• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Havelock's AM 1330 Deleted

Guess Dick Broadcasting threw in the towel on Havelock's AM 1330 (now DWWNG), basically in a letter saying they're discontinuing operations. I believe the final format was adult standards, anyone know why the new owner basically said "screw it" and turned it off? Station in rough shape? Land worth more than tower? It's AM in eastern NC? Just curious.

I have no knowledge on this one but land prices, facility upkeep (ie: needs a new ground system or rusted out tower) and lack of revenue are some that have been reasons for smaller AMs to pull the plug. The oddest thing to me is that the thinking of some companies is it is better to turn in a license than sell it to someone that competes for the ad dollars. The way I see it, if your company wants out of the station why should the buyer have any greater success than you did?

Unless the station's coverage area is not radio friendly (lots of big box retailers or lack of population) the old AM's with a FM translator can have some value. If you can make a "killing" with the land, I understand. For ground conductivity reasons IMHO AM towers should be in floodplains or wetlands where the land is unsuitable to building. WSB in Atlanta has a shopping center built on their transmitter site. I have always wondered if this:

http://www.nottltd.com/amgroundsystems.html

really works.

The AM's with translators should explore doing HD AM only (with the FCC's permission). That would save on the power bill.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom