• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Great HDTV Tropo, VA to RI (and the NBC10 Trifecta!)

snoqualmie7

Inactive
Inactive User
Some great tropo observed last night and this morning here in Richmond, VA.

1. Scan in the early evening last night showed nothing unusual, but a few stations from Norfolk (90 miles) were drifting in, including WAVY-TV (NBC10).
2. Did another scan, around 11:30pm , this time saw another NBC10, this time WCAU Philadelphia (first time catching this station).
3. Rescanned again minutes later, and this time, caught yet another NBC10: this time WJAR, which I had to look up to learn was from Providence RI. 428 miles, and my farthest HD catch ever.

Seems to be a very dynamic/unstable opening, stations not persisting very long like they sometimes do

Some other nice catches:
17 WPHL Philadelphia (203 miles) new
2 WFMY Greensboro (174 miles) new
7 WDBJ Roanoke (145 miles) new

--sno7

Sunday nights tropo made it to the Hudson Valley / Poughkeepsie, NY area, with signal coming in from all directions.

On DTV: New loggings included:
WSYT-68 Syracuse, NY.
WNYS-15 Syracuse, NY.
WGAL-8 Lancaster, Pa.
While not new, WPSU-3 Clearfield, Pa was in and out much of the evening.
Also not new was WBOC-16 Salisbury, Md. but I noted their secondary channel was "Fox21", and it came up as "21.2" instead of "16.2". (WBOC main channel came up OK as 16.1)

I had a signal much of the evening on ch 16 which I think was WHRO Hampton, VA, but it never came in strongly enough be decoded. Also a couple of signals from suspected Richmond stations were noted, but again not strong enough to decode.

Around 11pm, I switched over to FM briefly, long enough to nab logging #1300, WDYL-100.9 loud and clear from Lakeside, Va (Richmond's new rock). Also noted previously heard WKHK-95.3 Colonial Heights (Richmond), VA coming in very nicely.

Just before midnight, I swtiched to analog TV, and noted CBOFT-9 Ottawa, Ontario in French, and CHCH-11 Hamilton, Ont, both snowy, but watchable.

Then back to "no-snow" DTV, to catch WGAL-8 Lancaster, PA, now on rf 8, previously logged on transitional channel rf 58.

Monday morning, around 7am, I noted new log WIVB-4 Buffalo, NY.

During the day, while at work, I got an "unattended" new logging of WHYY-12 Wilmington, DE.

Now Monday late afternoon, no distant DTV noted, but I am getting some long-haul FM, such as "The Point"-94.9 Virginia Beach, Va, and WFMI-100.9 Southern Shores, NC back and forth with WDYL-100.9 VA. I hoping for some more DTV tropo later tonight.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom