• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FRAUD ALERT!!!

SquiggyFM

Inactive
Inactive User
So I get a call from "private number". I answer and a woman with a thick accent of some sort (I'm going with Pakistani) was on the other line and told me a qualified for a 12.5k government grant. Happy about this seemingly wonderful event I asked her some questions, she then forwarded me to her manager, who sounded German. He asked for my checking number, I then told him I'm not into that, and then I asked him from what department the grant was coming from.

He then said "The Grant Department".

I was amazed. How could President Bush create a new cabinet level position without me knowing? The Secretary of Grants??? Wow. Go Bushie.

So FYI, if these buffoons call you, hang up.

Order call Privacy. Private numbers will not go through. Callers will be ordered to press pound to display their number on your call display, or to enter another number. Usually the process of entering another number requires that the number be entered twice, annoying those trying to annoy you.
Neat huh?

<P ID="signature">______________
"If you never say NO, How much is your YES worth?"
</P>

> So I get a call from "private number". I answer and a woman
> with a thick accent of some sort (I'm going with Pakistani)
> was on the other line and told me a qualified for a 12.5k
> government grant. Happy about this seemingly wonderful
> event I asked her some questions, she then forwarded me to
> her manager, who sounded German. He asked for my checking
> number, I then told him I'm not into that, and then I asked
> him from what department the grant was coming from.
>
> He then said "The Grant Department".
>
> I was amazed. How could President Bush create a new cabinet
> level position without me knowing? The Secretary of
> Grants??? Wow. Go Bushie.
>
> So FYI, if these buffoons call you, hang up.
>

The Hugh Grant Department. He's a very generous chap who has apparently put together a multicultural staff.

> > So I get a call from "private number". I answer and a
> woman
> > with a thick accent of some sort (I'm going with
> Pakistani)
> > was on the other line and told me a qualified for a 12.5k
> > government grant. Happy about this seemingly wonderful
> > event I asked her some questions, she then forwarded me to
>
> > her manager, who sounded German. He asked for my checking
>
> > number, I then told him I'm not into that, and then I
> asked
> > him from what department the grant was coming from.
> >
> > He then said "The Grant Department".
> >
> > I was amazed. How could President Bush create a new
> cabinet
> > level position without me knowing? The Secretary of
> > Grants??? Wow. Go Bushie.
> >
> > So FYI, if these buffoons call you, hang up.
> >
>
> The Hugh Grant Department. He's a very generous chap who
> has apparently put together a multicultural staff.
>

Oh really,,, I thought it was the Lou Grant Department. Named after Ed Asner, about the only person Bush could nominate to head a cabinet-level department without a Democratic fillibuster.

> So I get a call from "private number". I answer and a woman
> with a thick accent of some sort (I'm going with Pakistani)
> was on the other line and told me a qualified for a 12.5k
> government grant. Happy about this seemingly wonderful
> event I asked her some questions, she then forwarded me to
> her manager, who sounded German. He asked for my checking
> number, I then told him I'm not into that, and then I asked
> him from what department the grant was coming from.
>
> He then said "The Grant Department".
>
> I was amazed. How could President Bush create a new cabinet
> level position without me knowing? The Secretary of
> Grants??? Wow. Go Bushie.
>
> So FYI, if these buffoons call you, hang up.
>

That's a new one. At work, I always get calls from someone who either claims to be from the supply department or from a company that "maintains your copier" and wants to get the model number from the unit, and tries to get my name. For one thing, I work at a small company that has about 40 people and we're all either working from home or at this one single office, and as such, the "supply department" is a cabinet behind me at my work station. They do this so often and each time it seems as though they are trying to improve the script they use.

In any case the whole scam is basically to try and get a name of someone at a company and the model number of a copier so they can send toner without real authorization and bill the company for it assuming the company is large enough to not notice the expense.

I like to mess with them sometimes. One time, someone called and before we got to the line for my name (they changed the script now as just asking the name first became a dead giveaway) I started giving a fake model number, and the woman got angry and called me stupid saying there's no letters in the model number, I told her "that's ok, there's no copier either, moron!"

The ironic thing is we do have one of those 5in1 units that is used as a fax/copier/scanner and such, and it's model number starts with letters.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom