• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hippie Gets More Coverage

First time I've ever heard of a radio station wanting to be associated with Hippies.

But 37,000 people who can't currently receive WHPY at all.

The FM signal reaches into Davidson and Williamson, which the signal hits about 450,000 within the current signal, as is. It has potential for some changes in location and height. Sumner County is 140,000 people. Gallatin, proper, is 23 sq. miles and right at 38,000 people. The signal is better than just the city of Gallatin. Admittedly, not huge. Maybe the hobbyist needed a station that bills so much more than David suggests Hippie bills. BTW, $250k in annual sales for a small AM is not so bad is it? I mean, what was the suggested WSM-AM billing on another board?

BTW not much will change with the format at WHIN, except Buddy Sadler will be called King.

BTW not much will change with the format at WHIN, except Buddy Sadler will be called King.

Wow, as you can see, I just figured they bought the station to extend Hippie's range. I should have checked with you first. I didn't know they wanted to own a classic country station too. Call it "Hippie Country" and use Willie as their logo!

Hoagie Country! The station has a wonderful history. One of the few stations with decades of continuous ownership and is well-respected locally. CTListener, I will save you the typing - add 5 more listeners to the 200 you mention. BTW, what station are you referring to on the deep-playlist oldies station?

The FM signal reaches into Davidson and Williamson, which the signal hits about 450,000 within the current signal, as is.

The current signal at 60 dbu hits 37,000. Doing a quick Longley-Rice for the existing license shows even less effective coverage.

It has potential for some changes in location and height. Sumner County is 140,000 people. Gallatin, proper, is 23 sq. miles and right at 38,000 people.

I am looking at population coverage, not cities and counties. It's a directional, limited LPFM.

You got me again, David. How do you manage to know every house that could pick up this signal? I just drive signals and look at all those empty houses full of zombies that should have listened. Kidding, my friend. Truth is, this signal is quite listenable (admittedly not scanable, to be fair) under the WSM-AM tower. Maybe that is some fluke? It's not gonna be a 50kw powerhouse, but I have to admit it's not a bad signal considering what its.

Last edited:
The AM has a live morning show. It's in an actual "old school" studio and all. The FM would be the Real Country format, as well. Hippie is totally separate.

I should have said that it is a simulcast of the AM on the FM. What would you do with it BigA? Inquiring minds gotta hear your idea(s!)

Use the signal to bring Hippie to a part of the city that can't receive 94.5. Nashville doesn't need another classic country station. They have WSM-AM.

But with classic country now including '80s and even early '90s country, don't you think an FM signal would be more likely to appeal to the target audience? If WSM(AM) wants to keep playing Jim Reeves and Porter Wagoner, then yes, AM is the place to be, but as with oldies/classic hits, classic country radio is chasing a moving target.

But with classic country now including '80s and even early '90s country, don't you think an FM signal would be more likely to appeal to the target audience?

That's what WSM-FM is doing. They have a much bigger signal than this Gallatin station. And actually WSM-AM also plays lots of 80s and 90s country.

There's also The Big Legend 98.3 playing mostly 90s country. How many stations do you need?

There's even another station playing Real Country in Nashville - I think the simulcast is WANT/WCOR. Poor signal in much of the city, but overlaps with WSM AM and WSM FM.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom