• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

GSP ratings

One thing noticeable thing here is how all the Audacy stations are basically middle to lower end of the pack. With the recent Audacy bankruptcy I can’t see that bolding well for local talent should cuts come down the line at some point.
I think they did so much cutting already, there isn’t much left to cut unless they were to remove all local personalities from some stations or just have one.

WROQ is a consistent performer for Audacy, I’m not sure how much of their air staff is local but mornings are syndicated. I believe afternoons are voicetracked from NOLA. WFBC is only live during morning drive with the two canned national Audacy CHR hosts during the day then a voice tracked night show. WSPA-FM is syndicated in the mornings and only has two personalities during the day. I believe The Planet is the most local, they do use TRG on some other stations. WORD is very local which is odd as they might do better being syndicated like most talk stations!

Not sure about The Block, and they recently expanded the local programming on Fan even when their financials were getting bad.

No reason for WROO to exist with numbers like 0.2 and 0.3. Embarrassing. I mean Polka or Gregorian Chants would get better ratings!

Heck let me hook up my speaker to the transmitter, anything but whats on there now!!

Honestly, they really should, "Man Up!"
(Nod to their former format) ;)

No reason for WROO to exist with numbers like 0.2 and 0.3. Embarrassing. I mean Polka or Gregorian Chants would get better ratings!

Heck let me hook up my speaker to the transmitter, anything but whats on there now!!

Honestly, they really should, "Man Up!"
(Nod to their former format) ;)
Maybe 2024 will be the year 104.9 finally flips to something else. I won’t hold my breath, though, since iHeart seems to use it as a “sweetener” if you will for sales purposes with the other stations and be okay with it as is. I wouldn’t mind them returning to the previous format, or even alternative - X 98.5 is doing alternative but 104.9 has a much better C3 signal. I can’t think of anything else logical for them, we don’t need any more Urbans, 102.5’s classic hits format needs to be protected, definitely not country, CHR or AC.

Heck, 96.9 got around a 1 share as urban gospel, maybe they should try that? 🤣

A cool 90s throwbacks format would be nice. Too many "same old" 80s classic hits, but not enough 90s.

Knoxville TN rimshot has a great variety on WKVL (104.9) although I was having trouble picking up their signal even around downtown Knoxville (I-640) and points east (like Halls Crossroads / Kodak) and was very weak near Sevierville. Their live stream is still under the "104.9 Lake FM" banner.

Hey, with just a little bit of effort, WROO would be a much better "something relevant," but so far this is ridiculous, who wants to hear Sports at 3:00 a.m. or 3:00 p.m. especially all day long, and not just on weekends, heck perhaps keep a sports format on the weekends, and a music format on weekdays? I would buy their station for $200 if they don't care that much about it!

This is an obvious lack of effort on their part, or perhaps a lack of something like a creative mind. Who would listen to this for 12 hours a day? Putting "any" effort into it's potential would show that they care, Heck even an Earth FM "Jockless" with the old liners would be great, and that is even in demand and fresh in people's hearts around here.

They like being irrelevant apparently. Being stubborn and putting on something that very few people actually listen to, without any effort or improvement is very dumb, but thats just my opinion. I would rather hear Loud Whale Farts, or a 24/7 Burping Contest!

I remember many years ago, a brand new station (at the time) had signed on with a 24 hour loop of the song "Tubthumping" by "Chumbawumba" over and over, when it first signed on in 1998 (107.3 WPUR /Atlantic City) almost annoying on purpose after 10 minutes, but that stunt alone earned a 2.0 in the ratings!

Another example is WYRD and Audacy, which, no pun intended, (Had the Audacity!) and recently moved their talk format from 106.3 to 98.9 and then suddenly, it was like the best thing in the world since sliced bread! Realizing their "breakthrough" 😂 but it was important when it wasn't something popular and invested many years and time and $$ into... Then, Suddenly, they were boasting about fringe coverage, when they didn't ever seem to do that as a music station for their own local audience, when it should matter the most. Even worse, their new translators for Magic sound equally miserable and tired. Make it better but don't mistreat and degrade / disgrace / deteriorate somethingsomeone else cares about

But hey iHeart Greenville, They must be really proud of themselves, LOL. Is this station a burden or liability, and asset or something they'd rather not deal with? I say they have nothing to lose, take a risk and be daring yet curious, and try something new and go Full-On EDM or 90s Eurodance. Or maybe all 80's Latin Freestyle or all 70's Disco!....even if that gets even a 1.0 share...Even that is "More than 3x" Better Than it's Current Existence, and would be something unique, special and desirable; Make it irresistible! It might seem out of place and unusual, but it could be something to brag about, and not something to be embarrassed about!

(I'm sure many don't even know what EDM is around here. Imagine hearing The Prodigy or Deadmau5 all day. Now we're talking ;)

Last edited:
102.5’s classic hits format needs to be protected, definitely not country, CHR or AC
Some sources are saying 98.7 Simon in Greensboro, which "plays everything", is classic hits. The station has been number one in 12-plus on several recent occasions. So it can be done.

Some sources are saying 98.7 Simon in Greensboro, which "plays everything", is classic hits. The station has been number one in 12-plus on several recent occasions. So it can be done.
Some sites classify stations like Simon or Jack FM in Nashville as “adult hits” yet a station like, say, WOGL in Philadelphia is classic hits, yet the music they play is newer overall. Personally, I consider a station with an emphasis on 80s music, with 70s and 90s (and 60s in Simon’s case), classic hits. I don’t get what the difference is. There used to be a difference, but there isn’t really anymore.

Has anyone noticed that 106.3 has been a lot weaker over the past few days? I was getting static in Fountain Inn. I wonder if the wind over the past week damaged their antenna or something and they’re broadcasting from aux?

Latest:

Collapse for The Block, Magic cracks above a 3 on 106.3 for the first time. WORD on 98.9 is back BELOW where they were on 106.3 🤣

Where Magic is now, they aren’t that much lower than where they were on 98.9 toward the end.

Also a nice comeback for 92.5 and its classic country format.

Latest:

Collapse for The Block, Magic cracks above a 3 on 106.3 for the first time. WORD on 98.9 is back BELOW where they were on 106.3 🤣

Where Magic is now, they aren’t that much lower than where they were on 98.9 toward the end.

Also a nice comeback for 92.5 and its classic country format.

Sorry to see the Block collapse after quite a nice rise the past few months. Curiously WJMZ is still sinking fast and it looks like WSSL 100.5 is in striking distance of being #1.

WFBC and WHZT tied together as Hot 98 is on the rise again.

If WYRD slips below a 4.0 during an election year they have nobody to blame but themselves 🤣

It’s hard to believe that out of the entire cluster; only WROQ is really doing well for Audacy. The rest are essentially near the bottom. This has been the case for a while. Without them, they’d be in serious trouble.

HIS Radio is killing it against K-LOVE and pretty much unaffected by them several months in. The Air1 simulcast is beating both K-LOVE and 103.9, although barely.

It’s hard to believe that out of the entire cluster; only WROQ is really doing well for Audacy. The rest are essentially near the bottom. This has been the case for a while. Without them, they’d be in serious trouble.

HIS Radio is killing it against K-LOVE and pretty much unaffected by them several months in. The Air1 simulcast is beating both K-LOVE and 103.9, although barely.

I’d have to blame it on bad mismanagement at the top, because it still less than decade ago the whole Entercom cluster was still king. Essentially these stations have been left to rot for years now and haven’t been updated either, other than the switching deck chairs on the Titanic between the WSPA and WYRD signal swap. If 98.9 dips back into the 3’s like they were for the last year on the 106.3 signal then it was all for naught.

Money outranks ratings. 98.9 WORD has to be making the most money with advertising for Audacy despite the ratings. I know its costing more to operate as a news/talk station . The bump due to the election advertising will end in November but even then with over 20 minutes of spots WYRD will still make more money from advertising. Ratings do impact billing somewhat but some formats just outbill their numbers. Im sure its the same thing for 104.9 Fox Sports Upstate which is in the crapper ratings wise but bills well enough to justify that signal.

Money outranks ratings. 98.9 WORD has to be making the most money with advertising for Audacy despite the ratings. I know its costing more to operate as a news/talk station . The bump due to the election advertising will end in November but even then with over 20 minutes of spots WYRD will still make more money from advertising. Ratings do impact billing somewhat but some formats just outbill their numbers. Im sure its the same thing for 104.9 Fox Sports Upstate which is in the crapper ratings wise but bills well enough to justify that signal.
agree. as long as the revenue is there the ratings really don't matter

HIS just has so many loyal listeners. Same way in Charleston with their 100.5. Does surprisingly well even with their limited signal.

HIS just has so many loyal listeners. Same way in Charleston with their 100.5. Does surprisingly well even with their limited signal.
They’ve never really caught on in Columbia, which I think is due to WMHK having been dominant for so long. When EMF is able to buy an existing CCM station, they normally retain most of the audience which seems to have happened in Columbia.

For Greenville, I wonder how many listeners found out Magic still exists looking for Christmas music or hearing about it? I had long wondered if that may get listeners back that were confused when it just disappeared off 98.9. I don’t think we’re going to see them go back down to a 1 and a half share.

Something very strange I just noticed - Magic's RDS is promoting Hawk & Tom on B-93.7 during commercial breaks, saying "Listen to Hawk & Tom on B-93.7."

What the heck? Another Audacy engineering error, or are they deliberately trying to take listeners from Magic to prop up B? Why not promote Magic's own morning show they've had forever?

Something very strange I just noticed - Magic's RDS is promoting Hawk & Tom on B-93.7 during commercial breaks, saying "Listen to Hawk & Tom on B-93.7."

What the heck? Another Audacy engineering error, or are they deliberately trying to take listeners from Magic to prop up B? Why not promote Magic's own morning show they've had forever?
I remember when an AC in Charleston changed formats and sent listeners to a Top 40.

I remember when an AC in Charleston changed formats and sent listeners to a Top 40.
That makes sense if the station is changing formats to keep listeners in the cluster. There don’t appear to be any changes on the horizon at WSPA-FM so this really doesn’t make any sense in this case.

Ah! With the sale of 106.3, we now know why!

Back
Top Bottom