• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Promoted in (HD)TV Antenna Infomercial

Did the FCC or FTC ever crack down on the marketers of those plug-in doohickeys that promised reception miracles by using your house's wiring as a super-antenna?
They did:

And more recently against antenna manufacturers falsely claiming that their product will receive cable TV channels like HBO and for having (gasp!) "fabricated testimonials":

An antenna marketed with a 320-mile signal range? GET OUTTA HERE!!!
Even a Korner 19.3 FM yagi at 20 feet probably can't do that on a regular basis unless there's tropo ducting.

An antenna marketed with a 320-mile signal range? GET OUTTA HERE!!!
Their excuse is that they're specifying the maximum possible diameter, not radius. But even picking up a signal from 160 miles away at VHF/UHF frequencies is unlikely under normal atmospheric conditions, unless you have a very powerful transmitter with a very tall transmitting antenna, and a very tall receiving antenna, with perfectly flat terrain between the two.

I might get an HDFree antenna just to have Perfect FM Reception! ;)

IMHO, it's amazing that, considering the selling price of these type antenna systems, that the backers can afford to buy 1/2 hour TV infomercials to advertise them, why not just have some sort of gaudy display at Walmart/Target/Home Depot/Lowe's?

Kirk Bayne

<...>
IMHO, it's amazing that, considering the selling price of these type antenna systems, that the backers can afford to buy 1/2 hour TV infomercials to advertise them, why not just have some sort of gaudy display at Walmart/Target/Home Depot/Lowe's?
Production costs aren't exorbitant; after all, look at the production to confirm that.

According to the pro's here, running that spot in the wee hours of the morning once or twice a week isn't a whole lot. Hook a few night-owls into wandering into a store to see your display, and profit! :LOL:

Their excuse is that they're specifying the maximum possible diameter, not radius. But even picking up a signal from 160 miles away at VHF/UHF frequencies is unlikely under normal atmospheric conditions, unless you have a very powerful transmitter with a very tall transmitting antenna, and a very tall receiving antenna, with perfectly flat terrain between the two.
And the unfortunate byproduct of this sort of snake oil tech which, in reality, doesn't defy the laws of physics; Grandma Frisbee blames her local TV station(s) for not being able to receive free OTA TV. I've personally received many of those calls, or angry E-mails over the years.

Even considering only on average 19% of the total U.S. audience watches OTA?
I thought it was closer to 25% now. And even if it isn't, 19% is still more than it was even 5 years ago -- 10-15% depending on the market, IIRC, with New York being one notable exception.

WMC NBC 5 and WHBQ Fox 13 in Memphis aren't receivable in my area because of their going back to their original channels, even though I can get most of the full power stations that are on UHF. It was definitely a dumb move for them.
WMC has a constriction permit to move to RF30 but its only 515,000 watts it may not still get to Jackson full time
The reason WMC went back to RF5 was their pre-conversion station (52) would be out of core and at a different location than the 5 transmitter and they figured it was easier to use the existing transmitter and station for digital

WMC has a constriction permit to move to RF30 but its only 515,000 watts it may not still get to Jackson full time
The reason WMC went back to RF5 was their pre-conversion station (52) would be out of core and at a different location than the 5 transmitter and they figured it was easier to use the existing transmitter and station for digital
Is the translatoro n channel 32 for Dyersburg on now? it looks like it might be according to Rabbit Ears.

Here is the map of what WMC has for the 2 translators in TN + their CP for RF30. The RF5 map shows it close to Jackson
coverage map
Thanks for the info. I live in Alamo, which is between the red and blue lines for 32, so I might be able to get it with an outdoor antenna, but I would have to face it where I lose signals from Memphis and Jackson. I'll probably try it soon.

Kirk Bayne
Because if they put some kind of guady display in those stores as you suggest, 1) It costs them $$$ money to have their displays featured in those stores and 2) They'll only market/sell to people physically visiting those stores. Marketing via late night TV doesn't cost much and gets their product in front of potentially millions of eyes. Most of the gullible folks who buy the products won't bother returning them when they don't work, and if they can sell enough of them, they make scads of $$.

The other way to answer your question would be to look at folks like Mike Levey and Ron Popeil. Those folks made millions selling their junk on TV, sometimes via short-form commercials but more often with full-length 30 minute infomercials.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom