• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

(FM) Changing frequency for branding

I wonder why even dredge up something that's 15 years in the past.
Welcome to Radio Discussions! Are you new here?
Generally the only things discussed in current time is: A. 6+ratings being published. B. Political topics. C. Why radio doesn't cater to teens or folks over 55.
Everything else is at least 10-30 years past.
This is generally the problem with talk radio: going over past grievances time and time again is tedious and ultimately chases away listeners. Radio should be fun; most talk radio is anything but.
People who listen to talk radio get angry. Anger fires dopamine. They tune in every day for their dopamine shot.

I wonder why even dredge up something that's 15 years in the past.

This is generally the problem with talk radio: going over past grievances time and time again is tedious and ultimately chases away listeners. Radio should be fun; most talk radio is anything but.

Fun fact: instead of "dredge" in my first sentence, I almost typed "drudge".
Without a historical knowledge of the progression of problems that plague us today, you remain ignorant and uniformed, incapable of offering your own objective analysis.
But, regurgitating talking points from those you chose to do your thinking for you sure is easier and the preferred method of the simple minded and morally void.
There's good money to be made by radio stations who provide programming to such people who want to be told what to think through advertisers buying time on those stations and rich power players writing huge checks as donations for those who claim non-profit (complete with those who make the largest personal profit for themselves working for those stations and defending them on radio discussion boards like this one).

You started out your post claiming that the Times did not imply an affair, then proceeded to provide the exact proof that they implied that he had an affair.
Read it again. Slowly:

WASHINGTON Early in Senator John McCain’s first run for the White House eight years ago, waves of anxiety swept through his small circle of advisers.

A female lobbyist had been turning up with him at fund-raisers, visiting his offices and accompanying him on a client’s corporate jet. Convinced the relationship had become romantic, some of his top advisers intervened to protect the candidate from himself instructing staff members to block the woman’s access, privately warning her away and repeatedly confronting him, several people involved in the campaign said on the condition of anonymity.

When news organizations reported that Mr. McCain had written letters to government regulators on behalf of the lobbyist’s client, the former campaign associates said, some aides feared for a time that attention would fall on her involvement.

Mr. McCain, 71, and the lobbyist, Vicki Iseman, 40, both say they never had a romantic relationship. But to his advisers, even the appearance of a close bond with a lobbyist whose clients often had business before the Senate committee Mr. McCain led threatened the story of redemption and rectitude that defined his political identity.

That's not implication of an affair. It's the reporting of a legitimate concern over ethics, which also included a denial of an affair from the Senator and the lobbyist.
This team red vs. team blue stuff is destroying this country.
This isn't team red vs. team blue to me. It's team facts vs team falsehood.
I'd really love to know how you actually feel. Is their even the most remote trace of remorse or guilt in violating your own morality and integrity?
Calling you on stuff like this is an act of morality and integrity.
This type of thing is funny when you claim that your team lost because the ref threw the flag for holding and accompany that statement with the video evidence where your team's safety is clearly holding the receiver.
It's not funny when it's about a Presidential election.
I don't even know what that analogy is supposed to mean, but if you're still suggesting that the Times piece in February cost John McCain the election, let's remember that he won the GOP nomination in August and led Obama in the polls until roughly the week after Sarah Palin's first on-camera interviews.
McCain is a war hero, yet he really had no choice but to not talk as he would have destroyed his family's legacy that his father so patriotically built up. The Vietcong thought he would be the one to talk but he would be the last one to because if he destroyed his family's legacy, he could have never came back to this country.
Not sure that a 17-minute news conference the very next day, with Mrs. McCain at his side, qualifies as "not talking":

McCain Response to <em>New York Times</em> Article
With that said, as a politician he was a shady character.
If that's true, and how you feel, then the Times doing a piece on his imprudence as regards ethics violations or the appearance of them would seem prescient, wouldn't it?
But none of this gives reason to discount or reject this clear example of extreme ideological bias.
The New York Times' piece on the Clintons' involvement in the Whitewater scandal came roughly at the same point in the 1992 primary cycle.
The note to readers retraction in it's unprecedented wording for the New York Times I guess can be just an inconvenient truth for those whose morality is compromised, or maybe never has existed. I guess some people are very careful to make sure that their home be mirror free.
The note to readers says "The article did not state, and the Times did not intend to conclude that Ms. Iseman had engaged in a romantic affair with Sen. McCain or an unethical relationship on behalf of her clients in breach of the public trust."

And, in fact, the article did not state that and the Times did not conclude that. It appears, however, that fifteen years on, some people think it did.

You started out your post claiming that the Times did not imply an affair, then proceeded to provide the exact proof that they implied that he had an affair.
This team red vs. team blue stuff is destroying this country. I'd really love to know how you actually feel. Is their even the most remote trace of remorse or guilt in violating your own morality and integrity?
This type of thing is funny when you claim that your team lost because the ref threw the flag for holding and accompany that statement with the video evidence where your team's safety is clearly holding the receiver.
It's not funny when it's about a Presidential election.
McCain is a war hero, yet he really had no choice but to not talk as he would have destroyed his family's legacy that his father so patriotically built up. The Vietcong thought he would be the one to talk but he would be the last one to because if he destroyed his family's legacy, he could have never came back to this country.
With that said, as a politician he was a shady character.
But none of this gives reason to discount or reject this clear example of extreme ideological bias. The note to readers retraction in it's unprecedented wording for the New York Times I guess can be just an inconvenient truth for those whose morality is compromised, or maybe never has existed. I guess some people are very careful to make sure that their home be mirror free.
Let's try to keep this at least remotely related to radio. This is not a political discussion group.

their Facebook account sees that and starts feeding them even more of the same drivel in their news feed, just reinforcing the misinformation they already believed to be true.
Back when my Internet at home was too slow for Facebook (also a reason I refused to try new ways to listen to radio), I went there once a week at the library. No time to look at a news feed! So I never have.

Welcome to Radio Discussions! Are you new here?

Actually, yes!;)

You can read my introductory post if you like.
People who listen to talk radio get angry. Anger fires dopamine. They tune in every day for their dopamine shot.

I like to say that "the purpose of advertising is to induce artificial anxiety to get you to buy something to alleviate that anxiety". So, yes, I see the game. I just choose not to play it, and have a low opinion of those who do.

I like to say that "the purpose of advertising is to induce artificial anxiety to get you to buy something to alleviate that anxiety". So, yes, I see the game. I just choose not to play it, and have a low opinion of those who do.
Really? So you've never been motivated to purchase a product or service from an ad?

Really? So you've never been motivated to purchase a product or service from an ad?
I should state that I bought a radio after seeing an ad for the specific model on this site.

There are other products I have bought recently after seeing them advertised but I can't think of them right now.

I should state that I bought a radio after seeing an ad for the specific model on this site.

There are other products I have bought recently after seeing them advertised but I can't think of them right now.
I was actually asking/replying to Mark based on his post, but good to know, Chimp..

Going through boxes of airchecks, I've found one from KSAS Liberty, MO (Kansas City) in 1980. KSAS was a short-lived album rock station that called itself "KSAS 106 1/2". Actually, just about every format at 106.5 was short-lived until WDAF-FM came along. The sticker with the station's logo could still be seen, stuck on a stop sign in Kansas City's Brookside neighborhood, well into the 1990s. The sticker outlived the station by at least 15 years!

106.5 broadcast disco type music ~1990 for year or so, I bought many cassette singles of the songs (no Google - I had to write down some of the lyrics and try to match that to the cassette singles Musicland had for sale).

This was one of the few times I listened to FM at home and my Radio Shack FM->AM car radio converter was always set to 106.5 during this time.

Kirk Bayne

106.5 broadcast disco type music ~1990 for year or so, I bought many cassette singles of the songs (no Google - I had to write down some of the lyrics and try to match that to the cassette singles Musicland had for sale).

This was one of the few times I listened to FM at home and my Radio Shack FM->AM car radio converter was always set to 106.5 during this time.

Kirk Bayne
Then-KXXR had a pretty good Rock 40 format with really cheeky imaging and presentation - which also had a meteoric ratings rise in 1989, then a fall almost as quick in the following year. Format changed to CHR on June 15, 1990. Then on February 15, 1992 there was the messy deal that landed the KXXR format on the 107.3 rimshot signal. Also remember that *that* was briefly on an AM simulcast on that 1510 signal in Independence that KCTE later started on.

I’ve got a clip of when 106.5 was country as CJ106 in the mid 90s, it sounded pretty good
I've got their final moments, with Kelly Urich. Then it was the stunt format, mostly polkas, for a few weeks before the smooth-jazz format could be installed.

I recall visiting Baltimore MD in the fall in 1984, I listened to WXYV-FM all the time in the rental car.

The WXYV-FM branding was V103 (jingle) with a voiceover that said "digital 102.7"

KMBR-FM (beautiful music) used the "Stereo 100" branding for years (even though the signal was at 99.7).

Kirk Bayne

Similar in Chicago for WMTX.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom