• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Former Atlanta Radio DJS-Where are they now?

Many will be attending the Z93 Reunion October 4th, including John Young, Lindsey, Steve Mapel, Randy Reeves, Steve McCoy, Dan Mason, Ross Brittain, Brian Wilson, Scott Woodside, Matt Caesar, Jay Andrews, and Johnny Bee. www.grhof.com

RADIO TRUTH said:
Where are Machine Gun Gary, Bill Travis, Joann Liner Haynes (Shana) from Z-93 circa 1977? Where is Alan Harrison from WAOK from 1977? Where is Mitch Faulkner from the soul station that Zappis Communications owned in 1985?

Machine Gun Gary, "The Hitman of Rock 'n Roll" (Airname "Gary Morgan") is working at an Atlanta TV station in the production department. He is married and lives in the north metro area. You can still hear his voice on local commercials for car dealers, etc. He paid me a surprise visit a few days ago at my office near ATL. We worked at three different radio/TV stations together in Dalton Chattanooga and Atlanta. I worked with him (not his real name-not sure if he would want to be "exposed") and Joann Liner at WTTI (a 10Kw AM) in Dalton in the mid-70s. Joanne was at WVEE (V-103) - I don't remember her ever being at Z-93. She married an FCC inspector while she was at V-103 (I think that's how she became a Haynes). We dated briefly while in Dalton. I also worked with Yetta Levitt, Gary McKee's sidekick ay WQXI. Last I heard, she and her husband were children's software developers in Jacksonville, FL. I think she's still involved in stage acting.

-and no, I'm nobody you've heard of! :p I left broadcasting in 1984...

Glad to see that someone remembers me! I'm Joanne Liner, or, Shana from Z-93. Now at CC major market in Texas....have been here 15 years. I miss Atlanta a lot, hope to be at the reunion. I remember all those names in this post & can't wait to see you all. I read the Atlanta boards all the time.

Only jobs here when I arrived were in talk radio, so, I learned talk. Now, I love it! I'm a producer here. Before CC, I was an anchor at Metro Traffic. Met my hubby here at CC, he's a producer also...this guy understands the hours & craziness of radio, so, he's a keeper.

Steve...I worked in Dalton when I was a kid, long before Z-93, one summer. You left radio, dude? With that good voice?

PS - Not a party animal anymore! Actually, I'm a nice lady - everyone says I look like Sharon Osborne! See you in October, everyone. Love y'all!!! :)

I did work for Moe. He was a great guy, too! He called the station WWXX Money Radio. I was board-op from sign-on to sign off, then, we hired a nice guy named Pat Flanigan who took over afternoon to sign-off. I was there for a couple, three months as I recall. We worked our tails off, were actually just board-ops, but, that little station sounded pretty good: network shows good and informative....and I got my picture on the front page of the Alpharetta paper....and, I still have the article.

And, I'll never forget Great American Radio in Dalton. Ron & Faye were the owners, and I just thought the world of both them. It was a great summer....but, again, I worked my butt off. Busy station...God, I did a lot of production!

But then, I'm a radio person, and feel at home in a radio station....so it has always suited me just fine. I still love the business and the work I chose after all these years. (OK, never mind how many years!!!) When we (all) gripe about the pay, the hours, and etc: just remember, what about all those people who hate to go to work?

I am glad I look forward to every day I'm working....every day is different & new.

See you in October, everybody.....

Anyone know where the world Melissa Miller went to? Last I heard of her was when Cadillac and Dallas were on vacation. Now I get back to listen to Bill Celler and Evalyn Kay? Does anyone know what happend to herr?

What about Randy Miller who did mornings during the mid 80's during Z93's "Hit Radio" period? Miller has to be one of the wildest and funniest jocks that ever passed through town. I know he did mornings for years at country KBEQ Kansas City, but does anyone know where he is now? I used to listen to his morning show on Z93 back in the day from 120 miles away in TN. while getting ready for high school every morning.

I understand Randy is doing morning traffic reports on KCTV5 in K.C. He's also spent some time doing talk radio there as well.

RadioWarrior said:
Sandy Weaver? Heard she was going to Dallas. True?

Nope...staying in Atlanta, running a voice business and lovin' life!

Hi, Atlanta!

My name was on the list last Tuesday January 20th at CC...but next day began talking with another station. We'll see what happens.

Would anyone like to hire Houston's best live talk board-op/producer? I'm available.

BTW - I missed all of you when Hurricane Ike blew away my trip to Atlanta for the Hall of Fame thing. I was busy that week: five days at the station (straight board work & phones) 12 days without power at home, and a totaled car (replaced with a Miata, like this one better) but, I do hope I will get the chance to visit The ATL sometime.

Robert Baughan on WIIN/97 was one of my radio heros when I was in high school. I tracked him down about 10 years ago. At the time he was Production Director of some station in California. Bakersfield, I think. He was using the name Robert J. Stevens, which he adopted while still in Atlanta. He was originally from Mt. Airy, North Carolina.

Dale O'Brien is still bouncing around Atlanta somewhere. He called me several years ago when he was in Las Vegas and we went downtown and ate deep-fried twinkies and watched the light show on Fremont Street. He made so much money at WSB and WPCH that he probably never has to work again.

Dain Schult is in Austin, Texas. I had dinner with him several months ago while visiting Austin. He's running a company that operates an ISP in Oklahoma and he's still trying to buy some radio stations.

Larry Fuss
("Larry O'Neal" during my Carrollton (WPPI), Macon (WNEX, WMAZ, WRBN and Atlanta (WSB-FM) radio days)

I could be wrong because the spelling for "O'Brian" is different but there is a Dale O'Brian morning show on WCDA-FM in Lexington, KY.

If all of these people Woodside, Weaver, Obrien were so wonderful, why aren't they still around?

Management nightmares?

RoddyFreeman said:
The B98.5/Peach Dale O'Brien came to the GRHOF reunion in October.
The B98.5/Peach Dale O'Brien also did afternoons on Z93 for many years. He went from there to B98.5 (then called "Atlanta's 99FM", later WSB-99FM and finally B98.5), then to Peach where he was reunited with Kari Dean. The folks at Peach didn't let him talk much so his talent was wasted there. Dale was a funny guy!

LF

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom