• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

George Michael...years on WABC.

He opened both his radio and television shows with, "Good eeevening everybody, I'm George Michael."
I'll always remember him doing the Monday Night WABC-Coca-Cola Top-10(?) Countdown!

(During Mr. Wolf's first D.C. stint, channel 9's calls were WTOP-TV; when he returned, the calls had been changed to WUSA.)

But not directly. WTOP became WDVM when the Post unloaded it. It became WUSA when Gannett bought it. Of course, WDVM is now the calls of Hagerstown's ch. 25.

ixnay

Per an earlier discussion in this string, I found more information you might find interesting in the WABC tribute site. It's on the opening page:

https://musicradio77.com/

The funny thing is Wolfman's show sucked despite the enormous promotional dollars spent as described in the article. BTW, it was a real tombstone, not a prop. Still, I often wonder if it was yet another contributing factor seeing George Michael come to WABC. Over the years, I heard WNBC wasn't happy with their Wolfman decision but as we all know now, it created an opening and one Bruce Morrow filled.

Bruce had a good number of lucrative advertisers who sponsored his show. One of the biggest was one mentioned earlier as well - Coco Cola. Bruce did live spots for them and others. So, between the ever growing FM challenges and AM in the fray then as well, I often wonder what was at stake. Anyone know approximately what WABC Radio billed in 1973-1974? As mentioned earlier, the stakes were high. George looked like he would be up to the task.

Here's another example of just how unpredictable radio can be both now and in the past. I don't believe Wolfman's show was live and it sounded like it. If someone could verify - great. Despite all that, in 1973 I don't think anyone would have believed Bruce would be off WABC the following year and George Michael would be the new voice after 13 years.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom