• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Francesa Speaks Out On ESPN Ban

Despite Mike Francesa's WFAN program being the top sports radio show in the top radio market, sports figures involved with ESPN are banned from appearing on the show. It's a policy Francesa says ESPN has been "steadfast" about for "six or seven years".

More (fourth paragraph):
http://www.radioink.com/Article.asp?id=2509506&spid=24698

Why is he surprised? ESPN now has their own radio outlet and radio brand. There are all the shows for them to appear on at their "home station", hence no need for any of them to be on the Fan or talk to Francessa.

Boo-hoo Mike, the world's smallest violin is playing for you right now.

In my mind Francesa's hatred for the Jets compromises his show. For a knowledgeable sports host to let his personal feelings intrude on his ability to be fair when speaking or analyzing
a sports team makes him difficult to listen to.

TonyOldies said:
In my mind Francesa's hatred for the Jets compromises his show. For a knowledgeable sports host to let his personal feelings intrude on his ability to be fair when speaking or analyzing

I don't listen to his show enough to really get a feel for his bias against the Jets, but I kind of like that. If you're a true sports fan you need to be biased. I think it adds a bit of intrigue to the show. I'm sure all sportscasters have a favorite team whether they can admit it on the air or not, and I hate listening to them pretending to be neutral. I have always hated watching or listening to national telecasts of sporting events because it's much more fun to get the "homer" viewpoint of the game.

TonyOldies said:

IMHO, there's no love lost between the Jets and WFAN. WFAN was the Jets' flagship from 1993-99. When Woody Johnson became owner after the passing of Leon Hess, the first thing he did was pull the Jets broadcasts off WFAN. Woody had no use for Joe Benigno's criticisms of the Jets, especially after a bad loss. Francesa even said at the time it was an owner move and that Leon Hess would've done no such thing. Jets officials have repeatedly blamed 'FAN personalities for "poisoning" the atmosphere around the team.

I'm fine with Francesa's criticisms of the Jets. :)

That ban happens in other markets as well. A few years ago, when Peter Gammons was still at ESPN, he was banned from appearing on Boston's WEEI, a station where he has been a frequent guest over the years, because ESPN had a fulltime affiliate in the market, which then was WAMG. He tried to fight it, since WAMG had a horrendous signal, and he had a lot of friends at WEEI. Once WAMG flipped format, and WEEI aligned with the Worldwide Leader, Gammons could go back. Now that he's at MLB network he has no such bans or restrictions. This is simply ESPN protecting their brand, and giving their radio outlets the exclusivity to their TV personalities.

WIP/Philly doesn't have ESPN people on their air either, since 97.5 The Fanatic is the ESPN Radio home in that market.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom