• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hidden Hits?

I want to preface my remarks here by saying that this is NOT intended to be a "Why doesn't radio play these songs?" thread. That topic has been repeatedly discussed and debated elsewhere. Let's leave it elsewhere.

How many times have we turned on the radio when we're in the mood for some Rock, and we get Gary Puckett & the Union Gap instead? Or even worse, as far as older Rock goes, Dean Martin or Frank Sinatra? I think it's a well-established fact that if you really want to hear what you want at any given time, you have to go through your own collection. I spent many hours making custom cassette tapes for my (now antiquated) car stereo system. Don't blame radio. It has it's way of doing things, and along with that, it has it's reasons.

My intention here is to make a small sample list of songs that in my humble opinion, are great songs by well known artists but aren't well known for whatever reasons. Younger generations of adults may be pleasantly surprised if and when they hear these songs for the first time.

Finally, my (partial) list of songs that are underplayed, rarely played, or perhaps not even played:

The Contours - Shake Sherry - Follow-up to Do You Love Me?
The Penguins - Hey, Senorita - Flip side of Earth Angel; Was the "A" side in some parts of the country.
Etta James - Good Rockin' Daddy - Follow-up to Dance With Me, Henry. If you ask me, a much better song.
The Platters - He's Mine - As far as I know, and feel free to correct me if you know otherwise, the only Platters song sung by Zola Taylor.
The Diamonds - Church Bells May Ring - Very campy church bell bridge in the middle.
Dionne Warwick - Don't Make Me Over - If I'm not mistaken, her breakout hit.
The Tokens - Tonight I Fell in Love - Preceded The Lion Sleeps Tonight. Now totally forgotten.
Bill Haley & His Comets - ABC Boogie - Was released as a single on Decca, and went nowhere.
The Kingsmen - Jolly Green Giant - Funny satire on the Green Giant commercials.
Fats Domino - Little Bee - Perhaps too racy for radio play at the time.
Steppenwolf - Rock Me - From the move "Candy". Why, oh why does Born to be Wild and Magic Carpet Ride get overplayed today, but this great Steppenwolf number is nearly forgotten?
Deep Purple - Hush - Their breakout hit on Bill Cosby's Tetragrammaton label. To me, still their best song, ever. Thought I heard her calling my name.
The Byrds - I Knew I'd Want You - From their first album. Should have been a singles hit.
Blood, Sweat, & Tears - Mama Gets High - Sounds like something you'd hear at a Depression-era speakeasy, was probably too lengthy and too racy for AM radio play.

RicoGregg said:
Finally, my (partial) list of songs that are underplayed, rarely played, or perhaps not even played:

..........The Contours - Shake Sherry - Follow-up to Do You Love Me?
The Penguins - Hey, Senorita - Flip side of Earth Angel; Was the "A" side in some parts of the country.
Etta James - Good Rockin' Daddy - Follow-up to Dance With Me, Henry. If you ask me, a much better song.
The Platters - He's Mine - As far as I know, and feel free to correct me if you know otherwise, the only Platters song sung by Zola Taylor.
The Diamonds - Church Bells May Ring - Very campy church bell bridge in the middle.
Dionne Warwick - Don't Make Me Over - If I'm not mistaken, her breakout hit.
The Tokens - Tonight I Fell in Love - Preceded The Lion Sleeps Tonight. Now totally forgotten.
Bill Haley & His Comets - ABC Boogie - Was released as a single on Decca, and went nowhere..............

Zola Taylor sang lead on Bark, Battle, and Ball (the "B" Side of Only You). ABC Boogie was released as the "B" side of Shake, Rattle, And Roll. So of course it didn't get much airplay.

TheFonz said:
Zola Taylor sang lead on Bark, Battle, and Ball (the "B" Side of Only You). ABC Boogie was released as the "B" side of Shake, Rattle, And Roll. So of course it didn't get much airplay.

...And further taxing of my memory reveals that "He's Mine" was the "B" side of "I'm Sorry".

ABC Boogie deserved "A" side promotion.

Thanks for the correction & clarification.

Agree with most of this list. A few comments....

Church Bells May Ring: Diamonds version was a good cover but still inferior to the Willows original. My vote would go to "Ka-Ding Dong" (another cover)
Dionne Warwick: My vote would go to "Are you There (I hear the music coming out of your radio)". In a similar vein...how about Sandee Shaw's "Always Something There to Remind Me"....or for that matter "Girl Don't Come".
Kingsmen: Agree....would also add "Annie Fannie" and their cover of Rocky-Fellers "Killer Joe"
Steppenwolf: Agree....and would add "Sookie Sookie"
ABC Boogie: Fun tune...deserved to have done better.

A couple of others just off the top of my head....

"I Can't Stay Mad at You"-Skeeter Davis (#9 Billboard...Nashville meets Carole King & Brill Building )
"Hippy Hippy Shake"-Swingin' Blue Jeans (Beatle-esque Liverpool band cover of an old blues tune)
"He's the Kind of Boy You Can't Forget"-Raindrops (Jeff Barry-Ellie Greenwich studio concoction)
"Sweets for My Sweets"-Drifters (nearly-forgotten 1961 pop/r&b smash)
"I Think its Gonna Work Out Fine"-Ike & Tina Turner (also from '61-still sounds fresh...and funny!)
"Baby Come Back"-Equals (surprise 1968 smash for Eddy Grant & company)

Cyberdad, you got me kicking myself for leaving off Skeeter Davis, Ike & Tina, and the Drifters songs from the list. But then, I really could have made the list much longer.

If I remember right, isn't Hippy Hippy Shake a Lennon-McCartney composition? There were several of their compositions that the Beatles never recorded. Another example: Bad To Me, by Billy J. Kramer & the Dakotas.

The "Baby Come Back" by the Equals should not be confused with another song by the same name recorded by Player in 1978. Thought I'd mention it just in case.

I agree that "Rock Me" by Steppenwolf should get more airplay. However, "Hush" by Deep Purple already gets quite a bit of airplay here in Nashville. I have the 45 of "Jolly Green Giant" by the Kingsmen, and I really wasn't that impressed with it. I believe it was recorded after Lynn Easton (lead singer on "Louie Louie") left the group.

I believe "Hippy Hippy Shake" was not a Lennon-McCartney composition, but the Beatles also recorded their own version of it.

Somehow just can't get excited about "Rock Me"...even though I know it's was a solid hit in the day. Now, "The Pusher"....well, guess can't play that.

RicoGregg said:
TheFonz said:

...And further taxing of my memory reveals that "He's Mine" was the "B" side of "I'm Sorry".

ABC Boogie deserved "A" side promotion.

That's what's great about the '50s channel on XM satellite radio. They play both of those songs.

I'd settle for "Hey Lawdy Mama"! :eek:
[/quote]

Yes....another gem!

As for"Hippy Hippy Shake". This was written and originally recorded by Chan Romero in 1959 Los Angeles. Romero was Richie Valens label mate on Del-Fi Records. I've heard a blues version of the song that obviously pre-dates the Swingin' Blue Jeans, (and also the Beatles version), but I'm not sure if this was Romero's original or someone else's version.

If you love Oldies, especially "Lost 45's" plus hundreds of other oldies you won't hear on the radio, I have found a great show. It airs on 960-AM in West Palm Beach, Florida and streams live on the internet at www.seaviewam960.com . The DJ is "Jammin' Jon" and he is a breath of fresh air. Lots of personality and energy. Plus he takes requests on demand from anywhere. The show airs on Saturdays from 1-5PM Eastern Time. If you love 50's & 60's rock & roll and doo-wop, then I suggest you check it out. I did and now I am hooked on the show.

flaradiofan said:
If you love Oldies, especially "Lost 45's" plus hundreds of other oldies you won't hear on the radio, I have found a great show. It airs on 960-AM in West Palm Beach, Florida and streams live on the internet at www.seaviewam960.com . The DJ is "Jammin' Jon" and he is a breath of fresh air. Lots of personality and energy. Plus he takes requests on demand from anywhere. The show airs on Saturdays from 1-5PM Eastern Time. If you love 50's & 60's rock & roll and doo-wop, then I suggest you check it out. I did and now I am hooked on the show.

I can't wait to try the SeaviewAM960.com link this weekend to see what comes up. Does he use reverb?

I was shocked and pleased to see several songs mentioned here that are on my pt 15 AM 1620, and podcasts of airchecks....
Ka-Ding-Dong, ABC Boogie, Hush, and others.
There should be a new podcast up tonight with more standards and obscuries. (Like Oldies, only well.... obscure.)
How about "Tramp" by Otis and Carla? How about " Baja Nova" by the the Baja Marimba Band? Or "The Fire of Love" by Jody Reynolds?

http://thomasjwells.podomatic.com/

How about "Hungry For Love" by San Remo Strings or "Soul Coaxing" by Raymond LeFerve, Tom. I miss those great instumentals.

Check out RichbroRadio.com. He probably plays all of the songs mentioned in this thread. Rich Brother Robbins has dedicated his site to playing the oldies you don't hear anymore. He plays some really great stuff and it's 24/7
http://www.richbroradio.com

Richbro Radio is a great stream, good audio quality (for 64K), and also has the bonus of containing classic jingles from some legendary top 40 stations from all over North America.

I personally enjoy the even deeper playlist of Radio Bop....especially with their new 96k streaming. You'll find some classic jingles here, too.

It is, however, all a matter of personal taste. Radio Bop tends to go deeper into the seldom-heard but legitimate chart hits, but basically covers the decade of the mid 50s to mid 60s. (There's also a 60s version). Richbro covers a wider time frame, and even includes a 70s track every now and then. "At the end of the day", both are superb. Same goes for Hy Lit Radio....which has more of an East Coast flavor (with more do-wop) along with a crystal clear 128k stream.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom