• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Has CKMF Montreal Switched to Classic Rock/Classic Hits?

94.3 CKMF is one of Montreal's top French language FM stations. But while in Montreal, I was amazed at what I heard on "Energie." It sounded to me as if CKMF has moved to a Classic Rock/Classic Hits sound. Along with its chief competitor 96.9 CKOI, CKMF has been Hot AC or Top 40 for decades, leaning dance at times, even being a disco station at one point. Now, every English language song is a 70s/80s/90s rock song. No Beyoncé, no Miley Cyrus, no Bruno Mars.

All these English-language songs were played this morning, according to its website, under the page "Dermiers Moceaux Joués" or "Recent Morsels Played." They aired between French language songs...

Blink 182--All The Small Things
Stone Temple Pilots--Interstate Love Song
Oasis--Wonderwall
Lynyrd Skynyrd--Sweet Home Alabama
Smash Mouth--All Star
Bon Jovi--Living on A Prayer
Imagine Dragons--Believer
AC/DC--Highway to Hell
U2--With or Without You
Twentyone Pilots--Stressed Out
Beck--Loser
Supertramp--Give A Little Bit

The website shows the slogan "Plus de classiques, plus de fun." More classics, more fun. I really didn't think the French speaking audience, especially women in their 20s, 30s and 40s, would be interested in Lynyrd Skynyrd, Supertramp or AC/DC.

Meanwhile, it still sounds like the presentation is geared to young adult women, with happy uptempo DJs. Not what you'd hear on an American station focusing on rock artists of the past 40 years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom