• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

GSP ratings

Money outranks ratings. 98.9 WORD has to be making the most money with advertising for Audacy despite the ratings. I know its costing more to operate as a news/talk station . The bump due to the election advertising will end in November but even then with over 20 minutes of spots WYRD will still make more money from advertising. Ratings do impact billing somewhat but some formats just outbill their numbers. Im sure its the same thing for 104.9 Fox Sports Upstate which is in the crapper ratings wise but bills well enough to justify that signal.
Now that the signal is bigger, they will be able to:
1) get a lot more money for those national political spots and
2) get local political ads for areas they never reached before, like Asheville

Latest GSP ratings are out! (12+):

Both CHR's drop below a 4 share. They seem to stay within 1/10th point of each other or so recently.

Magic hits a 3.3, a new high on 106.3, and ahead of the Planet.

Rock 101 saw a bad drop and WORD saw a bump, making 98.9 the highest rated station in the Audacy cluster, although overall 6th place if you could WLFJ which is ahead of it, 5th place excluding WLFJ.

Looks like some of the few listeners The Fan has moved over to 104.9.

Latest GSP ratings are out! (12+):

Both CHR's drop below a 4 share. They seem to stay within 1/10th point of each other or so recently.

Magic hits a 3.3, a new high on 106.3, and ahead of the Planet.

Rock 101 saw a bad drop and WORD saw a bump, making 98.9 the highest rated station in the Audacy cluster, although overall 6th place if you could WLFJ which is ahead of it, 5th place excluding WLFJ.

Looks like some of the few listeners The Fan has moved over to 104.9.

WJMZ was dethroned at #1 it’s been a few years since that has happened the free-fall continues. Yikes!

WJMZ was dethroned at #1 it’s been a few years since that has happened the free-fall continues. Yikes!
What the heck is going on there? More so, where are they going? The Block isn’t doing what it has before, and I don’t see any gain at WBAV. The dumpster fire at 99.5 is up, barely, but that audience is more likely to come from The Block or Hot than Jamz. Urban AC is doing well overall on a national basis.

Oh, also worth adding that exactly a year after WORD and Magic flipped frequencies, both sit pretty close to where they were on their old frequencies. People have finally found Magic and put it not too far from where it was on 98.9. WORD did well last month but overall it's been in the same range it was on 106.3. The ratings show it being a wash of a move, so considering the signal gain WORD got and the bit of a loss Magic got in the areas that count, we'd have to see what the financials say to make a determination on if it's been a success or not.

And for March…

WESC makes a comeback to make a rare claim for #2. Magic went out with a whimper. Has WEPR, in recent history, ever surpassed a commercial class C, let alone gotten such a high (for them) share? They’re marching on an upward trajectory surpassing the Planet, which is now below a 3 share.

And for March…

WESC makes a comeback to make a rare claim for #2. Magic went out with a whimper. Has WEPR, in recent history, ever surpassed a commercial class C, let alone gotten such a high (for them) share? They’re marching on an upward trajectory surpassing the Planet, which is now below a 3 share.

WJMZ also rebounded big time to reclaim #1 as well.

It’s interesting to see WEPR doing so well at the moment while WYRD slipped a decimal likely over due to GOP primary season ending up a non-story. I’m curious how they also still get classified as a “classical” station when really on a daily schedule the only classical music block is from 9AM-12PM lol. The rest is NPR talk programming until after 7 when it’s world music.

WJMZ also rebounded big time to reclaim #1 as well.

It’s interesting to see WEPR doing so well at the moment while WYRD slipped a decimal likely over due to GOP primary season ending up a non-story. I’m curious how they also still get classified as a “classical” station when really on a daily schedule the only classical music block is from 9AM-12PM lol. The rest is NPR talk programming until after 7 when it’s world music.
Well, technically, WEPR runs the "news and music" version of SCPR which is, from a musical standpoint, primarily classical except for a couple evening shows so that's where it may come from. They're classical late evening/overnights as well. The upstate is the only part of the state that doesn't get the "news and info" and "news and music" version of SCPR, so WEPR might do better if they had some more of the traditional NPR talk shows (both hours of Here and Now, Fresh Air, 1A most notably).

I've noticed a lot if not most "news/talk" stations are suffering or at least down. I'm surprised WYRD is holding up as well as it is - I think this is going to be a difficult election year for news/talk stations just because we've already gone through this before. People are tired of it. NPR has news but it's not stressful and grating like WYRD and others are. Who can handle listening to Tara, Frady, etc rage and make false predictions and stoke fear day after day? It seems like it'd create a pretty miserable existence. But, I have to admit, they must be doing something right because even compared to a lot of talk stations in other conservative markets, they're still outperforming even though the ratings are down a bit from what they were.

Just some thoughts. WEPR is likely doing well more because of the NPR talk programming than the classical music. Yes, they play some classical, of course, but they run NPR's biggest shows like Morning Edition and All Things Considered. I believe they are only classical for a few hours during the day from 9am to noon or 1pm. They go back to classical after 7pm.

With the Greenville area growing and more transparents moving in, it's likely the conservative haven in the Upstate is starting to shift. Just look at the politicians in the CITY of Greenville. Mainly Democrats. And, realize that with WGTK gone, WYRD should be doing TREMENDOUSLY in the rstings. But, they are just doing well. (I'm sure it's making money hand over fist, though.) I believe that the more liberal the town starts to lean, the better WEPR will do.

South Carolina Public Radio should really consider upgrading the station to HD so the classical and news/talk feeds could both be available in the Upstate. I believe that's what they do in Charleston. To get money for that upgrade, they could sell off a station or two. They don't really need all of them.

Yes, WEPR should indeed be upgraded to HD. Put the talk format on the HD1, classical on the HD2. That’s the typical approach in most markets.

What’s worse for WYRD is there are fairly liberal markets, more liberal than the upstate, where news/talk is doing much better. Raleigh-Durham and Atlanta come to mind. I believe WWTN in Nashville is still a powerhouse. WOKV in Jacksonville. I agree that the partisan makeup of the market is evolving, but under the hood things are even worse than they seem.

I’m still surprised from a ratings standpoint, WYRD got no bump from moving to 98.9. The numbers went down. IMO, that’s a further indicator that things are worse than they seem. If they were still on the more limited 106.3, would they be doing worse than they had been doing on that signal? 98.9 is one of the best signals in the market and hits the blood red enclaves of Pickens and Greenville counties very well that 106.3 didn’t.

WGTK going away was an extra 2 and a half share or so that went somewhere. Maybe it attracted more moderates that went to NPR?

I find WYRD’s format clock absolutely awful. It’s not the commercials as much as the constant national news, local news, weather 5x/hour, business news, sports news, etc during talk shows outside of drive time. It sounds like chaos. iHeart’s talk stations such as WVOC aren’t such a mess. News for 5 minutes at the top of the hour, weather, 90 seconds of local news at the bottom of the hour, programming and commercials the rest of the hour. In the smartphone era, I’ve already long known everything they’re reporting. Half of the time the current temperature is 4 or 5 degrees off and the news is recycled.

Just because the city of Greenville maybe politically changing I'm sure vast majority of people that can listen to WYRD leans right. The ratings are only Spartanburg-Greenville-Anderson-Pickens counties

Even I who loved Rush from the beginning and then felt he went too establishment until he was more patriot closer to his death. I barely listen to any political talk radio on the radio anymore. With infowars, Savage nation podcasts and even podcasts from Joe Rogan I dont need those sold out to radio for most of my talk entertainment.

South Carolina Public Radio should really consider upgrading the station to HD so the classical and news/talk feeds could both be available in the Upstate. I believe that's what they do in Charleston. To get money for that upgrade, they could sell off a station or two. They don't really need all of them.
As I recall, WFDD Winston-Salem NC has a classical HD channel. Other than that there is no classical music in the market unless one can pick up WDAV in the Charlotte area or WCPE in the Raleigh area, or whatever music WVTF from the Roanoke area has.

Correction. Even WVTF is limited to HD but a small area of the Roanoke market gets WWVT.

Even I who loved Rush from the beginning and then felt he went too establishment until he was more patriot closer to his death. I barely listen to any political talk radio on the radio anymore. With infowars, Savage nation podcasts and even podcasts from Joe Rogan I dont need those sold out to radio for most of my talk entertainment.
I enjoyed Rush but I don't listen to talk radio any more. And after 2016 his ideas sounded radical to me.

As I recall, WFDD Winston-Salem NC has a classical HD channel. Other than that there is no classical music in the market unless one can pick up WDAV in the Charlotte area or WCPE in the Raleigh area, or whatever music WVTF from the Roanoke area has.

Correction. Even WVTF is limited to HD but a small area of the Roanoke market gets WWVT.
WFDD is classical from 8pm-4am during the week, and at night on weekends as well.

SCPR could stay classical from 7pm-5am if they wanted to and ditch the midday classical block and add several shows they’re missing. The first hour of Here and Now, 1A, and Fresh Air come to mind. GPB is a good example. Talk during the day, classical/jazz at night.

WFDD is classical from 8pm-4am during the week, and at night on weekends as well.
I hadn't heard that.

Another location that had classical music but doesn't is Myrtle Beach, since all it has its whatever there is on WSCI. WHQR put classical music on HD but if WHQR needed a translator there, that tells me HD won't work. WHQR added a classical translator in Myrtle Beach but has dropped both of its translators, which now air Spanish language programming.

I enjoyed Rush but I don't listen to talk radio any more. And after 2016 his ideas sounded radical to me.
I remember listening to Rush in the late 90s. I distinctly remember him saying he was purely entertainment. Wow, did that change over the years.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Back
Top Bottom