• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Fox News EAS attention tone this morning

Howdy,

Five of my stations I do engineering work for carry the Fox News satellite newscast at the top of every hour. I happened to have been listening to one of these stations about an hour ago and heard Fox News play an EAS attention tone intentionally as part of a prerecorded audio clip in the newscast, albeit only for a second or two.

Here's a clip of the two minute 12 PM CST newscast that aired:
Is there enough there that I need to do anything about it? Figured I'd let anyone else in here who also has a station that carries the two minute Fox News newscast know as well. Thanks!

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum section. Wasn't quite sure where this belonged.

Was this in Taiwan? I'm not sure that there is anything wrong with this if that is the case unless their EAS alerts are exactly the same as ours.

Also, hello from former Fargo resident!

The ATTN tone isn't what gets you in trouble. It's the preamble tones that contain the message headers that could set off EAS boxes down the chain.

Simulated EAS tones are prohibited.

"A “simulation” of the EAS codes or EAS or WEA Attention Signals includes not only recordings of actual EAS codes or EAS or WEA Attention Signals, but also sounds that mimic or are substantially similar to them, such that an average listener could reasonably mistake the sounds for an actual EAS code or EAS or WEA Attention Signals. In addition, such false use of the EAS codes or EAS or WEA Attention Signals may be considered a “false distress signal,” which is prohibited under Section 325(a) of the Act."

Back
Top Bottom