• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HD Radio Changes in DFW (10/01/2013)

There were a couple HD Radio station changes in Dallas/Fort Worth as of today, mostly on 2 HD2 subchannels.

- KZPS 92.5 HD2: It isn't much of a change as the Adult Alternative format is still sticking around (YES!). However, the on-screen ident is changed from "The Summit" to "World Class Rock", and the top-of-the-hour station ident has a new voiceover. Come to think about it, iHeartRadio's "World Class Rock" has been rebroadcasting on 92.5 HD2 (albeit in a delay) as I've discovered last year, it's just now simulcasting. Also the "New Music" sound bite is streamlined with WCR's. In other words, instead of just "New Music", it's "[Beeping & Trilling] New Music". (Some of y'all may not understand most of what I'm saying, but it's what I know). Also the audio quality is a bit better from the slightly soft/grainy quality under "The Summit".

- KDGE 102.1 HD2: Previously, it was "Old School Edge". The format has changed once again after over a year. Though it looks like they're stunting, because you can't exactly count "Troublemaker" by Weezer and "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons as "Old School Edge" music. At first, I was hearing one of the classic alternative tracks from Papa Roach. But then I saw the on-screen ident as "Sixx Sense with Nikki Sixx" in between songs. Come to find out, they're also airing recent episodes from...yep, you've guessed it..."Sixx Sense with Nikki Sixx". As of right now, they're airing various rock tracks from the 1970s (via Led Zeppelin) to right now. What will the future hold for this station? You're guess is as good as mine, but if you have an HD Radio, it's a station to keep your eyes peeled on should there be any other sudden changes on there.

Last edited:
As I was listening to the online stream for "World Class Rock", I also heard the "KZPS HD2 Dallas" voiceover ident on there. Which makes me wonder, is the local broadcast made exclusively for the Dallas/Fort Worth area or are they trying to streamline the other HD2 stations also named "The Summit"? So KZPS HD2 is also the one to keep an eye/ear on. Hope the local "World Class Rock" broadcast stays in North Texas.

I also found out that KDGE 102.1 HD2 is rebroadcasting iHeartRadio's "Sixx Sense" station page (http://www.iheart.com/live/Sixx-Sense-with-Nikki-Sixx-4762/). Also to keep an eye/ear on.

My guess is the local broadcasting equipment in both stations are having technical difficulties and they're putting in alternate streams until it's fixed.

I did a survey of what I could pick up on HD Radio with the tabletop Accurian in my home today. I also checked to see what the HD Radio site and the Ibiquity site had listed for HD stations in the DFW area.

Was broadcasting at one time in HD but wasn't (today): 89.3-1,2 .... 93.3-2 .... 103.3-1,2,3

97.1-2 has a rock broadcast, but I can't find info on what the name of the channel or it's format (I checked the KEGL web page to no avail). It sounds like a Def Leppard style station. They're playing Steelheart now, followed by Slippery When Wet and Skid Row.

107.9-2 is now branded as KXTN Tejano and Proud from San Antonio

I sent an email to HD Radio and KEGL to update their web pages.

Last edited:
I got response from KEGL, the station on their 97.1-2 channel is a National Classic Rock Station called "Slippery When Wet" amd self-described as "Big Hair and Heavy Metal".

http://www.iheart.com/live/Slippery-When-Wet-4858/

Looks like the big chains are plugging in National Radio stations to make use of the HD secondary channels.
And you foolishly though HD Radio would give you more local programming with local input.... :D :D :D

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom