• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Foreign language movies on commercial TV

On a recent TV listing post from 1970, I noticed a Minnesota station programmed a movie filmed in French. It wasn't mentioned whether the movie was dubbed (most likely) or the original language. So it got me wondering: do you remember watching your local stations and seeing a movie not in English? And did the networks ever air such a movie. The usual qualifications: no stations that usually broadcast in foreign languages and no PBS stations.

On a recent TV listing post from 1970, I noticed a Minnesota station programmed a movie filmed in French. It wasn't mentioned whether the movie was dubbed (most likely) or the original language. So it got me wondering: do you remember watching your local stations and seeing a movie not in English? And did the networks ever air such a movie. The usual qualifications: no stations that usually broadcast in foreign languages and no PBS stations.
A little qualification here: Spanish is not a "foreign" language to a huge percentage of the area of the United States. Florida, Texas, part of Oklahoma, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Puerto Rico and California were all Spanish colonies way, way before they were seized to become part of the United States back in the US' colonial period.

While there is a huge wealth of movies in Spanish, there are very few in Native American languages as well. But those tongues are not "foreign" and calling them that would require we call English a foreign language.

I get your point, but awareness of who we are and how we got there is part of the understanding of "America"... a name, of itself, quite foreign to what is the United States today.

I could also go into a discussion of early Dutch (New Amsterdam) and French (New Orleans) influences or the Sub-Saharan African tongues of slaves, but I think I covered the main point already: almost all of us are principally speakers of a "foreign" language.

I knew Japanese anime shows at one point like Dragonball Z, and Pokemon were at one point aired in the USA via TV syndication rights via local stations in the 1990's to the early parts of the 2000's. But they were dubbed in English for US audiences.

I do not know if any of their movies aired on the same places or if they went straight to VHS, and DVD from this time frame. Some of the animae's episodes were on cable at one point.

Starz! WAM used to air many anime series and movies, though of course dubbed in English.
In the 90s there was the International Channel airing anime like Dragon Ball Z in Japanese. I don't know if they had films as well.

When I went to the Philippines and saw that some of my nieces and nephews are fans of Korean Telenovelas and movies some of them were either redubbed in Tagalog or in some cases redubbed in English. It was on an OTA network in the Philippines like GMA-TV or ABS-CBN TV.

It turns out that there are some neighborhoods around some cities in the Philippines like Angeles City, Clark City and Metro Manila that do have a Korean district. Note the first two Clark and Angeles City, Philippines previously had an American district due to Clark Air Force Base Managed by the United States Air Force from decades past.

I remember some years ago Telefutura and Telemundo used to heavily run old kung fu movies on the weekends. While some were dubbed in Spanish, there were some that were aired in their original language with Spanish subtitles.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom