• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

future radio

if FM radio receivers are in phones & other devices in the future --- is it likely
they wiilll be HD-FM receivers?

I doubt it. Power hungry, adds a 30 dollar licensing fee to every device sold, and HD reception is unreliable at best. DOA, it just hasn't had its funeral yet. After ten years, it stinks worse and worse.

I doubt it. Power hungry, adds a 30 dollar licensing fee to every device sold, and HD reception is unreliable at best. DOA, it just hasn't had its funeral yet. After ten years, it stinks worse and worse.

The licensing fee is a couple of dimes... not $30.

What will "stink most" more than HD Radio ever could is hundreds of freebie FMs given out to AM stations who didn't plan ahead - giving existing full power commercial, community and LPFM broadcasters even more headache. Current proposal by your friendly FCC as of an NPRM today.

if FM radio receivers are in phones & other devices in the future --- is it likely

Sure if you don't mind carrying your phone in a wagon with a nice tall yagi FM antenna on a mast screwed to the side of your wagon. See below for new ultra fringe FM IBOC Yagi antenna, is supposed to receive IBOC radio up to 30 miles away!:

41698d1291737338-antenny-v-fotografiyah-oh8x-antena-monster-160-m-3-el.-yagi-.jpg

Sure if you don't mind carrying your phone in a wagon with a nice tall yagi FM antenna on a mast screwed to the side of your wagon. See below for new ultra fringe FM IBOC Yagi antenna, is supposed to receive IBOC radio up to 30 miles away!:

41698d1291737338-antenny-v-fotografiyah-oh8x-antena-monster-160-m-3-el.-yagi-.jpg

IDK - I've had pretty good luck out to 70 miles - but these full class C stations on 2000 foot towers over flat terrain are not the normal case. All of that ERP is wasted if the station is 98.5 or above - because any car driving up next to you tuned to a station 10.4 to 11 MHz below the station you are trying to receive will cause your radio to lose HD lock. They really should have thought that whole putting sidebands on adjacent frequency thing through before they implemented it.

I can't speak to the licensing feed but no, I don't expect we'll see HD radio added to mobile devices.

Not sure if they're still available online, but there were some early user reports on the HD Zune. The complaints mostly centered on excessive battery drainage, heat build-up and finicky reception. The radio could only be used for short periods of time. It may be that the latest generation of chips are more energy efficient and run cooler but that first foray into a hand-held HD Radio failed to impress.

The licensing fee is a couple of dimes... not $30.

Actually, it was as high as $12 per unit (2009), but I'm sure it's come down since then...but still in the range of dollars-per-unit, not dimes. That makes it a non-starter for many receiver manufacturers.

Didn't somebody demo a prototype FM-HD smartphone at CES this year or last?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom