• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Holiday ratings are in

Holiday 2020 ratings: Houston/Galveston - RadioInsight

Monster numbers for Sunny's Christmas music as expected.

KSBJ showing strength with its own Christmas music.

Expected seasonal drops for a number of stations.

The Bull is up a bit, 93Q and Country Legends sink a bit.

The Beat showing a stronger pulse.

Mega 101's recent slump might raise some eyebrows. KAMA is down a bit as well.

KUHF sure has plunged. Election aftermath?

And our favorite dumpster fire, KROI, sinks further into the zeroes. Radio One just made some shuffles to KROI's format twin in Indianapolis (and programmed by the same person IIRC) so perhaps changes on the way here?

KFNC-FM show to have and HD2 signal. I haven’t picked up anything on HD2. Heck I haven’t even heard KFNC-FM on HD.

KFNC-FM show to have and HD2 signal. I haven’t picked up anything on HD2. Heck I haven’t even heard KFNC-FM on HD.

KFNC has never had a HD2 signal and doesn’t to this day. So the ‘ratings’ as shown are incorrect.

Not necessarily. If the encoder is programmed as KFNC-HD2 and it’s encoding, let’s say 99.9 FM and the pacers are picking it up, it won’t make a difference what dial the audio is coming from because the particular encoding signal is associated to KFNC-HD2. Which that can also be counter productive if you did not setup your equipment correctly and someone else can get your sales .

KFNC has never had a HD2 signal and doesn’t to this day. So the ‘ratings’ as shown are incorrect.
Forgot to add, it is license to have HD channels. Just because you have them doesn’t mean you use them. Look at KMIC, it hasn’t used HD since when Disney owned it (well at least at the beginning)

Attachments

• 2BFEBB5E-E1CD-4502-8834-83E9FE8D490F.jpeg
    2BFEBB5E-E1CD-4502-8834-83E9FE8D490F.jpeg
    640.2 KB · Views: 6
KFNC has a analog/digital hybrid transmitter and obtained licensing for HD broadcasting from iBiquity, which is now DTS. In theory, the digital is not supposed to effect the analog signal, but it reality.is reduces coverage. Very few people listen to the HD channels. Hence, the HD signal has been lowered where you might or might not pick it up south of Winnie.

There is no mystery or error here. Ratings reported for KFNC-HD2 simply mean the Houston translator on 92.5 is repeating the HD2 audio.

There is no mystery or error here. Ratings reported for KFNC-HD2 simply mean the Houston translator on 92.5 is repeating the HD2 audio.
I assumed that the ratings for HD2 were from the translator since sometimes the translator isn’t the same as 97.5. I haven’t been able to pick up an HD signal. Even on I-10 at Winnie

KFNC has a analog/digital hybrid transmitter and obtained licensing for HD broadcasting from iBiquity, which is now DTS. In theory, the digital is not supposed to effect the analog signal, but it reality.is reduces coverage. Very few people listen to the HD channels. Hence, the HD signal has been lowered where you might or might not pick it up south of Winnie.

KFNC is still not broadcasting a digital signal, despite the perjury that may be taking place on an FCC application. Regardless, even if a digital signal *was* being transmitted, the HD2 would need to be able to be picked up from the TX site that the 92.5 translator site is broadcasting from.

KFNC is still not broadcasting a digital signal, despite the perjury that may be taking place on an FCC application. Regardless, even if a digital signal *was* being transmitted, the HD2 would need to be able to be picked up from the TX site that the 92.5 translator site is broadcasting from.
Not 100% correct...if a xlator is coowned with the Parent FM, it's 60dbu contour cannot extend beyond the 60dbu contour of the parent..and in these cases,it can be fed by internet, STL, etc (sat not allowed) and not use OTA repeat..same thing if NOT coowned but xlator again does not exceed the parents 60dbu (fill-in)....if its not coowned, it can exceed the parents 60dbu but it MUST use over the air reception only.

Hey now, they got a new voice talent!!! ...that's reading the same liners that they've been using for years. More like The Stale 93Q....

Their sister isn't doing much better on the fresh liners.

"At Country Legends 97.1, we don't play new songs! Just the greatest country legends of all time. But sometimes, you're in the mood for something new. So check out our sister station, The New 93Q, at 92.9 FM" "...Baby, I will be your parachute!"

If this promo has been running since Parachute was "new country", which I'm pretty sure it has, that's going on 6 years.

Was KROI better when it was boom 92?

Was KROI better when it was boom 92?
Boom92 started out spiking in the low threes, but sank into the low to mid ones towards the end. The flip to CHR was a kneejerk reaction to the demise of Hot 95-7, which IIRC had been in the upper twos, so Radio One was hoping to grab that audience. They haven't.

All four of the previous formats Radio One tried on 92.1 had better numbers than the current RadioNow format, which is why I am astonished that they haven't yet pulled the plug and tried another format. The earlier formats all failed for different reasons, but I can't see how they could be satisfied with a station that consistently winds up in the zeroes.

Any word on the progress of the new KROI tower?

Not 100% correct...if a xlator is coowned with the Parent FM, it's 60dbu contour cannot extend beyond the 60dbu contour of the parent..and in these cases,it can be fed by internet, STL, etc (sat not allowed) and not use OTA repeat..same thing if NOT coowned but xlator again does not exceed the parents 60dbu (fill-in)....if its not coowned, it can exceed the parents 60dbu but it MUST use over the air reception only.
And there can't be any money changing hands from the station owner to the translator owner.

A translator owner may choose to rebroadcast an FM from outside the market (if they can pick it up) because they just happen to like the station, but the primary station can't lease the translator in this coverage extending scenario.

Houston/Galveston - RadioInsight
And our favorite dumpster fire, KROI, sinks further into the zeroes. Radio One just made some shuffles to KROI's format twin in Indianapolis (and programmed by the same person IIRC) so perhaps changes on the way here?
I know they moved Tino Cochino Radio to the mornings there, however I don’t expect changes to the Houston station in part cause the Kidd Kraddick Morning Show is a Texas based show, and I know the KKMS crew wants to keep a Houston affiliate as much as they can. If that doesn’t work @ 92.1 they’ll likely move to another station (likely back to 96.5 under new management now).
KKMS did the same thing in San Antonio.

I highly doubt management will avoid making changes because of where the syndicated morning show originates from.

My guess is that management is happy with how the sales team has been utilizing the station.

I highly doubt management will avoid making changes because of where the syndicated morning show originates from.

My guess is that management is happy with how the sales team has been utilizing the station.
They might be, but I remember when KROI picked them up, Urban One Houston was pleased in how they had a small but sizable following in this area via streaming from the days they were previously here. I don’t see much changes from them...yet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom