• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

History of WZAT 102.1 The Early Years. Great Info I found.

WZAT was not Top-40 (nor called Z-102) until several years after its 1971 debut. WZAT featured Burl Womack ("Breakfast With Burl") from 5:00 AM - 9:00 AM, which was heavy personality with MOR/Pop music. From 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM, 'ZAT was automated with Drake-Chenault's "Hit Parade" (A/C of the era) service. From 6:00 PM - 5:00 AM, "Solid Gold" from Drake-Chenault (hybrid Top-40/Oldies) was on the air. WZAT's owner Albert Weis bought 1400/WSGA from Don Jones in 1974 (for a million bucks). As I recall, WZAT slowly transitioned to more of an adult Top-40 (becoming Z-102 along the way), while WSGA continued as "The Rockin' 140", with a balls to the wall Top-40 image. Declining ratings (and revenue) drove WSGA to become "The Music Of Your Life" in 1982.
Thank you Jovialjay for this answer. This is an awesome description of the start of 102.1 WZAT. Thanks for your info. I see from doing research from Billboard Magazine. WZAT started playing King Biscuit Flower Hour in March of 1974. (From 3-23-74 Billboard Magazine). I guess you can say that is when WZAT started going in a Top 40 direction? Can anybody add to this question? When did WZAT change from the Drake Chenault formats a go to Top 40?
Thanks Tommy C.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom