• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hello Channel 8 are you reading this?

Re: OT: What dictates when you're ready for a major market?

>
> This has gotten my curiosity. What is it that dictates
> someone is ready for a major market from a smaller market?
> When I see a post like this, I can't help to wonder if is it
> really learning/practicing the skills that makes one ready,
> or is it just seniority, where there is a magical age that
> suddenly you're deemed ready (A rite of broadcasterhood)?
>
> Where I am coming from is that in my industry (nothing
> related to Radio/TV), Being over 30 meant one was
> irreversibly obsolete....now, it's hard getting used to that
> concept that older/more experienced people are desired after
> being the opposite for years.
>
Good point. In TRUE News reporting the more experience the better,but also TALENT. Too many now days go for the "eye candy" then if they have the ability to "read" the news without stammering too much. FOX is a good example.Notice when they hire a new woman anchor or field reporter. , the first thing you will see ,sheis BLONDE.Gradually after being there a year their hair goes back to its original color.Ashleigh Banfield was hired as a blonde, when she left she went back to being a brunette. Ch.5 does the same.Ch.8 seems to be in race to hire more hispanic woman reporters. So your question has a good point, and the "vets" will tell you that experience is key not looks, but apparently the decision makers don't go by that rule. After all they deliver a program for the advertisers not the view ing public. Journalism is the least of their concerns.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom