• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Reception Input.

I am putting a 60’ tower this winter and want to get setup with a Analog receiver and FM receive antennas.
What are people using for directional antenna's and for non-directional? Pictured is the Stellar Labs 30-2435 (non-directional), just curious to see what people are using for receivers and outdoor antennas setups.

Attachments

• 1701177702204.jpg
    1701177702204.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 1
I use a Stellar Labs 30-2460 4-element yagi for FM BC. Construction is lightweight and cheesy, however it's on par with most other consumer-type receiving antennas and is a good value (Believe I paid under $30 for it a few years back). It does work, however I've also got a "Deep fringe" VHF/UHF-TV/FM combo LPDA on the same mast roughly 6ft below it, and without referencing forward gain figures, F/B ratio, etc I can tell you that real-world performance is about the same.

There are other, better, more expensive options out there. This company appears to have some very nice offerings:

I've never tried any of their products, but for a serious FM-DX setup it'd be worth considering.

Dan

I use a Stellar Labs 30-2460 4-element yagi for FM BC. Construction is lightweight and cheesy, however it's on par with most other consumer-type receiving antennas and is a good value (Believe I paid under $30 for it a few years back). It does work, however I've also got a "Deep fringe" VHF/UHF-TV/FM combo LPDA on the same mast roughly 6ft below it, and without referencing forward gain figures, F/B ratio, etc I can tell you that real-world performance is about the same.

There are other, better, more expensive options out there. This company appears to have some very nice offerings:

I've never tried any of their products, but for a serious FM-DX setup it'd be worth considering.

Dan
Ty sir!

Do any of you have experience with the Winegard HD8200 VHF/UHF/FM antenna, or similar antenna? The Log Periodics with straight elements and directors tend to have decent gain in the 88-94 MHz region, but fall off below 0 dBd, and a lot below 0 dBd around 104 MHz, where the directors act like wave traps. The Log Periodics with V shaped elements also have decent gain in the 88-94 MHz, but then drop off gradually, no steep drop off trap, but still falling below 0 dBd above 102 MHz. Do any of you have the capability to have two antennas, one nondirectional, to quickly compare, and have an FM tuner with a dB scale signal meter?

I find that people who just listen to NCE-FM 88-92 MHz don't understand why anyone has a problem with the VHF/UHF/FM antennas.

Nothing omni up anymore for FM, but I've got something "Similar" to the HD8200 here. It's an RCA V/U/FM combo LPDA, 150" boom length. I believe it's their model ANT3038XR (See picture, Stellar Labs yagi and LPDA are on the chimney mount).

Honestly never thought about comparing this and the Stellar Labs yagi side by side. It would be an interesting test. The LPDA is 5-6' lower than the yagi, however.

I've got a spectrum analyzer that could be utilized to provide some fairly accurate measurements.
K8PLW-HOME-QTH-ANTENNAS_resized.jpg

K8LPW, I have antenna envy. On the big tower, how far away are the UHF's you're chasing with the four-bays? And is that a baby VHF right below it or something else?

Thanks 😊 The two UHF bowtie arrays are at 60ft, one pointed NW, the other SE. 60-90 miles under normal conditions. And you're correct, there are two Antennacraft 8-element "Mini" V/U antennas (Forget the model) right below the UHF arrays pointed NW and SE as well. These are all usually connected to my rabbitears.info live bandscan tuners.

Since I'm not aiming at anything in particular the lower gain antennas are better. Unfortunately I'm in a suburban area, and most of the television transmitters within our market are clustered
Less than 10 miles from me. The noise floor is high.

K8PLW: that is a very nice set up. Any thoughts about three non-metallic guy wires, possibly something semi-clear for low visual impact? Or- is this a fully-engineered self-supporter with the appropriate concrete base? Solid leg?
I assume you are well grounded, in the electrical sense...

Bill Betten: As you probably know Scala (now part of Kathrein) is the gold standard for FM monitoring antennas

I am thinking of putting an FM antenna on the chimney pole here, replacing a legacy analog TV antenna. Thinking about making my own monopole antenna to keep cost low. Main thing about that is the need for an inductor to provide a DC short across the coax. This can be arranged, but it might be easier to just spend the money and buy a cheap horizontally polarized turnstile. But then I will have to deal with the transformer/balun. Bottom line is I don't want voltage on the antenna damaging the front end of my receiver.

One issue with messing around on the roof is the overwhelming urge to get the antenna higher.
Then we have neighbor and "significant other" issues.

Last edited:
K8PLW: that is a very nice set up. Any thoughts about three non-metallic guy wires, possibly something semi-clear for low visual impact? Or- is this a fully-engineered self-supporter with the appropriate concrete base? Solid leg?

Bill Betten: As you probably know Scala (now part of Kathrein) is the gold standard for FM monitoring antennas

I am thinking of putting an FM antenna on the chimney pole here, replacing a legacy analog TV antenna. Thinking about making my own monopole antenna to keep cost low. Main thing about that is the need for an inductor to provide a DC short across the coax. This can be arranged, but it might be easier to just spend the money and buy a cheap horizontally polarized turnstile. But then I will have to deal with the transformer/balun. Bottom line is I don't want voltage on the antenna damaging the front end of my receiver.

One issue with messing around on the roof is the overwhelming urge to get the antenna higher.
Thanks! The tower is completely self-supporting, rated handle to at least 23 sq.ft. of antenna wind loading. So no guys required. The base is anchored in 8 cu.yd. of concrete (6' x 6'x 6' deep) reinforced w/rebar. Grounding system consists of 6 8' ground rods connected w/ #4 copper in a "radial-ring" around the base and bonded to each leg. All grounding hardware is below grade level. Feedlines are bonded at the base as well. The grounding system then continues underground for another 30', and is connected to another 8' rod before it enters the house. Ground bar & Polyphasers are mounted in a PVC enclosure on the house at the feedline point of entry. This grounding system is bonded to the station ground, utility ground, and plumbing to form a single-point grounding system.

You mentioned building an FM antenna. Ive had excellent results with J-poles I've constructed for the FM BC band. Made from copper pipe. Nothing more than an end-fed 1/2~ radiator, but they perform quite well and are inexpensive to build. Some lightening protection is also afforded in the design since the feedline is electrically shorted at DC.

I have a CL Antenna back in Washington state, I only wish I had brought it with me.

I am putting a 60’ tower this winter and want to get setup with a Analog receiver and FM receive antennas.
What are people using for directional antenna's and for non-directional? Pictured is the Stellar Labs 30-2435 (non-directional), just curious to see what people are using for receivers and outdoor antennas setups.
In 1964, our family put up a turnstile nondirectional FM antenna along with the TV antennas at the top of a 30 foot tower. Under normal conditions, it received probably about 90% of the stations within a 60 mile radius on a regular basis in Genesee County, MI, which took in from the Tri Cities to Detroit Windsor, and to Lansing East Lansing. Not much to the east except Lapeer then.

Today, there are so many frequency duplications from the old fulll power stations, the drop ins in both Canada and the US, LPFMs, translators, and IBOC sidebands that unless you are just listening to strong local stations within 20 miles or so in many directions, it wouldn't be a good choice. Ideally, you want a high gain Yagi Log antenna with good F/B and narrow beam width, on a rotator, 20 to 30 feet up.

This design is similar to what we had starting in 1964.

Last edited:
I think I found it.

View attachment 6184
Close, it's a Cushcraft X7 Tri-bander (10, 15, 20 meters). The TH-11 is a nice antenna though.

In 1964, our family put up a turnstile nondirectional FM antenna along with the TV antennas at the top of a 30 foot tower. Under normal conditions, it received probably about 90% of the stations within a 60 mile radius on a regular basis in Genesee County, MI, which took in from the Tri Cities to Detroit Windsor, and to Lansing East Lansing. Not much to the east except Lapeer then.

Today, there are so many frequency duplications from the old fulll power stations, the drop ins in both Canada and the US, LPFMs, translators, and IBOC sidebands that unless you are just listening to strong local stations within 20 miles or so in many directions, it wouldn't be a good choice. Ideally, you want a high gain Yagi Log antenna with good F/B and narrow beam width, on a rotator, 20 to 30 feet up.

This design is similar to what we had starting in 1964.

I had a turnstile up for years, the <$20 (At the time) Radio Shack version. I believe RS's antennas were actually manufactured by Antennacraft.

I had a Scala 5 element yagi and a Bext 5 element Yagi... the Scala is made out of much better ,sturdy material... and out performs the Bext on f/b ratio and other stuff desp[tie the bext having higher nubmers. why?

The bext is computer modeled.. the Scala is range tested.

Id stay away from CushCraft and Innov antennas.

cushcraft is MFj.. and well i cant repeat their nickname on the radio.

I bought an Innov antenna once.. absolutely the worst customer service ive ever expierienced in my entire life and some outright lies by the company in an email between me and the owner regarding the production process and instructions

I had a Scala 5 element yagi and a Bext 5 element Yagi... the Scala is made out of much better ,sturdy material... and out performs the Bext on f/b ratio and other stuff desp[tie the bext having higher nubmers. why?

The bext is computer modeled.. the Scala is range tested.

Id stay away from CushCraft and Innov antennas.

cushcraft is MFj.. and well i cant repeat their nickname on the radio.

I bought an Innov antenna once.. absolutely the worst customer service ive ever expierienced in my entire life and some outright lies by the company in an email between me and the owner regarding the production process and instructions
Good to know on Innovantennas. I've never known anyone who's actually owned one or done business with them (Until now).

And yes, MFJ has a terrible reputation that's well-deserved, however I lucked out with this antenna. Some missing hardware was the only problem I encountered. Although this particular model existed long before Cushcraft was purchased by MFJ.

Good to know on Innovantennas. I've never known anyone who's actually owned one or done business with them (Until now).

And yes, MFJ has a terrible reputation that's well-deserved, however I lucked out with this antenna. Some missing hardware was the only problem I encountered. Although this particular model existed long before Cushcraft was purchased by MFJ.
itll be more expensive, but if you really want a good directional FM antenna thats sturdy, start talkign to engineers.. thats where my Scala came form, New old stock, dirt cheap from an engineer who needed to clear out his stock.. $100.....!

Back
Top Bottom