• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Greatest top of the hour ID's in radio history

I also have jingles and IDs, from the cities where I grew up or listened to when I dx'd. I downloaded them to both my Android Cell phone music (sound card) library and multiple MP3 players... so listening to the oldies is enhanced with the jingles and IDs that played on the radio when the "HITS" were on the radio, doubling your enjoyment! Listen to Richbro.com and you will see what I mean.
To find particular station jingles and IDs, I have asked on this forum and had personal replies suggesting where to go -- PAMS and other sources.

I heard this on 3WE a few times: "W...W........W?....E! Cleveland"

One of my favorites is from 1973-1974. Coyote Calhoun- "W,A,K,Y...LOUISVILLE, IT'S SEVEN- OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-CLOCK!"

I also have some jingles in my iTunes library. Now I know I'm not (too) crazy.

"Rockinradio....Dub-bel-U-See-Eye-Ell...Eff-Emm, Car-bon-dale.......(WLS Package).... Best small market jingles... We even had the "Voice of Labor-Shockwave" when the others burned for a while....
http://www.darnay.com/wcil/

Late 60's and early 70's....Stu Lankford's AM Sign-Off of WAKO Lawrenceville, IL (then a daytimer)......

At this time, station WAKO Lawrenceville leaves the airwaves as required by the Federal Communications Commission... WAKO broadcasts on the frequency of 910 kilocycles at blah-blah-blah.... WAKO will return to the airwaves at blah-blah-blah.... We now encourage you to tune to 103.1 FM for continued broadcasting on WAKO-FM until 10:pm this evening.... (Here is the kicker!) The following hours of silence on 910am WAKO are brought to you by the Brockman Funeral Home in Lawrenceville and Vincennes... This is WAKO Lawrenceville, Illinois.... (turn off the box)..... :p

skippertthomas said:
Late 60's and early 70's....Stu Lankford's AM Sign-Off of WAKO Lawrenceville, IL (then a daytimer)......

At this time, station WAKO Lawrenceville leaves the airwaves as required by the Federal Communications Commission... WAKO broadcasts on the frequency of 910 kilocycles at blah-blah-blah.... WAKO will return to the airwaves at blah-blah-blah.... We now encourage you to tune to 103.1 FM for continued broadcasting on WAKO-FM until 10:pm this evening.... (Here is the kicker!) The following hours of silence on 910am WAKO are brought to you by the Brockman Funeral Home in Lawrenceville and Vincennes... This is WAKO Lawrenceville, Illinois.... (turn off the box)..... :p

That certainly is unique.

Can't forget K-Earth 101's drum roll legal ID's from the 80's!

or the Mighty 690 (XETRA) during the 1982-83 period.

Even before the WOAI ID mentioned above, they had one that went something like: "Serving 48 states, three countries and 2 continents with 50-thousand watts... This is 1200, WOAI San Antonio!" Not sure of the wording, but they had those countries and continents in there, and of course they were truly "clear channel" as the only station broadcasting on 1200AM at the time. - Another of my favorite IDs was on what I think was one of the best programmed stations of all time - WBT Charlotte. The voice was a big-time national announcer - Johnny Olson - and the simple call/city ID was followed by the news sounder.

Jeff Hunt
Roanoke VA

oldies76 said:
Can't forget K-Earth 101's drum roll legal ID's from the 80's!

Good one! Sister station WFYR here in Chicago used a version of this in the late 70s/early 80s.

In 1976, KGBS-1020 in Los Angeles changed call letters to KTNQ. The short-lived top-40 station had anID that began with a shrill sound that dropped in tone, similar to the sound used in Road Runner cartoons when Wile E. Coyote fell over a cliff. Then came four gunshots and a booming voice declaring, "KTNQ, Los Angeles, the new Ten-Q." The station and its afternoon DJ, the Real Don Steele (formerly at KHJ) were featured in the movie Grand Theft Auto.

In 2012, after all the mass killings of the past 30 years, no station would dare use gunshot sounds!

"Thank you for helping us do the chores this morning on the Little Red Barn program...Now, for my sidekick Bob Sievers, this is me, Jay Gould, wishing you bushels of luck for today...Acres of health from the good soil up, and a world of understanding, over the 50,000 watt voice of the big business of farming, Westinghouse WOWO in Fort Wayne, Indiana...Then that Group W Newsboom!

And then Jay and Bob hitched a ride with Mr. Haney and went to help Eb on Oliver Douglas's farm. :D

In January 1986, Los Angeles pop station KMGG, Magic 106, switched to a rhythmic CHR format. The ID said, "72,000 watts of music power---less talk. KPWR, Los Angeles, Power 106." In October 1986, Jay Thomas, who was (and is) also an actor and comedian, arrived from WKTU in New York to do mornings. A different ID aired uring his program; over the sound of a screeching chimpanzee, it began, "72,000 watts of bigmouth power---KPWR..."

Double Uuuuuuuu...A...K...Yyyyyyy....Louisville! (The legendary WAKY-AM 790)

"This is KLIF, the mighty 1190 in Dallas. At the tone 10am." - This would be my favourite station ID in history.

I need to get some off cassettes and share them.... The Super-'CFL's were fab...We used that package at WCIL-FM downstate in Carbondale.... With the close in three speeds to fit the song... Slow, Medium Speed and FAST Speed)... Tony would run them 18 months or so....Then we'd go back to the WLS package... Du-Drum-Dut-Duh Daaaaa-- ie: "Skip Thomas (shout)" (sung) "Rockinradio WCIL-Efff-Emmm, Carbondale!!!"... Our jingles had "101-5, Rockinradio 'CIL-FM!!!" in various speeds.. And "Southern Illinois' Favorite 'CIL-Eff-Emmm!"... Kint-98 had a killer ID in El Paso... KYMO in S.E. Missouri.. With a barge horn (short distance to the joining of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers... SEMO, Western Kentucky, NW-TN, NE-ARK and Southern Illinois)... WIFE and WNDE had good ID's in Indy... NOW WNAP was killer in Indy... "Phasing in stereo... THE WRATH OF THE BUZZARD... WNAP... INDEE-INNN-APPO-LISSS" Buster Bodine's brother from WIBC on the voice!!! The Late Chuck Riley!!! 93/KHJ Los Angeles.... 95/KJR Seattle Q-105 in Tampa.... Live read KFM-BFM San Deigo, FM-100!!! WHBQ-Memphis... Oh, sooo many mooore!

I can't remember who did it, but I think it was a rock station. It was something like:

"The federal government requires us to tell you we are [call letters] [city of license]. We don't care what the federal government says."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom