• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Game On

pennandteller

Inactive
Inactive User
Finally sounds like a decent spring radio battle is brewing. Frog found $100 bucks here and there to reward their audience. Congrats to the Frog for 15 years (that 16th one was bumpy). Joe is tapping the locals to star in their TV spot. Nice beginning on the Joe site www.1059joefm.com too ... getting interesting.

Man....that old house on South Atherton looks kinda "dumpy" from the outside, but go to Joe's site and that studio looks pretty darn sweet. I don't think I have ever seen equipment quite that shiny new in these parts before.
I am not a country fan by any means, but it seems that Joe has the stuff to give the Frog one heck of a run for its money. Should be interesting to watch

Steve,

I have a good friend of mine that is a nice guy. He however is not some Greek God. He does not have the Adonis body or the model good looks. He however has a hot wife. The way you wrote this post would be like somebody saying out loud "That guy is kind of dumpy how did he get that woman"

You need to go out and take a tour of the building. I think of all State College stations it has the best location. I think they did a nice job with making it look "in place with its soundings" You cant just scream in there and make some kind of building that looks so out of character with everyone around them.

I have heard many, many horror stories about certain other stations with aging buildings in town. And yes our studio has a landlord that is a retail store for concrete supplies. The downtown exposure and presence make JOE station ahead of the curve. When we had our studio down town it was truly connected with downtown businesses. The people there knew that. We were part of the fabric of downtown.

I dont know how much of a design expert I am but I know three things about my buddy Steve.

You post things sometime either without thinking or just to throw out a under hidden point.

You are not a building design expert, Copper beach apartments who you work for has some REAL junk porperties, I have been in them. Another building you work in is a nightmare for a number of reasons, it was cool when we were but so was the mullet.

You have a hot wife and might not of done a situp in a while.

First point, I didn't think Steve's comment was a putdown in any way.

Second point, I think anyone who loves truly local radio is rooting for Joe or, for that matter, any station that is not under the Forever/2510 umbrella.

tsimpson said:
Steve,

I have a good friend of mine that is a nice guy. He however is not some Greek God. He does not have the Adonis body or the model good looks. He however has a hot wife. The way you wrote this post would be like somebody saying out loud "That guy is kind of dumpy how did he get that woman"

You need to go out and take a tour of the building. I think of all State College stations it has the best location. I think they did a nice job with making it look "in place with its soundings" You cant just scream in there and make some kind of building that looks so out of character with everyone around them.

I have heard many, many horror stories about certain other stations with aging buildings in town. And yes our studio has a landlord that is a retail store for concrete supplies. The downtown exposure and presence make JOE station ahead of the curve. When we had our studio down town it was truly connected with downtown businesses. The people there knew that. We were part of the fabric of downtown.

I dont know how much of a design expert I am but I know three things about my buddy Steve.

You post things sometime either without thinking or just to throw out a under hidden point.

You are not a building design expert, Copper beach apartments who you work for has some REAL junk porperties, I have been in them. Another building you work in is a nightmare for a number of reasons, it was cool when we were but so was the mullet.

You have a hot wife and might not of done a situp in a while.
Ted, my point was...if judging the cover from the outside, you would not expect what you see on the inside. Trust me, I know how the Borough is and I am sure they had enough trouble just getting to put that sign out front with the name of the place on it. We have all worked in facilities that are "adequate", but its fun to see (and play with) nice shiny new equipment every once in a while. Especially given how many of us are all voicetracked today, not a lot of thought seem to go into the real nuts and bolts of it (the equipment).

Does not matter if your studios are in a concrete building or an old half vacant building that once housed several radio stations and now is home to TWO with plenty of "storage space" in the rest of the place. The coolest place I ever worked was at WHPA in Hollidaysburg years ago that was in an old fitness club. We were the only radio station in town with a racquetball court, volleyball and basketball courts and a working sauna. Those things were neat converstation pieces, but did not contribue one ounce to the sound of the station. If anything our building had some weird acoustics sometimes that made for some funny microphone moments.

Its refreshing to see that Joe is putting its money where its mouth is and making the investment where it counts to try and make a dent at Froggy's audience. And yeah...being in the heart of downtown is great. I have many fond memories of my time spent broadcasting from the ground floor of the Embassador Building in downtown State College. It give you a presence that is tough to replicate any other way. That's all I was getting at.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom