• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Frequency of the Week 2018-19: 102.1

FM frequency of the week: 102.1

Up one slot to 102.1. which for me in East Tennessee is local WWST (Star 102.1), Sevierville (serving Knoxville) TN---the original WSEV-FM. In the brief times I’ve caught them off, nothing else has appeared.

RETRO/OTHER: Dayton, OH area-most of the time it was WIMT, T102 in Lima, especially in northern suburbs. Sometimes WDNL in Danville, IL made it in. Once I caught WWST weakly but identifiable.

Lafayette IN-usually WDNL-D102 Danville IL. Sometimes WIMT would sneak over.

RETRO DX CLIP OF THE WEEK FROM BOB HAWKINS:
The present-day WIMT spent a brief time as WIQA, using the moniker Q102. Taft Broadcasting sent a C&D because of their own WKRQ in Cincinnati. Lima Broadcasting had taken the former WIMA-FM live, but in this clip was still using the Country Lovin’ jingle from their automated format.

http://46124.info/FM/Ohio/OH Lima 102.1 1982 WIQA.mp3

In Charleston itself 102.1 is an oldies translator (W271CP). It translates for our local 1450 AM. Called the City. Actually a really good oldies format. They still play 60s music on there unlike most stations in 2019. It also has the rights for Citadel football.

But during skip episodes the K-Love station from Savannah, which was WZAT (which just flipped after being a “Format of the Month” club station for most of the last decade) overpowers it.

Just in the last decade (after flipping from the dependable Z-102 top 40 format) that has been two different versions of hot AC, Nash Icon country, and two different versions of sports (both ESPN and CBS).

Yes, a 100KW sports station. With one local show in afternoon drive (that it didn’t add for a couple of years after they flipped). It did have the Braves rights for several seasons.

102.1 here northwest of Chicago is usually splatter from the Chicago 101.9, but occasionally WLUM from Milwaukee is able to break through.

102.1 in Yakima is a strong KPQ Wenatchee, off Mission Peak. Huge signal, reaches most of central and eastern WA. I've heard them rock-solid in Kennewick, and in multiple places near Seattle.
KTRA Farmington NM was caught here via Es a couple years ago, overpowering KPQ. 102.1 hasn't had any other Es in Yakima. KSWW Ocean Shores were heard west of Rimrock once, in a careful KPQ null.

When I lived near Seattle, I logged the aforementioned KTRA, KSMT Breckenridge CO, and KPRI San Diego (now KLVJ) on Eskip.

Here in Nashvegas, 102.1 is occupied by a 250 watt translator for 102.5 WPRT "The Game", Pegram, TN - a Class C1 100K stick 974ft HAAT some twenty odd miles outside of Nashville.

RETRO: circa 1986 near Staunton, VA (Shenandoah Valley) I was hunting for reception of Richmond's WRXL on this frequency, a hard catch given the modest output, and the blue ridge mountains to contend with. Thought I'd found it, too. Music sounded right... and the signal was booming in. Imagine my shock at the break when I found out I was listening to "TEXAS BEST ROCK, Q-1-0-2" from about 1,000 miles away. Never confirmed a tropo-ducting or e-skip anything like that ever again, although when I later lived in Dallas I found that cloudy summer morning FM radio was... interesting.

Mason City, IA:
Usually nothing and lots of RF bleedover from KLSS (106.1) or KIAI (93.9), though I did get a toss up of KUQQ from Okoboji and KEEY from the Cities for a brief bit a few days ago

Central KS:
Strong signal from KZSN/Hutchinson

With a good radio here in west Bremerton, WA, KPQ "The Quake 102.1" from Wenatchee (With it's transmitter on Mission Ridge) manages to make it over the Cascades and land here with a full stereo signal. Head over to east Bremerton, and KSWW "Sunny 102.1" from Aberdeen takes over.

From Reynoldsburg, Ohio, it's WCRM-LP transmitting from the north side of Columbus (off Morse Road maybe a mile east of Interstate 71) with largely African talk and music.
By the time you hit Dublin, the northwestern-most suburb of Columbus, WCRM is fading and WIMT from Lima (the previously mentioned T102) is breaking in with a potent 11,000 watts of country from Lima. It is by far that city's best signal, AM or FM, transmitting from almost 1,100 feet above ground level in north central Auglaize County.

Last edited:
I missed the boat on some of these upper band frequencies the first time around, so here goes...

Lexington, KY:
Always a strong-fair signal from semi-local/rimshot Classic Hits WKYL, Lawrenceburg (6kW @ 238' ~21 mi.)

Zachary, LA (Baton Rouge area):
Weak signal from 80's/90's Variety Hits KYBG, Basile (Lafayette area) (96kW @ 981' ~83 mi.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom