• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hey, it's almost 2006 ... what's the future for DFW radio?

P

Phantom

any comments would be welcomed ...

<P ID="signature">______________
Tony Lyndell Williams</P>

> any comments would be welcomed ...

They're selling grave stones really cheap on the internet these days. Maybe we should start saving up....

> > any comments would be welcomed ...
>
> They're selling grave stones really cheap on the internet
> these days. Maybe we should start saving up....
>
I have a feeling "Free" will belly up in 2006, CBS will probably convert the 105.3 frequency to mexican or "Willie"

The susquehanna nation will be divided and turned into substandard product, Ticket will probably the only one who stays together. KLIF will go all syndicated,Bone will probably go to alt rock, scott and jeff will be in the unemployment line. Wolf will keep its format, but will be tweaked.

Slambang,

Let me just put in that my thoughts are the exact opposite of everthing you posted, except for 93.3. That we agree on.

I can only hope that sometime in the next year, someone will realize how flawed a system Arbitron is, and will begin using PPM to measure ratings accurately. Had this been the case in 2005, I would like to suggest that the top station would no longer be Spanish-speaking, and Sunny would've stuck around long enough to play Christmas music.<P ID="signature">______________
"The only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the immense inferiority of everybody else, and this is a feeling that I have always cultivated."
---Oscar Wilde</P>

> I can only hope that sometime in the next year, someone will
> realize how flawed a system Arbitron is,

The Philadeelphia tests of the PPM showed one thing very clearly... the diary is an excellent method for measuring audience, as the shares were essentially identical in the parallel tests.

The PPM offers faster measurement and results delivery, and measures all electronic media with one system. These are enhancements that time buyers want now, but the fact remains that the PPM shares are the same as the diary shares.

> and will begin
> using PPM to measure ratings accurately.

Roll out sometime in 2007, not sooner.

> Had this been the
> case in 2005, I would like to suggest that the top station
> would no longer be Spanish-speaking,

The top station is not Spanish. It is KKDA. The PPM tends to capture MORE ethnic listening, not less.

> and Sunny would've
> stuck around long enough to play Christmas music.

Not likely, again based on the format shares in Philly of the diary vs. the PPM. An underperforming station is an underperforming station. And a no grwoth market sector is a no growth sector, while Hispanic ad growth outpaces the general market by about four to one.

PPM

"The top station is not Spanish. It is KKDA. The PPM tends to capture MORE ethnic listening, not less."

I have got to disagree with you there...African Americans show huge loyalty to stations they've won prizes from in the past. They just draw a line straight though the diary and mumble..."Oh I listened all day".

The PPM has already shown TSL is half of what it normally is for Urban and Rhytmics.<P ID="signature">______________
WG</P>

> I can only hope that sometime in the next year, someone will
> realize how flawed a system Arbitron is, and will begin
> using PPM to measure ratings accurately. Had this been the
> case in 2005, I would like to suggest that the top station
> would no longer be Spanish-speaking, and Sunny would've
> stuck around long enough to play Christmas music.

A double edged sword. PPM will show how many listeners immediately change stations when commercials hit the air. We all know this is true with car radios and male demographics especially. Just imagine how many men go back and forth between Russ Martin and the Hardline each afternoon. Unless spots are airing on both stations at the same time, many listeners probably never listen to the commercials.

I'm not saying this will be catastrophic for radio, but it WILL be a factor.

Re: PPM

> "The top station is not Spanish. It is KKDA. The PPM tends
> to capture MORE ethnic listening, not less."
>
> I have got to disagree with you there...African Americans
> show huge loyalty to stations they've won prizes from in the
> past. They just draw a line straight though the diary and
> mumble..."Oh I listened all day".
>
> The PPM has already shown TSL is half of what it normally is
> for Urban and Rhytmics.
>
Any of you guys forget The Twister??

> "The top station is not Spanish. It is KKDA. The PPM tends
> to capture MORE ethnic listening, not less."
>
> I have got to disagree with you there...African Americans
> show huge loyalty to stations they've won prizes from in the
> past. They just draw a line straight though the diary and
> mumble..."Oh I listened all day".
>
> The PPM has already shown TSL is half of what it normally is
> for Urban and Rhytmics.

The difference between the PPM and the diary is that cume increases because P4, P5 and P6 and beyond listening gets reported. In other words, stations a listener tunes in for as little as 15 minutes a week show up, where in the diary they often did not get mentioned.

What this does is increase the cume, while shortening the TSL _average_ because all the cume increse is in listeners below P3 status.

You still get the same shares and AQH listening levels. More listeners, less time each on average still yilds the same share and AQH persons.

Your assumptions about ethnic listeners are too generalized to really comment on. All formats have a loyal core, generally with P1's or "dual P1's" exhibiting this kind of "all day behaviour." Since ethnic audiences have fewer formats specifically directed at them, the TSL on each available offering is longer and the changes of listening between stations is minimized.
>

> > "The top station is not Spanish. It is KKDA. The PPM tends
>
> > to capture MORE ethnic listening, not less."
> >
> > I have got to disagree with you there...African Americans
> > show huge loyalty to stations they've won prizes from in
> the
> > past. They just draw a line straight though the diary and
> > mumble..."Oh I listened all day".
> >
> > The PPM has already shown TSL is half of what it normally
> is
> > for Urban and Rhytmics.
> >
> Any of you guys forget The Twister??
>
The Twister is forgetable. A lot depends on the ABC sale. The results will still be: more assembly line, no standouts,increase time given to spots,shorter playlist, Clear Channel clears house during Christmas,and the same infestation of very boring radio for another year.

2006... By month

By month...

January...
KRLD continues to fail, as more anchors are removed and the theme music is changed again. This time, even the traffic reporters begin to get the axe.

February...
A new religiously-formated station will hit the airwaves, and it will get a surprising amount of attention and ratings because there has never been another religious station of its kind. It will continue to grow throughout the year.

March...
Sports fans are outraged because DFW only has two Sports stations, both of which suck. KESN will be too busy with Mavs games, and KTCK doesn't care about sports, so March Madness will not be produced at all in DFW.

April...
KRLD's ratings fall to 0.0, except for the Rangers games, which will begin in the month, saving KRLD from death.

May...
ClearChannel changes one of its stations to the iPod shuffle format (like Jack, but they'll call it something else, obviously). Possilbe 97.1, but it will simply be the lowest CC station at the time.

June...
WBAP drops Rush Limbaugh and picks up Bill O'Riely.

July...
WBAP drops Sean Hannity and picks up Adolf Hitler (no big change here).

August...
KSKY falls to its death, Salem reverts to its back-up 1400-something station, and continues to suck as KSKY goes on auction

September...
Kevin Millwood singlehandedly raises KRLD's ratings. That is, the Rangers are actually good in September because of Milwood, so KRLD actually has listeners.

October...
GM of 910 KXEB is shot outside of the studios because the station is "too liberal". The station becomes Al Franken re-runs 24/7, which rivals WBAP's Hitler of Satan's listenership.

November...
The only News or Talk station I haven't bashed yet is KLIF. There is really no need to. But, after the Democrats take the House in the mid-terms (which is probably the biggest stretch in this entire post) KLIF implodes, and from then on, sings not only its newscasts, but everything. 24/7 opera on KLIF.

December...
DFW gets a new News/Talk station. WBAP's monopoly (everyone else is so worthless, they don't count) is thwarted.

So there you have it. 2006, in a nutshell.

What do you think?

~CTL<P ID="signature">______________
"Welcome to radio-info.com...where we hate everything!!!!! You people are radio's equivalent to the two old guys in the balcony on the Muppet show!"
~FoReal?</P>

David Eduardo ............

7,000 posts for David Eduardo ...

Listen ... and learn ... from one of the greats in radio ...

Around the globe ... he's David Eduardo ...

Tony <P ID="signature">______________

> The Philadeelphia tests of the PPM showed one thing very
> clearly... the diary is an excellent method for measuring
> audience, as the shares were essentially identical in the
> parallel tests.

Yeah... cuz Philly is a great example of the way radio in the rest of the country works... uh-huh...<P ID="signature">______________
"The only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the immense inferiority of everybody else, and this is a feeling that I have always cultivated."
---Oscar Wilde</P>

Re: David Eduardo ............

> 7,000 posts for David Eduardo ...
>
> Listen ... and learn ... from one of the greats in radio ...
>
>
> Around the globe ... he's David Eduardo ...
>
> Tony
>

Yeah... cuz around here, everybody knows that "post count" equals "expertise" right?

I think summa ya'll got some special brownies for Christmas...

(David Eduardo: This post is not intended to offend you or detract from your radio knowlege. Though you and I disagree from time to time, I do respect your knowlege. I'm just sayin', though, that just cuz you post a lot don't make you an expert. I mean, look at *MY* post count...)<P ID="signature">______________
---Oscar Wilde</P>

> > The Philadeelphia tests of the PPM showed one thing very
> > clearly... the diary is an excellent method for measuring
> > audience, as the shares were essentially identical in the
> > parallel tests.
>
>
> Yeah... cuz Philly is a great example of the way radio in
> the rest of the country works... uh-huh...

As far as audience measurement, there is no difference between Philly, Boise and Dallas.

The BBM (which used a method identical to Arbitron) has shown no significant share differences across Canada, and the two tests in the UK also showed this against a 24 hour recall method.
>

Re: David Eduardo ............

>
> (David Eduardo: This post is not intended to offend you or
> detract from your radio knowlege. Though you and I disagree
> from time to time, I do respect your knowlege. I'm just
> sayin', though, that just cuz you post a lot don't make you
> an expert. I mean, look at *MY* post count...)

No offense taken. I spend waaaaaay too much time in airports and hotels on market visits, and while monitoring or waiting I like to amuse myself with something light, and usually fun. Thus the 1,345,674 messages... or whatever th ecount is today.

David Eduardo has the most knowledge on any board, in my opinion ...

> > 7,000 posts for David Eduardo ...
> >
> > Listen ... and learn ... from one of the greats in radio
> ...
> >
> >
> > Around the globe ... he's David Eduardo ...
> >
> > Tony
> >
>
>
> Yeah... cuz around here, everybody knows that "post count"
> equals "expertise" right?
>
> I think summa ya'll got some special brownies for
> Christmas...
>
>
>
>
> (David Eduardo: This post is not intended to offend you or
> detract from your radio knowlege. Though you and I disagree
> from time to time, I do respect your knowlege. I'm just
> sayin', though, that just cuz you post a lot don't make you
> an expert. I mean, look at *MY* post count...)

Well, I did not notice ... YOUR post count ...

But David's posts are more than SIX times mine.

Most people would say that the most posts equal the most knowlege?

What would you say?

What did you say YOUR name was?

Thanks for your time

you wasted mine ...

Tony<P ID="signature">______________

Re: Tony who?

> Well, I did not notice ... YOUR post count ...
>
> But David's posts are more than SIX times mine.
>
> Most people would say that the most posts equal the most
> knowlege?
>
> What would you say?
>
> What did you say YOUR name was?
>
> Thanks for your time
>
> you wasted mine ...

See, that's what you get for reading my posts in the first place... you should know better by now, if you've been around this board long enough to know that..

...ahem...

[REVERB]
I AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ!
[/REVERB]

Oh, wait... sorry, that's my weekend gig...

Anyway, it's been almost 6 months since anyone pulled the "Who do you think you are?" bit out of the closet.

I'm no one. Who are you, again? I mean, at least you can google me and find some info... <P ID="signature">______________
---Oscar Wilde</P>

Re: PPM vs. Diary

OK, I'll concede that - so far - all PPM recordings have been consistent with the Arbitron diary notations.

I must ask this, though:

How does Arbitron get the diaries to people?

How do the PPMs get to people?

If, as I suspect, Arbitron is contacting people randomly by phone, then this does support my statement that the system is inherently flawed in todays technological world and will never accurately reflect the true listening preferences of the Metroplex, much less the rest of the country.

If the PPMs are doled out based upon random phone calls, then I will state that the same flaw that causes Arbitron to be inaccurate will be inherent in the distribution of PPMs.

Also, how sensitive is the PPM? Will it record that I was listening to KKDA at 5:19pm yesterday, when in fact it was the car next to me blaring it's radio?

I am serious in these questions, and really enjoy debating this to death with you, David.<P ID="signature">______________
---Oscar Wilde</P>

Re: Tony who?

> > Well, I did not notice ... YOUR post count ...
> >
> > But David's posts are more than SIX times mine.
> >
> > Most people would say that the most posts equal the most
> > knowlege?
> >
> > What would you say?
> >
> > What did you say YOUR name was?
> >
> > Thanks for your time
> >
> > you wasted mine ...
>
>
> See, that's what you get for reading my posts in the first
> place... you should know better by now, if you've been
> around this board long enough to know that..
>
> ...ahem...
>
> [REVERB]
> I AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ!
> [/REVERB]
>
> Oh, wait... sorry, that's my weekend gig...
>
> Anyway, it's been almost 6 months since anyone pulled the
> "Who do you think you are?" bit out of the closet.
>
> I'm no one. Who are you, again? I mean, at least you can
> google me and find some info...
>
You are Bingo Macgee the all powerful voice of housewives.daytime lovers. and secretaries everywhere! You are the voice of the oppresed and will strive for sensibility in a David Eduardo stuffed shirt temper tantrum world.;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom