• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Future of talkradio stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps..But in terms of non-political unbiased talk-radio, that ship sailed a long time ago...the Dean of this type of talk radio was the late Herb Jepko whose program "Nightcaps" originated on KSL. He took calls (mostly from older folks, retiree's etc) from all over western North America, mostly from rural areas. I think before the show was syndicated it was simulcast on WHAS to try and reach the rest of the country. The callers talked mostly about their local weather conditions , their families, and occupations. The program apparently had trouble securing a lot of sponsors because of its demos and never made any real money, but in it's heyday it had a very large audience.
Jepko's show sold a lot of direct response, like "Nitecap Insurance". I seem to recall it being on 4 50kWers. I forget who besides KSL and WHAS. WBAL maybe? Eventually it was a feature of the Mutual network.

That is your opinion, while many believe that once a fetus reaches a particular point it is a living being which is being hosted by the mother. We have persons with disabilities who are totally dependent on others, but we do not kill them either.
Once the mother is pregnant, there is a new person, a new body, that deserves rights and protections too. As one of the Pro-Life radio ads being aired from Lorain County (Ohio) Right To Life says... "We can do good things for both mother and child, even in difficult situations. Life... what a wonderful choice!"

Just a random question here.

I'm just wondering about a few people and the status of their radio career. Steady, increasing or on the decline:

Michael Savage
Denis Prager
George Noory

I used to hear Savage and Noory a lot on WRJ (AM 760) in Detroit, but not for the past 2, 3 years. Savage was on in the late evenings in the past, I think he got moved up to maybe a 7 pm time slot before disappearing. Noory was (naturally) on after midnight I think, probably the same time slot as is now used by the Red Eye Radio.

Prager was never (to my knowledge) heard on Detroit radio, I listened to him for a bit a couple years ago on the internet, I think he was on some California stations, don't know if he was carried nationally or not, I imagine he would have been.

Just wondering what they're up to these days, radio wise.
Dennis Prager has a daily national radio show from/on the Salem Radio Network. The show originates in his home state of California, and airs there from 9:06 a.m. - Noon. Dennis airs in Cleveland on WHK, AM-1420 from 1:06 p.m. - 3:00 p.m., with his first hour aired in the 10 p.m. hour. Further outreach is accomplished on his website and with his excellent 5-minute Prager-U videos.

Sounds like the right wing autocrats in Fla. and Texas.
They know nothing about "freedom."

Many don't like many things. A REAL "conservative" wouldn't force the HEAVY HAND of government to CENSOR school text books, drag shows and all sorts of views.
There has to be standards, otherwise there is chaos. Not allowing certain sexually-charged books in school libraries is totally appropriate. Drag shows in a night club is different than drag shows in a school setting. There is legitimate concerns about sexualizing children long before they are ready and when they should be focusing on important studies like reading-writing-arithmetic and computer use

There has to be standards, otherwise there is chaos. Not allowing certain sexually-charged books in school libraries is totally appropriate. Drag shows in a night club is different than drag shows in a school setting. There is legitimate concerns about sexualizing children long before they are ready and when they should be focusing on important studies like reading-writing-arithmetic and computer use
Yet I'm sure plenty of parents allow their kids to see sexually explicit movies, but I guess as long as nobody's gay, it's OK. We've been watching drag our whole lives, from Bugs Bunny to Flip Wilson. The same Christmas drag show has been to my city for years, but on;y this year was the lunatic far right OUTRAGED. Christopher Rufo decided that all things LGBTQ needed to be eliminated from society, and that community driven underground, back into the closet.
‘Manufacturing Hysteria’: Activist Who Weaponized CRT Tells Conservatives to Make Drag Queens ‘More Lurid’. Some of the images claiming to show drag queens are all predators (which is nonsense) are years old. There are already obscenity laws that cover any obscene performance. Targeting drag queens is ridiculous. If you don't want other people's children to see drag....well you can't control their or their parents' devices. Rufo was also the crusader trying to eliminate black history. It's like "Parental rights!".....but not THOSE parents (minority, LGBTQ, progressive).

Don't think for a minute Moms for Liberty (Ignorance) is some benign parents group. It's a well-funded organization that travels the country disrupting school board meetings and making violent threats to school board members, teachers and parents. The goal is to dismantle the public schools and fund private religious schools with tax money, while forcing religion, paid for with tax money. Teachers are not going to make your kid gay or trans, for heavens' sake.

I wish nobody wanted an abortion, but I believe it to be the woman's choice. We have states that want the full police power of the state, including prison and the death penalty, to FORCE any woman that gets pregnant to carry to term. That means her body is the property of the state for 9 months. We're already having women having to go out of state for care with wanted pregnancies that go wrong, and no, laws can't be written for every eventuality. Some of the most draconian states have the worst maternal mortality rates. We don't believe in a social safety net; bootstraps, bootstraps and more bootstraps, so draconian abortion laws make it especially tough for poor women (but don't worry, the wives and mistresses of GQP elected officials can be on the next plane to Toronto, while a woman working in an office for $12.00 an hour will be in prison for taking the morning after pill.)

There are no "drag shows in a school setting." Like much of the right-wing hysteria machine, that is manufactured fiction.

Moreover, we're not sexualizing children by acknowledging there are many kinds of relationships and families. No one cared one iota when "Mrs. Smith" casually mentioned her family, or showed up pregnant (presumably from that dirty s-e-x word). But if Mrs. Smith mentions her wife....oh, that's indoctrinating children. Disney movies since the invention of the medium have shown straight couples (Cinderella? Sleeping Beauty?). Not sex, but clearly heterosexual couples. But if there's a gay character in the exact same type of situation, suddenly that's indoctrinating children. It's pathetic.

This may be a hard concept for the fake outrage machine to grasp, but it is possible to teach academic subjects and acknowledge the world around us simultaneously.

Here's a simple rule of thumb: don't like gay marriage, don't marry someone of the same gender. Don't want to get an abortion? Don't get one. Don't want to read a certain book? Don't read it.

Yet I'm sure plenty of parents allow their kids to see sexually explicit movies, but I guess as long as nobody's gay, it's OK. We've been watching drag our whole lives, from Bugs Bunny to Flip Wilson. The same Christmas drag show has been to my city for years, but on;y this year was the lunatic far right OUTRAGED. Christopher Rufo decided that all things LGBTQ needed to be eliminated from society, and that community driven underground, back into the closet.
‘Manufacturing Hysteria’: Activist Who Weaponized CRT Tells Conservatives to Make Drag Queens ‘More Lurid’. Some of the images claiming to show drag queens are all predators (which is nonsense) are years old. There are already obscenity laws that cover any obscene performance. Targeting drag queens is ridiculous. If you don't want other people's children to see drag....well you can't control their or their parents' devices. Rufo was also the crusader trying to eliminate black history. It's like "Parental rights!".....but not THOSE parents (minority, LGBTQ, progressive).

Don't think for a minute Moms for Liberty (Ignorance) is some benign parents group. It's a well-funded organization that travels the country disrupting school board meetings and making violent threats to school board members, teachers and parents. The goal is to dismantle the public schools and fund private religious schools with tax money, while forcing religion, paid for with tax money. Teachers are not going to make your kid gay or trans, for heavens' sake.

I wish nobody wanted an abortion, but I believe it to be the woman's choice. We have states that want the full police power of the state, including prison and the death penalty, to FORCE any woman that gets pregnant to carry to term. That means her body is the property of the state for 9 months. We're already having women having to go out of state for care with wanted pregnancies that go wrong, and no, laws can't be written for every eventuality. Some of the most draconian states have the worst maternal mortality rates. We don't believe in a social safety net; bootstraps, bootstraps and more bootstraps, so draconian abortion laws make it especially tough for poor women (but don't worry, the wives and mistresses of GQP elected officials can be on the next plane to Toronto, while a woman working in an office for $12.00 an hour will be in prison for taking the morning after pill.)
There is a new child-sexualizing element to some drag that wasn't there previously.
I believe in choice. The choices that are made need to occur before the mother is pregnant as, at that point, there are two human beings involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom