• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Holiday 2023 numbers are here

Covering the survey period from Thu. 12/7/2023 thru Wed. 1/3/2024, age 6+ overall,
alternate views:
-OR-

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis from Research Director Inc. will be available on Wed. 1/24/2024.

Holiday numbers: Houston/Galveston - RadioInsight

Usual holiday boost for Sunny.

The Bull pulls ahead of 93Q.

La Raza and El Norte both in the threes.

The Buzz turning into The BuZZZZZZZZZ?

KRBE sinking as well.

Been a while since KTRH was in the mid-twos.

Mega. Ouch.

K-Love still in the public ratings with a 0.5.

KAMA has been doing better after firing Beto Najera. Maybe the same will happen to KLTN without Raul Brindis.

Last edited:
Top 5+ demo rankings analysis from Research Director Inc.:

25-54: 1. KODA 2. KSBJ 3. KKHH 4. KGLK (up from #8) 5T. KAMA (up from #9) 5T. KKBQ
_______ 8T. KTBZ (down from #2) 8T. KBXX
18-34: 1. KODA 2. KAMA 3. KBXX 4. KQBT 5. KKHH 9T. KTBZ (down from #2) 9T. KILT-FM
18-49: 1. KODA 2T. KBXX 2T. KKHH (up from #9) 4. KGLK 5. KAMA 6. KILT-FM (up from #11)
_______ 9. KKBQ (down from #5) 12T. KHMX (down from #4) 12T. KRBE 12T. KQQK

KLOL is not doing well but from what I hear is the #2 billing spanish station in the market.
Again, Houston has had huge sample issues, particularly among 18-49 / 25-54 Hispanics. Inadequate age cell representation as well as a huge disproportion of non-Mexicans are among the issues. The MRC has not accredited Houston for quite a while.

Would someone please explain how KTBZ dropped so much in the overall numbers and from #2 to #9 in the 18-34? It's this a sampling issue also? They've been consistent in prior books and I haven't noticed any major changes in the station.

Would someone please explain how KTBZ dropped so much in the overall numbers and from #2 to #9 in the 18-34? It's this a sampling issue also? They've been consistent in prior books and I haven't noticed any major changes in the station.
I wonder if the audio going out for a split second constantly has anything to do with it. 🪰

I wonder if the audio going out for a split second constantly has anything to do with it. 🪰
I've noticed the issue my last several trips into Houston. Amazing that things like this are allowed to persist so long in a market this size. Their audio processing overall leaves much to be desired.

Would someone please explain how KTBZ dropped so much in the overall numbers and from #2 to #9 in the 18-34? It's this a sampling issue also?
Yes. As David alluded, sampling is already an issue in normal months, and sampling becomes even more of an issue over the four holiday weeks when people are out of normal life routines. Throw in the massive temporary gains for Christmas music, and you have a survey that is anomalous and not like any other month of the year. If you're looking a trending for the Holiday month and wondering what's going on... of course everything is going to be wonky in the holiday month! Things will reset in January and would expect KTBZ will be back within normal parameters. The HOLIDAY survey is not a picture of normal listening compared with the rest of the year.
Since KTBZ's audio clipping problem has been going on over a year now, I doubt that has made any appreciable impact in their ratings.

I am glad to hear this is not just ME. This has been going on for MONTHS....
I haven't actually sat down and listened to this station but I scan the dial a lot. And usually just the few seconds I land on 94.5 I will hear it cut out.

Yes. As David alluded, sampling is already an issue in normal months, and sampling becomes even more of an issue over the four holiday weeks when people are out of normal life routines. Throw in the massive temporary gains for Christmas music, and you have a survey that is anomalous and not like any other month of the year. If you're looking a trending for the Holiday month and wondering what's going on... of course everything is going to be wonky in the holiday month! Things will reset in January and would expect KTBZ will be back within normal parameters. The HOLIDAY survey is not a picture of normal listening compared with the rest of the year.
Add in the fact that PPM panel turnover during those 4 Holiday weeks is about two times as great as any other month, and you have a very volatile situation of remaining panelists being over-weighted.

Interesting to see that 95.7, which would probably share a lot of Christmas listeners with the mighty 99.1, held its own.

Speaking of 95.7, it seems like they’ve adjusted their playlist again, adding more 70s in again. I much prefer Houston’s “Spot” to its Dallas counterpart.

Interesting to see that 95.7, which would probably share a lot of Christmas listeners with the mighty 99.1, held its own.

Speaking of 95.7, it seems like they’ve adjusted their playlist again, adding more 70s in again. I much prefer Houston’s “Spot” to its Dallas counterpart.
Are they possibly chasing defectors from The Eagle as they move towards less 70s?

Not sure exactly which '70s songs you're referring to, but there are certain songs from that decade that have been in regular rotation since they changed to the current direction a couple of years ago even if they had been dropped from the Audacy Classic Hits stations. The only slight change I've noticed since then is that this past fall, there were a dozen or so songs that had either been added or re-added to the station in regular rotation ranging from Heart's "Magic Man" (1976) to The Killers' "Somebody Told Me" (2004), but it's otherwise been pretty consistent with what feels like the same 300-350 songs every week since about November 2021.

I would definitely say they were going after KODA during its first handful of years on the air, but it seems since the current PD arrived and took KKHH in its current direction that they are content doing their own thing and not really going after anyone directly. I feel like they'd have to play more '80s/pop if they wanted to go more after KODA, or more hard rock from the '70s/'80s if they wanted to go more after KGLK. But ever since they've went in this direction, their numbers have held pretty steady during the Holidays, whereas they had lost listeners to KODA in the Holidays from 2017-20.
If I recall, KKHH seems to rotate in and out the frequency of songs from the 70s and 90s/00s.
Since November 2021, they've been pretty consistent with 1 or 2 '70s songs an hour and 4 or so an hour from the '90s/2000s.

Last edited:
I just tried to tune in KTBZ and the audio processing was so atrocious, coupled with the audio chain having more dropouts than HISD, I'm surprised anyone can listen to it!
Constantly amazes me that so many station operators either cannot hear, don't ever listen to their stations or maybe just don't care. Over here in San Antonio there are several like that. When audio is your only product, you might think it would be issue #1. I'm convinced that the FCC has no interest in audio quality anymore, so it's up to the marketplace to vote by twisting the dial. So sad.

Back
Top Bottom