• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Fresno Translator Battles

Note: I decided to make this thread title "plural" as this issue is likely to crop up again, same city, different channel,

Ginger Broadcasting was recently approved for an upgrade and frequency change to their K262DK (100.3) translator licensed to Muscatel. The power will be raised from 100 watts to 250 watts; the elevation from 12M to 82M. The antenna would move from northwest metro Fresno to near the city center. The switch to 100.1 MHz means a new set of call letters - K261FF.

Both Bott Communications (KCIV 99.9) and KMAK-FM LLC (KMAK 100.3) filed a lengthy joint rebuttal to the FCC's upgrade approval citing potential interference. The pleading is here and makes for a good read:

So ... Who is Ginger Broadcasting? Based on the rebuttal it sounds like all their paperwork including retransmission approvals just was not complete.

The previous translator owner was Juan Alberto Ayala, likely the same person associated with this mess:

Yet, I cannot seem to find the paperwork for the sale from Ayala to Ginger. Any insights readers?

i wonder if Ginger is Dan Alpert.. he is a red head, as i recall.. and was Ayala's attorney.. and is the "Rep" for Ginger Broadcasting

Doesn't make since, Remember 99.7 KKDJ in Central Fresno,
and KCIV Complained to the point that they had to move to 102.3 with much less power. I would think the same thing will happen, on top of interference to KMAK as well. Radio-Locator has it as a translator for KFRR 104.1, Why does KFRR need a translator in Fresno? KFRR is at Eshom Point with 17 KW, and comes in just fine, KBOS, KSEQ, KSOF, and other up there don't use a translator.

Last edited:
I wonder if KFRR even knows that the translator will rebroadcast them?
Good Question, funny thing though if you put in the cordinates of the location of the new transmitter, it puts it on the old PG and E building which is right next to the One Putt Broadcasting Building on Fulton St.

Now filed with the FCC : "Ginger Broadcasting hereby requests an extension of time, until April 29, 2022, within
which to respond to the “Joint Petition for Reconsideration” filed on behalf of Bott Communications, Inc. (“Bott”) and WMAK-FM, Inc. (“WMAK”) filed on April 7, 2022. Ginger Broadcasting’s Consulting Engineer has been out of town on vacation, and thus unavailable for
consultation, for the past ten days. Additional time is therefore necessary within which to respond. Counsel for Bott and WMAK have been contacted and have consented to this extension request."

The "engineer" in question? Why - That would be "The Professor"... "Oh Gilligan?" asks the Captain....

Once it's up and running, could be sold to anyone. I still don't see how this won't cause problems with KCIV.
I agree, because there's already two Adjacent stations in Fresno, KUBB 96.3 is at the same location and same power as KCIV 99.9 and there is 96.1 repeater for KEYQ AM that has 200 watts, I think the problem would be more with KMAK 100.3 around Downtown.

I agree, because there's already two Adjacent stations in Fresno, KUBB 96.3 is at the same location and same power as KCIV 99.9 and there is 96.1 repeater for KEYQ AM that has 200 watts, I think the problem would be more with KMAK 100.3 around Downtown.
I think they could get away with messing with KMAK downtown, if a tree falls in the forest ya know. It was a letter writing campaign from KCIV listeners that forced KKDJ off 99.7
Bott? So this might be a translator for KBIF.

Doesn't make since, Remember 99.7 KKDJ in Central Fresno,
and KCIV Complained to the point that they had to move to 102.3 with much less power. I would think the same thing will happen, on top of interference to KMAK as well. Radio-Locator has it as a translator for KFRR 104.1, Why does KFRR need a translator in Fresno? KFRR is at Eshom Point with 17 KW, and comes in just fine, KBOS, KSEQ, KSOF, and other up there don't use a translator.
There is simply too many translators popping up all over. There is a new 97.5 down in Visalia that just started and now 97.5 KABX is getting a little harder to hear once you go south of Fresno because of the interference.

The owners of KABX 97.5 (SMG-Merced LLC) should have launched a listener survey in the 45dBu-to-54dBu zone during the first year of the Momentum's launch of 97.5MHz. I think the passing of the year-mark may negate any Fresno-area listener complaints at this point.

Part of the issue may be KABX operating with lower power on an STA. Per their March FCC letter:

"SMG-Merced, LLC, licensee of KABX, Merced CA, facility 41173, requests Special Temporary Authorization
to operate at a reduced power of 5.8 KW ERP. Two power modules in the aging Armstrong transmitter are not capable of making the full 8.8 KW ERP. These modules are no longer supported by Armstrong, neither by parts or service. SMG-Merced LLC is exploring replacing the transmitter with a new model."

The owners of KABX 97.5 (SMG-Merced LLC) should have launched a listener survey in the 45dBu-to-54dBu zone during the first year of the Momentum's launch of 97.5MHz. I think the passing of the year-mark may negate any Fresno-area listener complaints at this point.
The Battle For Fowler! An Epic! Who will win? lol
Oh wait... Merced don't care about Fowler .... Tulare/Visalia don't care about Fowler.... hmmm... Oh, nevermind

I am not sure if this is just a paperwork/database transaction on the original filing or if the foretells the rejection of the much larger proposed facility.... but....

Today (August 5, 2022), the FCC dismissed Ginger's License to Cover (L2C) for the original configuration of K262DK on 100.3 which would have been a relay of KFRR, retrans permissions notwithstanding. This was for a 27-watt ERP signal with a COL of Muscatel

(I have yet to find the FCC comments to Ginger , AKA the rejection letter.)

The bigger issue is whether K262DK will have its proposed 250-watt directional signal authorized, despite the massive joint filing by Bott and KMAK . The filing is referenced in previous postings.

Shields up folks. We got ourselves a "translator war,"

It was reportedly never built. Seems many of Dan Albert's clients never built their stations. Lost fo LPTV license & CPs being canceled by the FCC.

This is an application for license to cover Construction Permit File No. 157690, which modified File No. BNPFT-20180807ACH. A License to Cover was timely filed. File No. 0000158825. The data in the application, however, is wrong. Therefore, this present License to Cover Application should be treated as an Amendment to the prior filed License to Cover.

I am not sure if this is just a paperwork/database transaction on the original filing or if the foretells the rejection of the much larger proposed facility.... but....

Today (August 5, 2022), the FCC dismissed Ginger's License to Cover (L2C) for the original configuration of K262DK on 100.3 which would have been a relay of KFRR, retrans permissions notwithstanding. This was for a 27-watt ERP signal with a COL of Muscatel

(I have yet to find the FCC comments to Ginger , AKA the rejection letter.)

The bigger issue is whether K262DK will have its proposed 250-watt directional signal authorized, despite the massive joint filing by Bott and KMAK . The filing is referenced in previous postings.

Shields up folks. We got ourselves a "translator war,"
Still don't understand why KFRR needs a repeater there, unless it's because during Tule fog and tropo conditions, KHKK 104.1 Modesto sometimes over take KFRR in N/W Fresno.

Still don't understand why KFRR needs a repeater there, unless it's because during Tule fog and tropo conditions, KHKK 104.1 Modesto sometimes over take KFRR in N/W Fresno.
With the shenanigans that go on with x-lators - if this ever makes it to being on the air, don't be surprised if it doesn't even have KFRR on it but something else.

Back
Top Bottom