea for declining Alternative/AAA stations. Make the mix more accessible and PPM will reward you.

S said:
WPTE isn't really Modern AC, unless Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, and Lady Gaga are now considered Modern AC.

A lot of Modern ACs play Katy and Bruno (KQKQ/Omaha, KCIX/Boise, KOSO/Modesto, etc.) - I don't think we can let KLCK define the entire term, cause that's essentially three stations nationwide

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom