• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ho-Ho-Ho Propels KEZ to #1

From 3.9 to 8.8, and most of the December ratings come from November! Once again, KFWhyEye on Ancient Modulation bests KTR-FM...but non-comm talker KJZZ beats both of them. A lump of coal for the Goldminers at Lumberyard 14~Forty. Here's more http://www.radio-info.com/markets/phoenix

KEXX down to 0.8 more reasons for Riviera to dump Alternative Rock after all the changes they've made and nothing seems to work for them including Dave Pratt.

Everytime I look at this list I am just blown away that the once legendary KNIX (including the legendary studios) is just ship wrecked! Standing in 1993 could you ever have imagined that this station would have a 2.7 in its future!!! Clear Channel working their magic!! Hope the spirit of Buck Owens doesn't visit the ratings page on Radio Info very often, it will be very sad.

Smiths and Smittys said:
Everytime I look at this list I am just blown away that the once legendary KNIX (including the legendary studios) is just ship wrecked! Standing in 1993 could you ever have imagined that this station would have a 2.7 in its future!!! Clear Channel working their magic!! Hope the spirit of Buck Owens doesn't visit the ratings page on Radio Info very often, it will be very sad.

Funny you should mention 1993. If I remember correctly, that was the year that the once and future Tim and Willy landed on a certain upstart country station and began to knock the Owens' house down, and by the time Clear Channel gobbled up the red white & blue guitar station, what was once a battle between David and Goliath had turned into a draw between two powerhouse stations.

Granted, the last few years have been a race toward mediocrity for both, but placing the all the blame for the fall of KNIX on Clear Channel is a bit off base.

azradiofan said:
KEXX down to 0.8 more reasons for Riviera to dump Alternative Rock after all the changes they've made and nothing seems to work for them including Dave Pratt.

"New Riviera" has official taken over as of last week...it's going to be a tough job for them ahead (it appears that they need to fix BOTH 103.9 and 95.1 now, but 103.9 should be stunting RIGHT NOW--just my observation).

How about "the little station that could" from Wickenburg? Not a huge audience, but I suspect the TSL is through the roof!

I wonder what KMVA is doing wrong. They play strictly hits. They remain super consistent and safe. Other than their signal strength, why does it seem hard for them to pull a little more of a bigger audience? If CHR doesn't work for them, then what else could find high success on that signal? Maybe they should just go for a niche sound and format instead of trying to maintain a major station format style. If I remember correctly, their highest rating was the last rating period before they decided to flip and drop the rhythmic ac format, but I have my doubts that they would've remained as successful as they were back then for this long, especially with EVA and MEGA now coexisting.

you wonder what KMVA is doing wrong? really? 580k in cume and i'm sure doing fine in core demos (i've seen the break outs). with that stick? they are doing everything right, that they can! and they should be praised for it. the stations that make me gasp are the lazy southmountain sticks not doing thier jobs. KNIX, KMLE, KDKB, and even KPUD being out Cumed by stations like KKFR and KMVA. ya'll's beloved EVA is being out CUME'd too, just so you know.

I'd start the format speculations with one of these underperforming 100k southmointain sticks before an over prefroming class b station from afar like KKFR or KMVA.

hey radioiseasy...

put the kool aid down my friend. we all are happy that you enjoy your job at whatev kmva calls themselves these days.

radioiseasy said:
you wonder what KMVA is doing wrong? really? 580k in cume and i'm sure doing fine in core demos (i've seen the break outs). with that stick?

He may be easy, but he's also right. For a rimshot, KMVA does pretty well.

Meanwhile back at South Mtn, there are some sick puppies up there. KNIX seems to have a death wish and EVA is a bandaid until Clear Channel can figure out a long term plan for 95~Five. Gumpdusky could care less about KUPD's cume...look at what they have between KDKD, KUPD and KSLX. And TMISU have made KT'R-FM unlistenable between Noon and 3pm with that bizarre Chuck 'n Chick show. The Nurse and I actually look forward to Dumber and Dumbest at 3 o'clock. YIKES!

radioiseasy said:
you wonder what KMVA is doing wrong? really? 580k in cume and i'm sure doing fine in core demos (i've seen the break outs). with that stick? they are doing everything right, that they can! and they should be praised for it. the stations that make me gasp are the lazy southmountain sticks not doing thier jobs. KNIX, KMLE, KDKB, and even KPUD being out Cumed by stations like KKFR and KMVA. ya'll's beloved EVA is being out CUME'd too, just so you know.

I'd start the format speculations with one of these underperforming 100k southmointain sticks before an over prefroming class b station from afar like KKFR or KMVA.

hehe...KPUD

BTW, STILL not a fan of EVA

Re: hey radioiseasy...

AdMan17 said:
put the kool aid down my friend. we all are happy that you enjoy your job at whatev kmva calls themselves these days.

No Doubt! Only 1 post and joined at 2 in the morning just to reply! If they wanna be proud of almost a 2 share, then I guess that's cool. I mean, they Beat 103.9, 104.3, 95.1 and 101.1. But those aren't exactly competitors. The problem is there are 4 other stations that share songs with them, and they all beat 97.5. They always will. 97.5 has nothing to offer that we can't hear elsewhere on a stronger signal with a better delivery.

Beloved Eva? Not anyone I can think of. It's obvious they only had a buzz at 1st, but now no one cares (hence the 2.8 ). Looks they could be tied with 98.3 if this pattern continues!

And how bout that .8 on 103.9? WOW....Tied with KNRJ :eek:

As much as I like alternative music and was a fan of The Edge, this station needs to be put out of its misery and the format needs to be tried by another company in the valley.

azfmfan said:
As much as I like alternative music and was a fan of The Edge, this station needs to be put out of its misery and the format needs to be tried by another company in the valley.

Perhaps I am alone, but I actually like some of the music that they play. Ya know, ACTUAL alternative music. I never was too huge a fan of the late 90's-00's version of "alternative". Then again, I like some of the music played on KWSS.

That is my problem with the station. I get that these are core artists but they still only play the same 2-5 songs from each of these bands. Play a few lesser known cuts and forgotten tracks. When is the last time you heard Big Me from the Foo Fighters on that station? If they want to play just the hits there are still plenty they aren't playing from those and other bands. I like most of the new music but they don't play enough currents and when they do, they spin them for a few months and then there done with them forever. To me the imaging is lacking the creativity that the old edge had (especially when it was on 106.3) and the jocks are not bad but they don't really add anything either. They station just seems to lack energy to me.

azfmfan said:
That is my problem with the station. I get that these are core artists but they still only play the same 2-5 songs from each of these bands. Play a few lesser known cuts and forgotten tracks. When is the last time you heard Big Me from the Foo Fighters on that station? If they want to play just the hits there are still plenty they aren't playing from those and other bands. I like most of the new music but they don't play enough currents and when they do, they spin them for a few months and then there done with them forever. To me the imaging is lacking the creativity that the old edge had (especially when it was on 106.3) and the jocks are not bad but they don't really add anything either. They station just seems to lack energy to me.

This is true. I wish there was a mix show on the station like Markus Schulz had on the Edge (Edge Factor) in the 90's.

2Son said:
This is true. I wish there was a mix show on the station like Markus Schulz had on the Edge (Edge Factor) in the 90's.

As much as I liked that show, I'm not sure it would be a good fit today. It worked back then because the format was more than Rock. In the early 90's, they still featured New Order, Depeche Mode, and even Utah Saints. But now it is all Guitars. It was also cool when Electronica had a rise in the late 90s but even that stuff fizzled. Grunge poisoned the word Alternative and now its just that....contaminated.

Before the Edge changed to X, they had a show called Mix N Mash but the DJ was all over the place and was quite rough with his blending

DJ_Perry said:
2Son said:

As much as I liked that show, I'm not sure it would be a good fit today. It worked back then because the format was more than Rock. In the early 90's, they still featured New Order, Depeche Mode, and even Utah Saints. But now it is all Guitars. It was also cool when Electronica had a rise in the late 90s but even that stuff fizzled. Grunge poisoned the word Alternative and now its just that....contaminated.

Before the Edge changed to X, they had a show called Mix N Mash but the DJ was all over the place and was quite rough with his blending

I know what you mean. That is what I liked about earlier alternative music/stations. There was more of a connection with dance music then. Even into the 90's, bands like Eon (Spice) and The Shamen were getting good airplay on alternative stations.

Re: hey radioiseasy...

DJ_Perry said:
97.5 has nothing to offer that we can't hear elsewhere on a stronger signal with a better delivery.

Well... they are the only ones who play "glad you came" by The Wanted, and I believe they were first to play "blackout" by Breathe Carolina and "tonight is the night" by Outasight, which have all quickly grown to be some of my favorites, so I will give them personal credit there. I also must give them credit for more wall to wall music with less talking. They are pretty ok to listen to, but I still believe the station could offer a little more excitement, especially on Friday and Saturday nights, at the least.

For those who don't like a lot of recurrents, they may choose KMVA over KZZP.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom