• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Frequency of the Week: 96.3

Hartland, VT:

Interesting frequency. At this location, it's oldies WFYX Walpole, NH, but head north barely 5 miles and W242AG Quechee, VT (translator of religious preaching/teaching WGLV Woodstock) takes over. Despite the "LV" ("love") in the call, WGLV is not owned by EMF but rather a Vermont-based ministry.

Meriden, CT:

Nothing but a bit of splatter from WTIC-FM Hartford at 96.5.

Tyler, TX.

Next door to local classic rocker (as mentioned in last week's FOTW), 96.3 is, like in CT's experience, somewhat of an interesting frequency here. Many times, you'll hear new country KSCS from DFW here on the north side. Fairly weak to fairly good reception, sometimes even sending the digital signal this far east. Head across town to the south side and the country music authority from Dallas-Fort Worth is covered up by the little engine that could, hip hop outlet "Hot 96.3" KZXL Hudson (Lufkin-Nacogdoches). It, like KSCS, varies dramatically in signal strength.

Melbourne FL

96.3 is overshadowed here by WOEX 96.5 Orlando

only other reception:
W242AC - Port St. Lucie FL - Christian FM - Cont. Christian //91.9 - 2003

In NW WA, 96.3 is splatter from CHKG Vancouver and KXXO Olympia on 96.1 and KJAQ Seattle 96.5.

Side note: I once heard WBBM-FM Chicago in Vantage, WA via e-skip. No trace of KRCW anywhere. Really strong for about 15 minutes.

Wilmington Delaware

Normally an open frequency. However WHUR Washington DC makes occasional appearances. In the distant past I have logs for WQXR NYC (before they moved to 105.9) and WRHT Morehead City NC.

Here in Plainfield Indiana, it is WYHX on 96.3 from Indy. It is a Bible Broadcasting Network station. It used to be WHHH before being divested when Urban One bought the Emmis stations.

Denver, CO -
Just a little spillover from local KXPK at 96.5.

No full-power stations on this frequency in Colorado or Wyoming! The nearest to me appears to be KERP, Ingalls, KS (between Garden City and Dodge City).

Clifton, New Jersey

I get WXNY-FM New York, NY. Currently, La X 96.3 is on analog and HD1, a simulcast of WADO 1280 AM on HD2, Radio Russkaya Reklama on HD3, and Radio Freedom FM on HD4.

Retro: For many years, 96.3 was the home of Classical music station WQXR-FM. On October 8, 2009, it moved to 105.9 in a frequency swap with Univision-owned WCAA Newark, NJ. One week later, WCAA changed call letters to WXNY-FM.

Nearly hopeless here in Rochester, less than a mile from full class B WCMF on 96.5. Before WCMF went HD, a good tropo day could sometimes bring in CFMK/CKWS-FM across the lake in Kingston, or CFMZ in Toronto. But that's very rare.

Fun memories of listening to WBBM-FM (Chicago) about 40 years ago while my family was on vacation in Door County, Wisconsin, a distance of about 250 miles. I wish I could remember how often I could hear Chicago FM stations there -- I remember several. It seemed like more often than a rarity. The path is mostly over water. I guess you'd call that a trope event?

In the Wilkes-Barre(Northeast PA) area, I mostly pick up W242CY, a translator from Berwick rebroadcasting CHR/Hot AC "Pop Radio" WBWX 1280 out of Berwick with a decent signal using my SPARC HD radio. The signal can be picked up well outdoors and in the hallway on the top floor of my house. "Pop Radio" is owned by Seven Mountains Media, which also owns the combination of Bigfoot Country stations on 106.5 from Bloomsburg, and locally on 107.7 from Dallas(serves W-B) as "Bigfoot Legends". It can also be heard on 94.7, and now(as of this writing), 107.1! Even though translators from 30 miles supposedly not to reach here according to the coverage map below, one must have been lucky to pick it up with the antenna extended fully outside.(I am located just outside the "blue" fringe area).

W242CY_FX_LU.gif

Before this translator signed on, I can sometimes pick up religious WJSA from Jersey Shore(near Williamsport) when there is a tropo opening. Also, despite having this translator, last October during a big tropo event, I picked up traces of WHUR Howard University R&B station from Washington, DC.

Central Kentucky:

WXKY Stanford. 25 KW.
K-Love for the Somerset, South Central Ky area. Previous calls were WRSL.
Can be heard well south Lexington

Back
Top Bottom