• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Great Month for Soft AC Stations

The discussion about a Buffalo station goes on for four pages. Some call it sleepy. Some say there's no excitement and advertisers won't buy it.

Now I can't find the music samples again. One additional note: WEZV has added Bruno Mars and other contemporary artists but those don't seem to be in the samples. So what I mean is WEZV when it first changed a year ago.

Never mind. I saw your post in another thread and apparently there is a completely different, beat-heavy song called "Just the Way You Are" that this dinosaur doesn't know. Sorry about that.
I heard the Billy Joel song today. Definitely soft. Even acceptable for standards. I suppose I should have said "Yes, they also play the song by Billy Joel", or, even better, "the song by the same title".

"Unwritten" is another annoying song I don't expect would be on the Breeze stations because it is newer. "Send Her My Love" is old enough. I can't recall seeing it in any of the lists. There's another one with the word "Stay" which I think is also called that.

Forgot to mention there are instrumentals when the DJ talks. Smooth jazz for Diane. With celebrity deaths there was a beautiful instrumental version of "The Way We Were". Wonder if any Breeze stations are going to go the other way? And I haven't heard The Carpenters or Barry Manilow mentioned, though I think it's just one song for both.

Last edited:
Wonder if any Breeze stations are going to go the other way? And I haven't heard The Carpenters or Barry Manilow mentioned, though I think it's just one song for both.

Probably a smart move. Both had their biggest hits in the early part of the '70s and they appealed to AC and older CHR listeners back then -- listeners in their late 20s to mid 40s who'd be in their 60s and 70s now.

I haven't heard The Carpenters or Barry Manilow mentioned, though I think it's just one song for both.

I looked at the playlist for WLIT in Chicago, and they're playing two songs by Manilow: Can't Smile Without You and Looks Like We Made It. Although each song gets one a spin a day. I don't see any Carpenters.

I looked at the playlist for WLIT in Chicago, and they're playing two songs by Manilow: Can't Smile Without You and Looks Like We Made It. Although each song gets one a spin a day. I don't see any Carpenters.
I just find it curious WEZV would even bother with them.

What Billy Joel song are they playing? You have a rather extreme definition of "soft" if "Just the Way You Are" doesn't fit it. While it's not as sleepy as "She's Always a Woman," it is much closer to that Joel song than it is to "Only the Good Die Young," "Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)" or even "Piano Man." Would "She's Always a Woman" be played on your ideal soft AC? How about "New York State of Mind"?

Don't worry about him. He just rambles on songs that are just too "hard" for his own personal tastes and has no point. If they're playing Bruno Mars' version of it, good for them. Gotta try to snag some young blood for $ale$.

Don't worry about him. He just rambles on songs that are just too "hard" for his own personal tastes and has no point. If they're playing Bruno Mars' version of it, good for them. Gotta try to snag some young blood for $ale$.

The Bruno Mars song isn't a "version" of a Billy Joel song. It's a different song with the same title.

No, they don't, and they can't claim to be soft, and I do have a point and I just made it.

Let me reword that. No, they don't have to go after young listeners if they want to claim to be soft. They can't have it both ways. I don't know whether the Breeze stations are playing that Bruno Mars song. WFEZ and WDUV are already too far gone, but there's hope for the Breeze stations.

WEZV also plays "Dreams" by the Cranberries. I heard it in a movie and watched the credits to find out what it was. Good song for a soft AC. I've heard the Bruno Mars song in a grocery store. I concluded it must be him when I heard the words. But that one sounded good when I heard the song and not the pounding that was the first thing I heard on WEZV.

In the February 2019 ratings, "The Breeze" (WISX) in Philadelphia is now in the Top 10 and according to David Eduardo, "The Breeze is nearly double its October-November-December average, and it has really solid 25-54 numbers."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom