• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY

I do afternoons on a Wyoming station from Alaska after being live/local there for 2 years and they kept me when I took the PD job 2 years ago at KSKO. The station is typically labelled by the industry as "AC" but it's what I call "a locally programmed AC Variety/Jack FM Type of station"... and there really is alot of variety, as evidenced by this talk segue between Warren Zevon and Carrie Underwood.

The station aims for what I think is an overall "upbeat mainstream AC" sound, ans plays everythign from rock to pop to soul to oldies to country from the 60s to today, seemingly focusing on the 80s to now or so. I've had Justin Beiber into Gloria Gaynor or Garth Brooks into some rock tune. You'll hear nothing too hard, slow, sad or soft on the station.

I like to brag on and talk about the stations i work for because to me, they are special, unique and doing radio the right way.. otherwise, I wouldn't be working for them... I work for stations whos owners operate them the way I would if they were mine.

Hits 106 (the station in the picture) has been locally owned for 11 years, moving from rented to owned office space. Owner works 5 to 6 days a week, often harder than us employees. Some radio people see this variety and call it a trainwreck..... yet, our TSL is 2x that of our competitor and 4x that of most of the rest of the market!

Capture.JPG

Sounds a lot like my favorite (semi)-local commercial station, 103.9 WLEN in Adrian, MI. Locally owned and operated since 1965. They have the generic John Tesh feed in the evening but otherwise feature a very broad mix of music from 1980-now during the week and a broad oldies playlist from 1955-1990 on Fridays. I sometimes hear new music on WLEN before I hear it on the local CHR or Hot AC station. Being in a small market, they can get away with having a large "stiff parade" playlist. The music geek in me loves it.

Here's a sample playlist from a recent evening:
Chicago - If This Is Goodbye
Amy Grant - Big Yellow Taxi
Nylons - Kiss Him Goodbye
Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill
Taylor Swift - ME!
Mr. Big - To Be With You
Camila Cabello & Ed Sheeran - Bam Bam
Carrie Underwood - Inside Your Heaven
Harry Styles - As It Was
Cher - Believe
Gloria Estefan - Cuts Both Ways
Onerepublic - West Coast
I Am They - No Impossible With You
Barry Gibb - In the Now
Tom Petty - American Girl
Paula Abdul - Cold Hearted

And here's a sample of their oldies rotation:
Elton John - I'm Still Standing
LaBelle - Lady Marmalade
Tymes - So Much in Love
Beatles - I'll Follow the Sun
Scandal - The Warrior
Hall & Oates - She's Gone
Canned Heat - On the Road Again
Fabulous Thunderbirds - Tuff Enuff
Mama Cass - New World Coming
Captain & Tennille - You Never Done It Like That
Fortunes - Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again
Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out for a Hero
David Ruffin - My Whole World Ended
Village People - In the Navy
Gary Lewis & The Playboys - Save Your Heart for Me
DeBarge - I Like It
ABBA - Waterloo
Bee Gees - Words

No offense intended; but I frequently travel through Laramie and Cheyenne. Except the satellite-format-fed stations, the locals try to sound big market, but ultimately sound more amateurish and with poor audio quality.

No offense intended; but I frequently travel through Laramie and Cheyenne. Except the satellite-format-fed stations, the locals try to sound big market, but ultimately sound more amateurish and with poor audio quality.

The best sounding station in the market is the Klove affiliate on 90.9 KLMI sounds pretty good for what weve got.. i forgot the processor thats in place. KCGY sounds awful and is very grating on the ears

Sounds a lot like my favorite (semi)-local commercial station, 103.9 WLEN in Adrian, MI. Locally owned and operated since 1965. They have the generic John Tesh feed in the evening but otherwise feature a very broad mix of music from 1980-now during the week and a broad oldies playlist from 1955-1990 on Fridays. I sometimes hear new music on WLEN before I hear it on the local CHR or Hot AC station. Being in a small market, they can get away with having a large "stiff parade" playlist. The music geek in me loves it.

Here's a sample playlist from a recent evening:
Chicago - If This Is Goodbye
Amy Grant - Big Yellow Taxi
Nylons - Kiss Him Goodbye
Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill
Taylor Swift - ME!
Mr. Big - To Be With You
Camila Cabello & Ed Sheeran - Bam Bam
Carrie Underwood - Inside Your Heaven
Harry Styles - As It Was
Cher - Believe
Gloria Estefan - Cuts Both Ways
Onerepublic - West Coast
I Am They - No Impossible With You
Barry Gibb - In the Now
Tom Petty - American Girl
Paula Abdul - Cold Hearted

And here's a sample of their oldies rotation:
Elton John - I'm Still Standing
LaBelle - Lady Marmalade
Tymes - So Much in Love
Beatles - I'll Follow the Sun
Scandal - The Warrior
Hall & Oates - She's Gone
Canned Heat - On the Road Again
Fabulous Thunderbirds - Tuff Enuff
Mama Cass - New World Coming
Captain & Tennille - You Never Done It Like That
Fortunes - Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again
Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out for a Hero
David Ruffin - My Whole World Ended
Village People - In the Navy
Gary Lewis & The Playboys - Save Your Heart for Me
DeBarge - I Like It
ABBA - Waterloo
Bee Gees - Words

@CCBInMI that AC playlist from WLEN is roughly similar to what KLMI does.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom