• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

G 105.5 Myrtle Beach

I'm planning to go to Myrtle Beach the first Monday after Labor Day on which the forecast looks good for that day and the next two, or as close as I can get. I'll be sure to try it out.

What can I say? Rap is rap. If I had heard any familiar songs, that might have meant something. Considering Easy 105.9 is/was my favorite station in the area, I landed on this station a lot using a tuner that has to be turned in the motel.

Honestly, They are translating from WRNN-AM that barely had any listeners on it with ESPN Radio. Plus, the coverage area for the translator only covers Myrtle Beach and barely reaches outside the city limits. Apparently the feeder line for Wave went down and knocked them off the air and seeing its a bigger cash cow VS WRNN-AM/W288DK-FX in their terms sacrifices had to be made.

Either which, I agree with VChimpanzee the station is in trouble.

Not that this surprises me in the least.

How long has WNMB had the easy listening format. Good station.

I remember how good it was as a HOT AC station
You'd have to ask someone else when WNMB changed. I've seen different versions of what they did and didn't remember to listen when I was at the beach. As for Hot AC, that was on WNMB-FM. WEZV hasn't used those call letters since 2000. They dumped easy listening sometime last year.

Last edited:
Honestly, They are translating from WRNN-AM that barely had any listeners on it with ESPN Radio. Plus, the coverage area for the translator only covers Myrtle Beach and barely reaches outside the city limits. Apparently the feeder line for Wave went down and knocked them off the air and seeing its a bigger cash cow VS WRNN-AM/W288DK-FX in their terms sacrifices had to be made.

Either which, I agree with VChimpanzee the station is in trouble.

Not that this surprises me in the least.
This is why Music of Your Life didn't work back in 2000 when new owners decided that was where listeners of Joy 92 would go. WEZV picked up easy listening and the legendary Jim Morgan and quickly went to #1. Time for someone to do that again. The Surf has Mr. Morgan on Sundays but not during the week, and it's not easy listening any more than WEZV is these days, but it does have some easy listening tunes that WEZV doesn't.

I didn't find anything about WRNN-AM to get excited about. And when the Kennedy Center honored LL Cool J, I heard nothing that interested me. There are songs like "Rapper's Delight", "Bust a Move" and "The Humpty Dance" that I like, but I wasn't hearing those on WRNN.

This is why Music of Your Life didn't work back in 2000 when new owners decided that was where listeners of Joy 92 would go. WEZV picked up easy listening and the legendary Jim Morgan and quickly went to #1. Time for someone to do that again. The Surf has Mr. Morgan on Sundays but not during the week, and it's not easy listening any more than WEZV is these days, but it does have some easy listening tunes that WEZV doesn't.

I didn't find anything about WRNN-AM to get excited about. And when the Kennedy Center honored LL Cool J, I heard nothing that interested me. There are songs like "Rapper's Delight", "Bust a Move" and "The Humpty Dance" that I like, but I wasn't hearing those on WRNN.

Totally agree.

Meanwhile G 105.5 is now Hank FM... Which for the life of me, can't understand WHY they decided to go with a Country format, when Myrtle Beach is inundated with Gator, Nash FM, Carolina Country and an overlap of Eagle 92.9.

Meanwhile G 105.5 is now Hank FM... Which for the life of me, can't understand WHY they decided to go with a Country format, when Myrtle Beach is inundated with Gator, Nash FM, Carolina Country and an overlap of Eagle 92.9.
Seriously? Wait, Hank would be classic country, which they really need.

If that's true, that's good news. "Easy" is easy only about half the time. And The Surf is never easy.

And I have to push the button for an oldies station in this area and press right once.

What makes classic country a better format then throwback hip hop? 98.5 kiss fm has no one to compete with and that stations a mess. They don't know if they are urban ac or hip hop.

To bad when 92.1 flipped to Energy they didn't go more in a hip hop direction compared to Mix 97.7, Energy should go more Rhythmic or even straight hip hop

Myrtle Beach definitely needs a good Urban station. Cumulus did have POWER 100.3 which allowed 98.5 KISS FM to be UrbanAC. Can’t forget Quantum’s short lived Q107.1 with Steve Harvey and Keith Sweat. MB definitely reminds me of the former Greenville market with one urban

What makes classic country a better format then throwback hip hop? 98.5 kiss fm has no one to compete with and that stations a mess. They don't know if they are urban ac or hip hop.

To bad when 92.1 flipped to Energy they didn't go more in a hip hop direction compared to Mix 97.7, Energy should go more Rhythmic or even straight hip hop
If one of the "country" stations would play classics you might be right. But no one was really doing country music. WMIR came the closest but it wasn't close enough.

I remember when Power 100.3 was around. It was a decent station. And like you said it let both Power and Kiss be their own station.
That was back when Cumulus moved there stations around. Sunny from 106.5 to 103.1 and Country from 103.1 to 106.5 as The Wolf.

Getting back to who would go full blown urban. I'm not sure. I heart radio seems happy with all their stations. Powerhouses Gator and Mix aren't going anywhere. Rock 107 and Bob 104.9 also seem to do well. But if one changed it probably be 107.1

I agree about Power 100.3.

But Myrtle Beach needs a station like Rock 107. WKZQ sounds like it has been through a procedure to keep it from having kids.

Rock 107.1 does sound great. Good mix of older and newer rock. Not same stale boring classic rock.

Getting back to 105.5 changing formats. Will Energy play more throwbacks then newer music? I know the slogan is #1 for new music, but Energy does seem to play some more gold pop compared to Mix 97.7

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom