• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FREELANCE PRODUCTION RATES

FreddyB

Inactive
Inactive User
Got a call from a friend who has a syndicated radio show, and he wants to edit down some of his older shows for archiving and "best of" shows. Now, I work full-time as a VO, but I've been a production nut for many years (yes, I go back to the razor blade and splice tape days). I have never done freelance production, so I have no idea what to quote him. My question: what is a fair rate to do something like this?

Only YOU can determine what to charge.
For editing, I would go with an hourly rate.

If you don't know what to charge, maybe you're not a pro (as in, this is how I pay my mortgage), yet.
Not meant as an insult :), you could be quite skilled.

A good starter rate might be $25 per hour for editing only.
Professional, commercial studios are usually around $100 per hour.

surfdude said:
Only YOU can determine what to charge.
For editing, I would go with an hourly rate.

If you don't know what to charge, maybe you're not a pro (as in, this is how I pay my mortgage), yet.
Not meant as an insult :), you could be quite skilled.

A good starter rate might be $25 per hour for editing only.
Professional, commercial studios are usually around $100 per hour.

I was thinking $75 per hour. Maybe I'll go for 50.

BTW, I'm a 30+ year pro, and have headed up production departments in several stations in that time - I've just never done it as a freelancer. As I stated, my friend came TO ME. He came to me because he's aware of my experience. And again, I'm a full-time voice actor, but who couldn't use some extra cash on the side?

Yeah, I worked in radio prod for years, it was all part of the salary. So,
now, what I meant by pro, you have to look a client in the eye and say
"I'd love to do it, it's $75 an hour".

Real veterans charge by the hour, and then work real slow (lol).

Good luck Freddy.

Bill
www.asapaudio.com

Thanks, Bill! I knew what you meant, but I wasn't sure if I was clear or not in my original post. This isn't something I want to do as a regular gig, but maybe it'll put a tank of gas in my car.
;D

You can always try the "My regular fee is $75 per hour..."

If he blanches and stammers, you can add the "...but for you, I'm willing to do it for $50 an hour". That way, you establish a "regular price" AND "give him a deal".

surfdude said:
Yeah, I worked in radio prod for years, it was all part of the salary. So,
now, what I meant by pro, you have to look a client in the eye and say
"I'd love to do it, it's $75 an hour".

Real veterans charge by the hour, and then work real slow (lol).

Good luck Freddy.

Bill
www.asapaudio.com

Bill
Who designed your site? Love the rocket with the jet fuel/heat effect.

SirRoxalot said:
You can always try the "My regular fee is $75 per hour..."

If he blanches and stammers, you can add the "...but for you, I'm willing to do it for $50 an hour". That way, you establish a "regular price" AND "give him a deal".

I employ this tactic often. Have to already know the rate your going to "come down to". Can't stammer. Be prepared.

Especially with the economy the way it is. Let them think/know they're getting a deal. Everyone likes a deal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom