• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM translators able to originate programs

This next LPFM filing window will clog the FM band and any AM that missed the opportunity to get an FM translator will find they missed the boat and will be sunk.
I know of some stations, in my area, that still don't have a FM Relay in place. Off the top of my head, this is what I can think of.

WHBB AM Selma
WKWL AM Florala
WGYV AM Greenville
WZZA AM Muscle Shoals

I would include WXAL AM Demopolis but once their sister stations are sold, this one will go dark. (WZNJ Demopolis and WINL Linden)​
I would include WXVI AM Montgomery but this one has been silent for over a year and I'm not looking for it to return.

Hope the first four examples will take part in the next AM revitalization window, if one does open. If there are no more windows scheduled to occur, then I have a bad feeling these stations are just living on borrowed time.

I'm with most of you reading, in order for an AM station to survive, they must adapt and get themselves a FM translator. If they don't then the station may as well call it a day. I just don't see how a standalone AM is still surviving, with a better sounding way to listen to the entertainment this long standing medium continues to provide.​

Last edited:
Some people just can't get out of their own way.
Townsquare Laramie, WY didnt apply for one for KOWB 1290, as i understand it, because they werent making enough money to justifyt the cost of building and couldnt prove it would bring in additional revenue to make the cost worth it

Townsquare Laramie, WY didnt apply for one for KOWB 1290, as i understand it, because they werent making enough money to justifyt the cost of building and couldnt prove it would bring in additional revenue to make the cost worth it
That's a valid concern. If you're already overturning sofa cushions looking for loose change to survive, you may not be able to afford a translator. They're right that there is no guarantee renting tower space, legal plus engineering costs would ever be recovered, let alone profitable considering they do news and sports talk.

That's a valid concern. If you're already overturning sofa cushions looking for loose change to survive, you may not be able to afford a translator. They're right that there is no guarantee renting tower space, legal plus engineering costs would ever be recovered, let alone profitable considering they do news and sports talk.
they moved Y95 KCGY to Cheyenne and made it a SE WY "focused" signal, instead of Laramie only... and KOWB 1290 has zero local programming

On the flip side, a local daytimer has two translators on the same tower, which, if this change was allowed, could eventually allow them to add another format, if they so wished. Right now, one translator extends their 1,000 watt signal, while tying up a frequency to keep out a potential competitor.

On the flip side, a local daytimer has two translators on the same tower, which, if this change was allowed, could eventually allow them to add another format, if they so wished. Right now, one translator extends their 1,000 watt signal, while tying up a frequency to keep out a potential competitor.
But as you know, there are a lot of factors to consider like: What is the population within that 1kW AM or the FM translator 40dbU coverage? Having coverage over minimally-populated areas is an unsustainable business model. It goes to the plight of LPFM's, where by design their coverage is severely limited. Watts radiated mean nothing if few people can hear the signal, or advertisers/donors are willing to support it over the long haul.

Interesting that translators are not protected. Quite a few AMs now no longer make any mention of the AM at all aside from the top of the hour IDs. If something would happen to their FM translator (which they now use for their identification...) they'd lose their brand...

Back
Top Bottom