• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

God Goes HD at WEEC

Will Southern Gospel fans buy HD radios? WEEC currently operates a Spanish language station on a subcarrier frequency. There goes 100.3-101.1 for DXing possibilities!

HD doesn't mean "high definition" for radio (as it's not); it simply means "HD" according to iBiquity. Hybrid Digital perhaps, but NOT high definition like TV.

HD doesn't mean "high definition" for radio (as it's not); it simply means "HD" according to iBiquity. Hybrid Digital perhaps, but NOT high definition like TV.

Johnny, you're right on but I have heard radio stations promoting that they are now in "High Definition". It is confusing but the public wouldn't know what to do with IBOC.

I used to live near Lawrenceville almost in the shadow of the WEEC tower, actually it has moved across the road I believe. Anyway when they signed on they had 77,000 watts ERP and I used a Heathkit FM tuner that I had built in high school. I liked it because it had a little magic eye device in the slider that marked the dial position but not a very good front end, so they wiped out the whole middle of the FM band for me. WBLY FM was also near by, but then down in the valley nest to the railroad on Troy road, they had only 20,000 watts and I had no problem from them. Later they increased to 50KW and later on moved onto the hill above the old location as WAZU.

Glad I don't still live there with the IBOC splatter, though they have gone back to the standard 50KW, probably when the tower moved across the street.

Who runs the old WEEC tower and studio house now before they moved across the road???

Did WEEC first come on before WFCJ or was it the other way around? Both had humble beginnings in a garage if I'm not mistaken.

That building has a beauty salon and a lady who has a business called Feet 2 Rub (and thats what she does). I once toured WFCJ and they had a picture of the studio building on the first day of ops in 1961, and it was the same building as now.

What about the old tower gr8? Anyone using it?

WFCJ is also doing HD as well as WEEC.

gr8oldies said:
I'd assume someone is, probably not a broadcast station (there may well be a backup WEEC antenna there).

I believe the 96.7 K-Love translator as well as the WKOI-TV translator is broadcasting off the old WEEC tower. I could be wrong though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom