• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

History of this site

a number of posts in this thread refer to his having "revived" the board after the fiasco created nearly two decades ago by Doug Fleming's passing and the resultant demise of Radio-Info.

IIRC, Radio Discussions was part of Streamline Media (publishers of Radio Ink) and they subsequently sold it to Frank.

Lance, can you clarify the timeline?
This was elsewhere but I was hoping to see an answer myself.

Doug was a good guy, at least to me.. we had a few phone conversations not long before he died and when i needed something from him, he always made time for a quick phone chat, including once when he was art the airport

Radio Info was sold, at some point to Scott Thomas, but i cant remember what his company name was. He threatened to sue me if i used to site again after he or one of his people sent me an email saying i was banned, not to use it, but hasnt seen it and hadnt, like deactivated me.....and i posted again.

Doug was a good guy, at least to me.. we had a few phone conversations not long before he died and when i needed something from him, he always made time for a quick phone chat, including once when he was art the airport

Radio Info was sold, at some point to Scott Thomas, but i cant remember what his company name was. He threatened to sue me if i used to site again after he or one of his people sent me an email saying i was banned, not to use it, but hasnt seen it and hadnt, like deactivated me.....and i posted again.

Paul I remember there was certain admins or moderators who were banning people for posting about a certain LPFM station that's no longer on the air in Alabama. You know which station I'm referring to.

At one time and I'm talking in the very early days of this site there was an admin or moderator named Jason who banned me because he didn't like me.

At one point Boz Profit aka Mr. WXCT was an admin or moderator too.

I was banned under my old user name of ccmfan during the time when Doug's mother ran the board because I mentioned Radio Insight. I came back under the anotherguy and they never knew the difference. :p

You're lucky. When Diana took over she essentially banned all of the Radio-Info moderators and refused any attempts for negotiation about same.

I joined the Radio-Info/RadioDiscussions family in 1999 when Safford Black's Southwest Radio & Discussion Forum was brought into the fold. I think it was around the same time Gomez's Big City Radio & TV Forum (I think that was the name) was brought in as well. I started the current DXing board around that time. Lots of names I haven't seen in a while like Gomez, Tanim and CHRles among others. Good times. I've changed my username a few times since then.

This was elsewhere but I was hoping to see an answer myself.
This was the revisionist history started by the Flemings after their 2006 hostile takeover.

I founded what became Radio-Info in 1997 as "The Mid-Atlantic Radio Board". After partnering with a couple other boards, Doug, Tanim, and I co-launched the Radio-Info brand in 1999. Because his father was a high powered lawyer and we were a couple of twenty-somethings with no money, they seized the domain and the site in 2006 in order to "honor his legacy" following his untimely passing at the age of 27 in a bicycle accident even though I WAS ALWAYS THE ONE running the day-to-day operations of the site. The night that they seized the site, I launched RadioInsight (which ironically is what Doug wanted to rename the message boards so we could make Radio-Info the news site. Instead I was forced to do the opposite over time).

As one of Doug's closest friends and possibly the last person to speak to him alive (as we were on the phone for four hours the night before his passing), and Tanim will co-sign, he was never the founder or the operator of the site.

Thomas’ Zeo Radio Networks NEVER owned the site. We had an agreement in principle which would always have mandated that I continue to manage it but after a couple weeks they realized like nearly everyone else that it is very hard to monetize a message board.

I joined the Radio-Info/RadioDiscussions family in 1999 when Safford Black's Southwest Radio & Discussion Forum was brought into the fold. I think it was around the same time Gomez's Big City Radio & TV Forum (I think that was the name) was brought in as well. I started the current DXing board around that time. Lots of names I haven't seen in a while like Gomez, Tanim and CHRles among others. Good times. I've changed my username a few times since then.
I first joined when Gomez had his board, and for years after the consolidation my link was always named "Gomez".

When the lawyer staged his coup d'etat, I was banned for saying something about the history of the board. I simply rejoined as "Old Gringo" and became an honorary member of the Media Hit at that time. I am, still and old gringo though!

I joined the Radio-Info/RadioDiscussions family in 1999 when Safford Black's Southwest Radio & Discussion Forum was brought into the fold.
Ah, yes, part of the old RadioEmporium site. Daily read for me back then, though I was a lurker, not a poster. One weird aspect of that board was frequent postings about fictitious stations, which was rather bizarre. Whatever happened to Safford Black? I think he was a Rice University student at the time.
When the lawyer staged his coup d'etat, I was banned for saying something about the history of the board. I simply rejoined as "Old Gringo" and became an honorary member of the Media Hit at that time.
I recall a number of posters had trouble renewing their accounts after The Great Schism of 2006. I finally created a fresh account, which is where the “+” on my username came from. Was annoyed I lost my postings count.

Just to add, I have a feeling this site is under the best care it’s been since when I first joined way back in 2004, as barely a teenager!

I’m thankful that Frank, may he RIP, was able to save as much of the site as he could and continue to maintain it.

Hopefully the ad situation gets sorted out soon so you guys can get the revenue from them.

Hopefully the ad situation gets sorted out soon so you guys can get the revenue from them.
We allowed Frank's heir to receive the income during the transition to help him through this time of loss. Once everything else is "in line" under Lance, there will be further changes to keep the site up to date in the changing world of radio.

I think that the team of Lance, Fybush, Huff, Michi and Cyberdad is just terrific, and that fits my promise to Frank before his passing to insure that the site lived on.

We allowed Frank's heir to receive the income during the transition to help him through this time of loss. Once everything else is "in line" under Lance, there will be further changes to keep the site up to date in the changing world of radio.

I think that the team of Lance, Fybush, Huff, Michi and Cyberdad is just terrific, and that fits my promise to Frank before his passing to insure that the site lived on.
That is quite a kind thing to do.

And I 100% agree with your last paragraph - yourself included!

I first joined when Gomez had his board, and for years after the consolidation my link was always named "Gomez".

When the lawyer staged his coup d'etat, I was banned for saying something about the history of the board. I simply rejoined as "Old Gringo" and became an honorary member of the Media Hit at that time. I am, still and old gringo though!
Interesting! I've always wondered how your 'Old Gringo' alias originated. I thought the name was christened by Dr. Akbar and Nurse Jeff. You always learn something new everyday on this site. It's like getting a free education in radio!

I remember it's early days as the Mid-Atlantic Radio Board and later Radio-Info. I started posting in the late 90s. Was the DX board moderator from '04 until the takeover.

I believe the Illinois board merged here from a site called Illinois Regional Airwaves, run by the late John Moody which I also posted on, not 100% sure

I forgot who the moderator that banned me during the Diana Fleming era was, but it was for disagreeing with something. At that point I really didn't care because the site ran like garbage and I was already active on the RadioInsight boards.

I forgot when, but I was invited back here.

Last edited:
I was on the old boards when the Flemings ran the thing, but got banned when used a certain email addy for it. I have my own website and email server and I make unique email addies for each board.

Back
Top Bottom