• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Frequency of the Week: 90.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilmington Delaware

Local WRTI Philadelphia from Temple University. It is not a 'college' station as it has professional DJ's with 12 hours of Classical and 12 hours of Jazz music with NPR news. An unwelcome visitor on summer mornings is WCSP in DC which interrupts my Mozart with political talk. It is strong enough at times to show the WCSP call sign on my car radio on my way to work.

90.1 MHz

no locals - kw - Melbourne FL

Occasionally if opening to north central Florida

WJUF-FM - Inverness FL - University of Florida //89.1 WUFT-FM Gainesville

Empty frequency both in Hartland, VT, and Meriden, CT. Not even a translator. Only weak, unreadable signals even during enhanced reception.

Best I can do is a splattered on, and difficult to give a listen, KERA Dallas with public radio. We have an adjacent in Tyler, KBJS @ 90.3, that makes quite a mess of either side of the channel. No worries, though. KERA has a translator readily available for your listening pleasure, here in the City of Roses, at 100.1.

Mankato, MN
Nothing

Lake house (14 miles south of Aitkin, MN
KSJR Collegeville (St. Cloud area) Minnesota Public Radio News.
(Cuts in and out being pretty far away)

South Mississippi:

normally nothing due to HD sidebands on 89.9 and 90.3
WMPR Jackson, MS - (gospel, blues, etc.)
KPFT Houston - Pacifica Radio
KERA Dallas - NPR
KSAU Nacogdoches, TX - The Axe
WUCX Bay City, MI - Delta College Public Radio
XHRYS Reynosa, Tamaulipas - Hits 90.1
KCFR Denver - Colorado Public Radio

It's a weak KOLU Pasco WA here in Yakima (Christian Family Radio) but puts a decent signal up on the Yakima hills (Scenic Dr, Englewood) 2-3 bars at times, out of 5. No other stations heard on tropo. A few e-skip logs.

KSJR Collegeville MN (MPR Classical)
KCFR Denver CO (NPR)
KYCC Stockton CA (Christian Contemporary)
KILI Porcupine SD (Native American)

That's what Gulf tropo can do! For some DXers, Matamoros and Houston become so common, they are almost like pests during the tropo season.

That's what Gulf tropo can do! For some DXers, Matamoros and Houston become so common, they are almost like pests during the tropo season.
During my three years in southeast Arkansas, the tropo regulars were Pensacola, Mobile and Pascagoula. Never heard anything from Texas. Does Gulf Coast tropo only work east to west?

During my three years in southeast Arkansas, the tropo regulars were Pensacola, Mobile and Pascagoula. Never heard anything from Texas. Does Gulf Coast tropo only work east to west?
It's usually east or west, but normally not both directions at the same time. I've received as far west as San Antonio and east to Orlando, but never heard anything from Tennessee or Northern Mississippi, and Arkansas is very rare.

Manchester area, UK: Legacy 90.1, a Black LPFM community radio station from the south of the city. Lots of Black talk programming interspersed with music of various African and Caribbean styles. They started out years ago under the name Peace FM. The transmitter is a standard setup for the type of station - 50 watts from a couple of folded dipoles on a random tall building.

Manchester area, UK: Legacy 90.1, a Black LPFM community radio station from the south of the city. Lots of Black talk programming interspersed with music of various African and Caribbean styles. They started out years ago under the name Peace FM. The transmitter is a standard setup for the type of station - 50 watts from a couple of folded dipoles on a random tall building.
I took a look at Legacy 90.1's website and noticed that the station is going to "move onto DAB" starting in June. Does that mean abandoning analog FM or simply adding a DAB transmission? I also didn't see a "listen now" button so I assume the financial hurdles for doing so are too much for a small broadcaster to clear.

I took a look at Legacy 90.1's website and noticed that the station is going to "move onto DAB" starting in June. Does that mean abandoning analog FM or simply adding a DAB transmission? I also didn't see a "listen now" button so I assume the financial hurdles for doing so are too much for a small broadcaster to clear.
They will add DAB and stay on FM, at least for now. There are moves afoot in the UK to allow this type of community LPFM to access the DAB platform, with small-scale local licenses being issued for towns and cities, including one for Manchester. Normally, these are run by a group of the existing LPFMs. This has the effect of greatly increasing the available spectrum for new stations - you can fit around 30 stations onto each of these DAB licenses - as well as giving small FM-only stations access to DAB, which is now the default in most new cars. FM-only stations are at a discoverability disadvantage, a bit like AM-only stations in the US.

I was in Blackpool, a relatively small market and coastal resort, recently. The small-scale DAB there is already on air and on my car radio I was able to receive no fewer than 12 local stations specific to Blackpool in an area that previously had zero, including dance, rock and even show tunes formats as well as a couple of new full-service local stations (I was particularly impressed with Coastal Radio). It's a huge listener choice increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom